How good can Sean Day become?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kind of surprised the cut Zborovskiy. You heard all kind of things he lacked with skill but every time the guy played, the other team pretty much didn't score. There is something to be said for that. However, we all know the Rangers don't value stay at home defenseman who clear the crease. They would rather have fast skating, puck movers who leave Hank out to dry every night.

Zboro sucks. Not at all surprised he was cut,

He would have been a decent player in the dead puck era but he’s not built for todays game.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You can be dumb as a box of rocks and still be a smart hockey player.

hayes-kevin041115-getty-ftrjpg_1608gi6op39ub1tn3474lw4v75.jpg

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Does Day play physical?

He does not.

People love to reference his size as being an asset, but I'm not sold on it being as important as it would be for most guys. Even offensively, from everything I've seen, he outmaneuvers opposing skaters as opposed to using his positioning and size.

Size is an asset obviously, but it should be taken with a grain of salt for Day imo.

This won't be a popular comparison, but I see a bigger Gilmour. Maybe Day can translate offensively a little better, but if he can be as effective defensively then that would be a big win. People shit on Gilmour because he's "soft" in the d-zone and they will do the same to Day, but if he can turn the puck up ice the way Gilmour does, then he has a real chance of forging an NHL career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchnevich89

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
You can be dumb as a box of rocks and still be a smart hockey player.

Day, unfortunately, just comes across as a guy with limited upside. He doesn't make very good reads defensively. He gets caught watching the play most of the time, and this is in juniors.

The one thing he does really well is skating the puck up the ice. He's a lot like Skjei in that regard. He can move the puck up the ice, but he's not a very good playmaker. If you took away everything else that makes Skjei a good, young D and just left him with his ability to skate the puck, is that player NHL level? Probably not.

Now, Day has been bounced around from coach to coach during his time in juniors, so I still have hope that it clicks for him. But, if I'm being honest, his ceiling is John Moore at this point. John Moore eventually figured out how to be a bottom pair staple in the NHL, but it took him over 5 years and 4 organizations to do so. The likelihood of Day panning out for us is very, very low, IMO.

But, we're in a completely different place now than when he was drafted, when it comes to LHD depth. And honestly, the expectations were never fair to him. He was our first pick in the 2016 draft, but it's not his fault we didn't have a 1st or 2nd rounder. He's about where you'd expect a 3rd rounder to be two years after the fact: good player in juniors with still a ton of questions about how his game will translate to the pros.

I kinda get what ur saying, but ur missing the fact that Day is a lot bigger and a much better skater then Skjei. Skjei is a very good skater and he has good size, but Sean Day is an _ELITE_ skater with ridiculous size.

And don't get me wrong, i know Skjei is a much better player, but in those 2 parts of the game Day is just insane.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If there is a player in the NHL or associated with an NHL team that epitomizes the justifications of a switch of positions its Sean Day.

Get this kid off Defence and onto the wing like yesterday.

Skates well and has a good shot.

Limit his on ice responsibilities and you automatically have a better player.

Less to think about means he can play more instinctually which is what you want from your players.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
He does not.

People love to reference his size as being an asset, but I'm not sold on it being as important as it would be for most guys. Even offensively, from everything I've seen, he outmaneuvers opposing skaters as opposed to using his positioning and size.

Size is an asset obviously, but it should be taken with a grain of salt for Day imo.

This won't be a popular comparison, but I see a bigger Gilmour. Maybe Day can translate offensively a little better, but if he can be as effective defensively then that would be a big win. People **** on Gilmour because he's "soft" in the d-zone and they will do the same to Day, but if he can turn the puck up ice the way Gilmour does, then he has a real chance of forging an NHL career.

I see the general comparison but you’re over looking some differences. Gilmour is a great speed skater. Day is elite moving any direction, stoping, starting,etc.

They both are brain dead when it comes to making reads. This is what people complained about gilmour being bad in his own end was about, not his size.

Everyone will look at day and say he doesn’t hit so he’s big for no reason. Hitting is the smallest part of having size. The biggest thing will be his extended reach and ability to protect the puck(also done by keeping the puck away from the defenders)

Imo Day will be John Moore but has the potential to be a top 4 guy if he can develop a defensive brain.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Love Day

I think he will be an NHL player at a minimum. His skating and build alone point to that being the case

I think he could become a top pairing guy if he puts it all together

I think he settles as a middle pairing guy

Hi offensive ceiling is almost limitless, he's got ridiculous tools.
It's very unlikely he reaches that ceiling though, let's be honest about that.
But his skating and size alone should make him an NHLer, after that we'll see.

The John Moore comparison is pretty okey but Day has another level when it comes to skating, size and hands then Moore had.

I think he's our best D prospect actually and I think he has a ton of upside. He can become a stud. I like him a lot.

core basics of size and speed - big check
strength - not sure, and if there, needs to learn how to use it
offense - big check
defense - big question mark, but showing continued improvement

conclusion: he is very, very young. he is in an organization that prob has right experts to mentor/max his situation. He does have to learn D at NHL level, but he doesn't look entirely lost and unable to adjust, even if gradually.

He makes it as NHL D, backup is as a LW, with less def responsibility, but I think he makes it as a D.

Offensive upside is never close to Bobby Orr.
Best case scenario is MAYBE a very, very, very lite Wayne Coffey

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Elite Prospects - The curious case of Sean Day

“While pressure started to mount on him in the following seasons to live up to his exceptional status, tragedy struck the Day family. A member of the family was sent to prison after having being judged culpable in a car crash. While much has been written about the incident and the effect it must have had on a young man just learning the ropes in the unrelenting world of professional sports – Sean Day continued to fight for his hockey career.”

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
core basics of size and speed - big check
strength - not sure, and if there, needs to learn how to use it
offense - big check
defense - big question mark, but showing continued improvement

conclusion: he is very, very young. he is in an organization that prob has right experts to mentor/max his situation. He does have to learn D at NHL level, but he doesn't look entirely lost and unable to adjust, even if gradually.

He makes it as NHL D, backup is as a LW, with less def responsibility, but I think he makes it as a D.

Offensive upside is never close to Bobby Orr.
Best case scenario is MAYBE a very, very, very lite Wayne Coffey
I don't think you've watched him skate a single shift.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When he was drafted, there was this idea that he could become a monster if it clicked for him and he could put it all together.

Since then, he has gotten a bit better in his own end, his reads are a little better but still not great, he gambles less but still turns it over on his stupid end-to-end rush attempts. His overall offensive acumen has improved.

However, none of the aspects of his game that you really wanted to jump forward have done so. He's still a guy that's limited defensively, decent offensively and a really good skater. That upside that was once thought to exist, I don't think it's really there anymore.

He can still become a decent 4/5/6 defender if he continues his positive development, but anything beyond that is, IMO, out of the question at this point.

Reactions: Edge

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
When he was drafted, there was this idea that he could become a monster if it clicked for him and he could put it all together.

I like drafting players in later rounds that have that boom potential.

He's still just a 20 year old kid so there's still the possibility he expands his game.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like drafting players in later rounds that have that boom potential.

He's still just a 20 year old kid so there's still the possibility he expands his game.
Yes, for sure. But, I don't think he will. Generally by 20 you've at least shown flashes of what you can be. I don't know if Day has done that. I mean he shows flashes of brilliance with his end to end rushes, but he's been doing that forever and I don't know if he's any better at it now than he was in his draft year.

He could take a big step. I just don't see it. Doesn't make him worthless. But that "impact potential," I don't really think it still exists.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Day has continued to develop enough to be a possibility to play in the NHL, but at this point the "boom" potential really isn't there.

The hope would be that he can carve out a career as a third pairing, maybe second pairing defenseman.

Anything more than that, based on the areas of his game that are limited, is probably more of a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yes, for sure. But, I don't think he will. Generally by 20 you've at least shown flashes of what you can be. I don't know if Day has done that. I mean he shows flashes of brilliance with his end to end rushes, but he's been doing that forever and I don't know if he's any better at it now than he was in his draft year.

He could take a big step. I just don't see it. Doesn't make him worthless. But that "impact potential," I don't really think it still exists.

Total agreement here. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how fast or big you are, you still have to be able to play the game. From what I've seen he reads plays slowly and doesn't adapt quick enough. Defense is a very cerebral position and a players physical attributes don't mean squat if their positioning is off.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Zboro sucks. Not at all surprised he was cut,

He would have been a decent player in the dead puck era but he’s not built for todays game.

Don't really buy that. Pitt won two cups with some old cones on their defense who simply knew where to stand and not allow forwards in the crease. Orpik is not a new age defenseman at all and he was a solid part of the Craps defense last year. IMO, the past few years the Rangers have been willing to put out bumbling idiots on defense who skate fast and can pass. It hasn't worked. Perfect example last year is DeAngelo. He is a an awful defenseman with no clue how to stop anybody. Gilmour is basically the same thing. So was Sproul. Zborovskiy his entire junior career and also in the AHL when he got the chance isn't on the ice for many goals. Something the Rangers strangely don't care about. I would have held onto him at least a couple more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If there is a player in the NHL or associated with an NHL team that epitomizes the justifications of a switch of positions its Sean Day.

Get this kid off Defence and onto the wing like yesterday.

Skates well and has a good shot.

Limit his on ice responsibilities and you automatically have a better player.

Less to think about means he can play more instinctually which is what you want from your players.

I'd agree with this.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Since then, he has gotten a bit better in his own end, his reads are a little better but still not great, he gambles less but still turns it over on his stupid end-to-end rush attempts. His overall offensive acumen has improved.

However, none of the aspects of his game that you really wanted to jump forward have done so. He's still a guy that's limited defensively, decent offensively and a really good skater. That upside that was once thought to exist, I don't think it's really there anymore.

He can still become a decent 4/5/6 defender if he continues his positive development, but anything beyond that is, IMO, out of the question at this point.
What about a career as a linesman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad