How good can Sean Day become?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Erik Karlsson, but American. :naughty:

But in all seriousness, I think he can become a solid second pairing who can run a PP.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I keep thinking John Moore. Remember that we were really big on Moore when he first came here and put some good games together. Big strong fast kid, nice to watch when he's not messing up, can make a pretty play, but no consistent offense (Day's points went up but not way up), not a shutdown guy either, mental mistakes. If Day makes it to the league, getting John Moore in the third round is basically fine.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Love Day

I think he will be an NHL player at a minimum. His skating and build alone point to that being the case

I think he could become a top pairing guy if he puts it all together

I think he settles as a middle pairing guy

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Hi offensive ceiling is almost limitless, he's got ridiculous tools.
It's very unlikely he reaches that ceiling though, let's be honest about that.
But his skating and size alone should make him an NHLer, after that we'll see.

The John Moore comparison is pretty okey but Day has another level when it comes to skating, size and hands then Moore had.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Ceiling, if absolutely everything works out?

I would say 2nd pairing 2-way defenseman. I think anyone hoping for him to reach 1st pairing levels of skill is a pipe dream.

But a realistic goal would be a 3rd pairing guy. John Moore isn't a terrible comparable, which as noted isn't terrible for his draft position.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

I would say 2nd pairing 2-way defenseman. I think anyone hoping for him to reach 1st pairing levels of skill is a pipe dream.

But a realistic goal would be a 3rd pairing guy. John Moore isn't a terrible comparable, which as noted isn't terrible for his draft position.

Ceiling if everything pans out? #1 D-man who scores 50+ points a season.

Now, that's not a likely scenario but the upside is definitely there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think his upside is top 4. He has great tools--skating especially. His puck movement is very good. He has all the size and strength he needs. I don't think he's going to get away with the end to end rushes that seemed to lead to a number of his goals in the NHL. He's not been particularly point productive--so to make it to that top 4 upside his defending is going to have to be good. I think he has the goods to be an NHL player but he's going to have to work at it to hit his upside. All in all it was a good pick.

.....as for Zborovskiy--he's a different player than Day--he's ahead of Day as far as knowing how to defend. He's not as dynamic a skater or a puck mover. I could see him being a reliable bottom pairing d-man though He's a pretty decent prospect.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Day can become anything, frankly. It's really up to him. He's hilariously skilled, but he comes with faulty work-ethic and some other red flags (hockey IQ being one of them).

But the guy is just tremendously skilled. You don't see guys of his size come with the raw skills he has that often. He could end up as a top pairing guy. He could end up as a bottom pairing AHLer. It's truly up to him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Day can become anything, frankly. It's really up to him. He's hilariously skilled, but he comes with faulty work-ethic and some other red flags (hockey IQ being one of them).

But the guy is just tremendously skilled. You don't see guys of his size come with the raw skills he has that often. He could end up as a top pairing guy. He could end up as a bottom pairing AHLer. It's truly up to him.

I'm picturing the old HF website listing him as an 8.0F prospect.

Haven't seen Day play much but I remember reading main boards posters after we picked him comparing his upside to Jay Bouwmeester/Brian Campbell.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

I think his ceiling is top pair, IMHO. His offensive output could be really, really good.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
His ceiling is Norris trophy winner [considering being a great defender is no longer a requirement for winning this]. His floor is 3rd pairing defenseman who can run a PP. John Michael Liles is his floor. He is so laughably underrated due to the whole CHL thing. Laughably. Our own fans have not seen him skate. Even when he doesn't want to play he has a god given ability to move the puck. In the Rangers system he can put up a lot of points. If Brady Skjei put up 39 pts as a rookie in this system, just imagine what Sean Day is gonna do.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Some mention his lack of production, while true there's a reason for it. He didn't get that much time on the PP with Sergachev hogging those minutes.
Sergachev pretty much played 1:30 of every 2min PP, Days 5v5 production looks solid actually.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
His skating and toe drag moves are better than any prospect I have seen currently in our organization. It is actually his defense and decision making that are the question marks.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
His ceiling is Norris trophy winner [considering being a great defender is no longer a requirement for winning this]. His floor is 3rd pairing defenseman who can run a PP. Jean Michael Liles is his floor. He is so laughably underrated due to the whole CHL thing. Laughably. Our own fans have not seen him skate. Even when he doesn't want to play he has a god given ability to move the puck. In the Rangers system he can put up a lot of points. If Brady Skjei put up 39 pts as a rookie in this system, just imagine what Sean Day is gonna do.

084.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe like Brady Skjei of last season is about his ceiling.

I think we gotta separate the ES hype, and the current ceiling, floor. He's not going to be the second reincarnation of Bobby Orr. That type of game isn't in his locker. He lacks absolute elite defensive capability, even if he reaches his highest defensive ceiling. And while he's a good passer and shooter, I find it hard to believe he's going to be HOF level at those attributes. His hockey IQ is also questionable, at best.

So I think we should do some separating here. The previous ceiling people talked about was when he was 14 or 15, and had years to develop. Now? He's just any other good prospect with some potential.

I feel like people can't accept this, and want to cling onto Day being Bobby Orr 2.0. But surely he could be a good, maybe very good NHL'er, and his floor is probably like a John Moore. He's still a player with a high ceiling, but its probably not as high as it was 3 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad