How good can Sean Day become?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If someone held a gun to me and told me to give me their honest answer of what I think he turns into, my answer is a career AHL defenseman.

I think the likelihood of him busting is much higher than him making it as a regular in the NHL. (even though I use the term "busting" lightly since he was a 3rd round pick after all)

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Thanks for the info. Do you think he gets a spot with the NYR this year?
He just finished his overage year in the OHL, if he impresses enough in camp he could earn a spot but there is a lot of competition for those spots. I think its more likely that he will get a mid season call-up if he plays well in Hartford, but if i had to bet he wouldn't see extended time in the NHL this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
what do you guys think of Sean Day now. Will he make the Rangers? or is he a bust

( I'm in a sim league, trying to gauge his value)

I wouldn’t call him a bust, but he’s not that good. Doubt he plays more than 100 games in the NHL, if he even gets there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We all know his status in coming into the OHL and how much he fell of. But he has the talent. Do you guys think he can become something special? Or decent at least?

I don’t see much talent in him at all to be honest. He is an OK young hockey player that isn’t really good in any area. I don’t think he moves that well overall, he isn’t very coordinated in how he moves around the puck. Big and strong.

Ceiling is Aaron Ward type. John Moore.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don’t see much talent in him at all to be honest. He is an OK young hockey player that isn’t really good in any area. I don’t think he moves that well overall, he isn’t very coordinated in how he moves around the puck. Big and strong.

He's an elite skater. Hed easily be one of the 10 best skating defenseman in the nhl right now. He's also got fantastic size. He was outta shape but it's improved a lot. His issues are lack of awareness...inconsistent play and a horror show of reads in his own zone. The tools are all there...physically...to bring a top pair nhl defenseman. I do wonder tho if the other things will keep him off nhl ice forever. Hard to say.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
So real scouts across the board say he skates like Paul Coffey and you say he doesn't move that well. Ok. Thus, why I never listen to all the wanna be scouts on these boards. The negative scouting reports basically have all said the same thing. Desire and between the ears. Sometimes, you can't fix stupid. I never had any expectations for him. I don't see him even approaching the NHL until he plays 2 years in the AHL. Honestly, he needs to have his butt kicked for 82 games in the AHL before he might have a chance to finally figure it out.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
With the three defenseman acquired at the deadline and the first two rounders this year, it really doesn't matter if Day makes it IMO. The system is freakin stacked on defense and in goal. What we really need is a couple of wings like Gropp and Ronning to step it up big time in the AHL this year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's an elite skater. Hed easily be one of the 10 best skating defenseman in the nhl right now. He's also got fantastic size. He was outta shape but it's improved a lot. His issues are lack of awareness...inconsistent play and a horror show of reads in his own zone. The tools are all there...physically...to bring a top pair nhl defenseman. I do wonder tho if the other things will keep him off nhl ice forever. Hard to say.

People say that but to be honest, I am not even remotely seing it.

It is an ‘emperors new cloaths’-thing. Exceptional status, he was surely a great skater for his size when he was 14-15, and people just project what they want to see based on what they have read to what they see on the ice.

Good skater when heading up ice, probably above average for a NHL D, and just mediocre in all other areas compared to the average NHL D (say a Steven Kampfer). Going backwards, agility, acceleration.

I would compare his skating to Grachevs. There were some videos of Grachev setting of on breakaways leaving kids in the dust. But when he played like in the WJC and the pace around him was high he was overall downright immobile, 6’5 tank moving around against faster players in 9/10 sequences. Many claimed that Grachev was a great skating 6’5 PF with skill. He wasn’t.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I haven't heard anything overwhelmingly convincing that would suggest Gropp has an NHL future, but he is still pretty damn young. He definitely would need to add another dimension to his game because his game most likely won't transfer over to the NHL. Ronning I can see becoming a fixture in the NHL once he spends a year or two acclimating to the pro's.

Day is intriguing, but his chances of ever playing a game for this team are pretty damn slim. It was a gamble worth taking in the 3rd round though. If by some stroke of luck he irons out his issues he could eventually turn into one hell of a player with size that we are sorely lacking.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With his skillset--the skating, the ability to move with the puck and move the puck I can see Day very easily getting NHL time. The question really is whether he can stick and for him to stick he's going to need to get better defensively and more consistent. This is an issue with a lot of young defensemen though. IMO those expecting a lot of point production out of Day are going to be sadly disappointed. If he does make it I see him more in a 5-6--maybe even 7 role and IMO he's going to have to get to a point where he's at least adequate on a penalty kill. Defensemen who can't get by with offense--need to play good defense and his being dependable in 4V5 situations would greatly enhance his ability to not just make it but to stay.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Realistically, he doesn't project as and is not on a trajectory toward being a regular NHL defenseman.

He's still young so the book can be rewritten but based on what we know and have now that's the most likely projection.

As for bumper of this thread, I would definitely not assume he's with the big club next year even for a few games.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Realistically, he doesn't project as and is not on a trajectory toward being a regular NHL defenseman.

As for bumper of this thread, I would definitely not assume he's with the big club next year even for a few games.

IMO he might be a victim of the numbers game and spend a lot of time in the ECHL this coming season. The Rangers have a lot of D.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

This is one of the biggest exaggerations I've seen on the boards in awhile.

Look he is a fantastic skater FOR HIS SIZE, but saying right now he would be a top 10 skating defenseman in the NHL is so laughable.

There is not a chance in hell he becomes a top pair defenseman in the NHL. He might have had that potential when he was 15 years old but his development has been less than ideal.

Reactions: SvenHelfenstein

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Great skater but no positioning and no outlet pass that isn't some late-stage Girardi-esque handoff to other team

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If he had IQ and a work ethic he’d be a surefire top 4 dman. Unfortunately those are two things you cant teach, and he has neither

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Just about his shape and I'll add work-ethic onto this because I think it goes together, I was told by someone who I'm pretty sure has good sources on this that the improvements aren't as big as people make it out to be. I was told it went from catastrophically bad to really bad. No, I'm not an inside info person, but this is something I was told by someone who I think knows what they are saying about this.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
My expectations aren't very high.

If he can stick in the AHL all year and show improvement in both end zones throughout the season, I will consider that a success.

Reactions: haveandare

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Skating is more than straight-line speed and fluidity. Day checks a lot of blocks in the "very good" to "excellent" categories in all areas of skating -- agility, lateral, backwards, closing, first step, pivoting, edges.

He's simply not a smart player. But he deserves a shot in the AHL. Don't see him leapfrogging the new kids they got; some who can skate almost as well but are infinitely more cerebral and complete.

If he does well in the AHL, you can trade him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Brandon Smith?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I keep thinking John Moore. Remember that we were really big on Moore when he first came here and put some good games together. Big strong fast kid, nice to watch when he's not messing up, can make a pretty play, but no consistent offense (Day's points went up but not way up), not a shutdown guy either, mental mistakes. If Day makes it to the league, getting John Moore in the third round is basically fine.

John Moore is where I see him too. It really is too early though. For example, say he's starting in HFD and we see him get 60 pts in his first season down there, suddenly things start opening up. His skating should be a strength in today's NHL (I'm not mistaken that he has pretty good skating am I?) but I'm having a hard time picturing his game translating at a high end level in the NHL like can't see him potting more than 20 points right now.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, anyone who doesn't think Sean Day is a fantastic skater either has a bias against him or hasn't watched him play.
I'm still of the opinion that his skating and size alone will take him to the NHL, he needs to improve a lot in the other areas to stick though, but teams will give him chances because of those elite attributes.

Reactions: Inferno

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Kind of surprised the cut Zborovskiy. You heard all kind of things he lacked with skill but every time the guy played, the other team pretty much didn't score. There is something to be said for that. However, we all know the Rangers don't value stay at home defenseman who clear the crease. They would rather have fast skating, puck movers who leave Hank out to dry every night.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
You can be dumb as a box of rocks and still be a smart hockey player.

Day, unfortunately, just comes across as a guy with limited upside. He doesn't make very good reads defensively. He gets caught watching the play most of the time, and this is in juniors.

The one thing he does really well is skating the puck up the ice. He's a lot like Skjei in that regard. He can move the puck up the ice, but he's not a very good playmaker. If you took away everything else that makes Skjei a good, young D and just left him with his ability to skate the puck, is that player NHL level? Probably not.

Now, Day has been bounced around from coach to coach during his time in juniors, so I still have hope that it clicks for him. But, if I'm being honest, his ceiling is John Moore at this point. John Moore eventually figured out how to be a bottom pair staple in the NHL, but it took him over 5 years and 4 organizations to do so. The likelihood of Day panning out for us is very, very low, IMO.

But, we're in a completely different place now than when he was drafted, when it comes to LHD depth. And honestly, the expectations were never fair to him. He was our first pick in the 2016 draft, but it's not his fault we didn't have a 1st or 2nd rounder. He's about where you'd expect a 3rd rounder to be two years after the fact: good player in juniors with still a ton of questions about how his game will translate to the pros.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad