How does Nolan still have a job?

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
I find it amusing that I think we're mostly all on board with tanking, and then there's all this complaining about how terrible the team is. Would you rather they be mediocre? Would you rather there be a doubt that we'll finish last? I feel like Murray should bust in here and go all Jack Nicholson on you guys...

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very tank that I provide, and then QUESTIONS the manner IN WHICH I PROVIDE IT! I would rather you just said, 'thank you,' and went on your way."

Seriously though, we have several players on the roster who are just placeholders for the time being. Most of the guys on the team won't be here in 3 years. I doubt Nolan will either. And like JJ and others have said many times, there are very few players here who are capable of driving possession. What exactly is Nolan supposed to tell these guys to make them better possession players? I'm really not sure what you want him to do.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I agree 100% with this post. I hope Nolan doesn't cause long-term damage. His entire coaching staff is a coach. Players are bad, not this bad.

Nolan's resume in Buffalo is overrated. He had Hasek. Enough said. He had one impressive year with Isles. He's a bloody fool. His post-game press conferences are funny.

Team should have Rolston, he's no worse than Nolan.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So what your saying is things like talent is irrelevant when it comes to things like, passing, shooting and transition. You expect AHL level players to execute plays at an NHL level...I guess its just as easy as typing it I guess.

Holy ****.

MattyB101

Mar 9, 2014
Rochester NY
I think the problem with the team is the schedule. They're shell-shocked and not playing with any confidence. Once the schedule eases up a bit, they'll start looking more competitive, regain some confidence and win with a bit more regularity. And then we'll all start fretting about the tank. I put the over/under on the first "panic about the tank" thread at Feb 1st.

Karate Johnson*

If you guys would smarten up and stop watching it would my bother you.

Nothing good is going to come from this year. Nobody is going to develop, we aren't going to win, and expecting either is foolish.

Ted is here because he was here, players liked him I guess, and it doesn't matter.

Just accept that this is a lost year. Don't waste your time. I know, you want to "watch development". It's not gonna happen.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think the problem with the team is the schedule. They're shell-shocked and not playing with any confidence. Once the schedule eases up a bit, they'll start looking more competitive, regain some confidence and win with a bit more regularity. And then we'll all start fretting about the tank. I put the over/under on the first "panic about the tank" thread at Feb 1st.

Good points

Karate Johnson*

Also, who else is going to take a job here? Nobody, that's who. At least nobody who would be any better.

It's a team that is intentionally bad.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If you guys would smarten up and stop watching it would my bother you.

Nothing good is going to come from this year. Nobody is going to develop, we aren't going to win, and expecting either is foolish.

Ted is here because he was here, players liked him I guess, and it doesn't matter.

Just accept that this is a lost year. Don't waste your time. I know, you want to "watch development". It's not gonna happen.

Development will and is happening. Let's not be ridiculous. Though that statement confirms you haven't been watching.

Karate Johnson*

Development will and is happening. Let's not be ridiculous. Though that statement confirms you haven't been watching.

I have watched a couple periods here and there. I have sat in silence with my TV off over watching them.

I wish I had remembers to cancel my recurring center ice.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I didn't like the hire when it was made. I don't like it as it currently stands. But I don't know if any coach would make this current situation work

Karate Johnson*

I didn't like the hire when it was made. I don't like it as it currently stands. But I don't know if any coach would make this current situation work

It's incredibly temporary.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I find the fan base and threads like this to be more unbearable than the coach/players/tank

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No matter how fun it may be to second guess, use hypotheticals, vent, and offer opinions that you think will make the team better. But it's so refreshing and low stress to just let go and accept. Suck and lose, rinse and repeat.

Until April.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Whatever gets the Sabres in last in best... but, I can't be the only one who's truly feels embarrassed every time Nolan talks. I guess I just want him to not appear so useless.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Whatever gets the Sabres in last in best... but, I can't be the only one who's truly feels embarrassed every time Nolan talks. I guess I just want him to not appear so useless.

Is he worse than Rolston melting down in some of his press conferences?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I cringe when he speaks.... the man is a pure bull ******* .... I trust politicians more than Ted.

I'm not sure why it seems to be unacceptable to want some competent coaching while our team sucks... As if it means people don't understand the situation (lack of talent) or the ultimate goal ( 30th)

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's early. He might get canned if they don't show improvement. They recently did decently on that 2-2-2 stretch, so we'll see where it goes over the next 20 games. If they're still an abomination at that point, you might see him let go. He has to have a longer leash than 15 games, though, considering the roster and his new 3 year extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad