How does Nolan still have a job?

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
I assume that TM knows what a good team looks like and knows what a good strategy looks like. Obviously our team has no structure right now and that is why we look so terrible. We are a bad team, but we can barely get into the offensive zone and clear the puck from our own. It looks like our players are just skating around with no guidance, hoping to find the net.

I know we want to be bad this year, but being this bad isn't good for anyone. Veterans aren't performing, young talent (like CoHo) are invisible, and prospects that should make even a little difference look like busts.

From this, I believe that Nolan is detrimental to our future. We do have good players (even if its hard to see right now), but nothing will change without a proper game plan. If I can see this, I can't imagine TM can't see it.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I assume that TM knows what a good team looks like and knows what a good strategy looks like. Obviously our team has no structure right now and that is why we look so terrible. We are a bad team, but we can barely get into the offensive zone and clear the puck from our own. It looks like our players are just skating around with no guidance, hoping to find the net.

I know we want to be bad this year, but being this bad isn't good for anyone. Veterans aren't performing, young talent (like CoHo) are invisible, and prospects that should make even a little difference look like busts.

From this, I believe that Nolan is detrimental to our future. We do have good players (even if its hard to see right now), but nothing will change without a proper game plan. If I can see this, I can't imagine TM can't see it.

I am not sure many coaches would have more win than he. Our team lacks talent. It takes years to get and develop talent. That is what we are doing, building through the draft. In 2-3 years if we are not significantly improving a coaching replacement would be warranted.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Why does it seem like the OPers keep venting about this team but know it is a terrible team, I have seen from waiving Hogdson to firing Nolan...sorry this team is terrible.

Fire the coach! It is a terrible team and the point is to tank. Fans need to relax and wait out the tank.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why does it seem like the OPers keep venting about this team but know it is a terrible team, I have seen from waiving Hogdson to firing Nolan...sorry this team is terrible.

Fire the coach! It is a terrible team and the point is to tank. Fans need to relax and wait out the tank.

Funny. I don't remember seeing the same defense used with Rolston.

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
I am not sure many coaches would have more win than he. Our team lacks talent. It takes years to get and develop talent. That is what we are doing, building through the draft. In 2-3 years if we are not significantly improving a coaching replacement would be warranted.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Our team does lack talent, but it isn't completely devoid of it. Players like Moulson, Gionta, CoHo, etc. all have more talent than their stats show. When I was watching the Sabres play the Penguins, I noticed small things about how they entered the zone and scored two (almost three) wide open goals from the slot. This is a planned play. When I try to see our players enter the zone, they carry the puck to center, pass to someone on the boards or dump, losing possesion most of the time.

That comes down to coaching, and I think this abscence of strategy is why we are so bad and why players like Myers, who have a ton of talent, play well when they first get here and then start to look bad. They have always had guidance and structure. Talent is useless if your coach just says, "Go out their and play" and tells them, "Its ok to make mistakes." The problem isn't the players (although this might not be completely true), its Nolan.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
He knows he will be gone either before or after next season, he is just here so we can fire somebody once the time comes and TM looks for a real coach.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Sorry, your memory is not so good. Not that it matters. Maybe generational talent has something to do with it or maybe the fact that that the whole management has been turned over since then but if you want to reminisce thats your choice.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sorry, your memory is not so good. Not that it matters. Maybe generational talent has something to do with it or maybe the fact that that the whole management has been turned over since then but if you want to reminisce thats your choice.

That was a whole lot of nothing.

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL

I'm not venting. I know we are terrible and that we are tanking. The talent on the team is terrible, but not this terrible. I would be afraid to play an AHL team with what we put on the ice. Our players should have structure that they should be in each game, where they just get out classed by better talent.

He knows he will be gone either before or after next season, he is just here so we can fire somebody once the time comes and TM looks for a real coach.

I agree, but Nolan is hurting the develpment of our young players now, and even if we tank, McDavid will have no one good to play with.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I agree with you to a certain extent. Our team does lack talent, but it isn't completely devoid of it. Players like Moulson, Gionta, CoHo, etc. all have more talent than their stats show. When I was watching the Sabres play the Penguins, I noticed small things about how they entered the zone and scored two (almost three) wide open goals from the slot. This is a planned play. When I try to see our players enter the zone, they carry the puck to center, pass to someone on the boards or dump, losing possesion most of the time.

That comes down to coaching, and I think this abscence of strategy is why we are so bad and why players like Myers, who have a ton of talent, play well when they first get here and then start to look bad. They have always had guidance and structure. Talent is useless if your coach just says, "Go out their and play" and tells them, "Its ok to make mistakes." The problem isn't the players (although this might not be completely true), its Nolan.
The problem is the talent. Our first line players are really second line players. That leaves the opposing teams shut down line facing second line talent on top of that the other team's first line is facing some of the worst defensive forwards in the league. Guys like Moulson, Ennis, Gionta and Hodgson are 2nd and 3rd line players playing first line minutes. This team is just flat out terrible.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
He might get canned if we play like this all season. I wish Murray hired his own guy and 1 year from now we can turn a corner. With Nolan here I dont see that happening

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
The problem is the talent. Our first line players are really second line players. That leaves the opposing teams shut down line facing second line talent on top of that the other team's first line is facing some of the worst defensive forwards in the league. Guys like Moulson, Ennis, Gionta and Hodgson are 2nd and 3rd line players playing first line minutes. This team is just flat out terrible.

This is why I agree that we would still be terrible with a different coach. We don't have enough talent to be good. But CoHo, who lead the team in points last year, only has two and looks lost. They don't have a plan, and that is how players will develop and get better.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

It's a possession league and that's usually driven by a teams' centers and dmen. We have one center capable of driving possession Girgensons and maybe 3 dmen that can as well. When that changes we will be much better regardless of who the coach is.

The team as constructed by Murray is designed to struggle like they are. They have structure and coaching. It's been pointed out by me and more importantly by the players. How much better coached they are and that they have better structure.

But until they add more possession players in the positions of importance, they will continue to struggle.

I mean if you can see how effective Girgs and Risto have been at driving possession. That should help explain things. It's not like they are getting secret coaching in how to possess the puck and others are not. Once more players like that are added things will get better.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Such a lame excuse. Nobody is denying the team is terrible ... It doesn't mean you can just sit back and watch this coaching staff who was obviously found on The Land Of Misfit Coaches. This team is failing to do the basics... they don't have a clue of what to do when they enter the zone.

Personally I don't care if Nolan stays because the results dont matter but it doesn't mean they shouldnt be called out for what they are and be defended by "Oh I dont care what coach is behind the bench we're still terrible".

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Such a lame excuse. Nobody is denying the team is terrible ... It doesn't mean you can just sit back and watch this coaching staff who was obviously found on The Land Of Misfit Coaches. This team is failing to do the basics... they don't have a clue of what to do when they enter the zone.

Personally I don't care if Nolan stays because the results dont matter but it doesn't mean they shouldnt be called out for what they are and be defended by "Oh I dont care what coach is behind the bench we're still terrible".

This is it exactly, we are going to be terrible regardless, but our players don't have a clue of what to do. The only reason I care that Nolan is still the coach is because I don't want him to ruin our young guys.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I think more posters are resigned to what we are at this point. Whereas at the start of last year many were refusing to accept it. That was actually unfair to Rolston.

Another issue that was unfair to Rolston was he had little control over the roster out of camp. It was Darcy pushing all of the kids onto he roster. I freely admit I was unfairly hammering Rolston over that. In restrospect he never had a chance with the situation he was thrust into.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think more posters are resigned to what we are at this point. Whereas at the start of last year many were refusing to accept it. That was actually unfair to Rolston.

Another issue that was unfair to Rolston was he had little control over the roster out of camp. It was Darcy pushing all of the kids onto he roster. I freely admit I was unfairly hammering Rolston over that. In restrospect he never had a chance with the situation he was thrust into.

Good points.

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Most of this stems from TM saying he doesn't want a 5 year rebuild. With the way Nolan is coaching, I just can't see us turning things around anytime soon.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
You understand that this "don't want to take 5 years" is Murray saying, 'my clock starts this year', so we are at the start of at least 2-3 years of Murray righting the ship. Which of course will be close to 5 years overall, but not during Murray being on the job.

Rolston was terrible and the team didn't look like they had any clue out on the ice, culminating with that great screen cap of the SJ game which looks like a photoshop of 3 players all following the same person.

The team is currently terrible, but they are playing a basic structure, which is fine, they just can't execute because terrible.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Most of this stems from TM saying he doesn't want a 5 year rebuild. With the way Nolan is coaching, I just can't see us turning things around anytime soon.

I think you're missing the fact that the team sucks because Murray designed it to be this way. And how Murray manipulates the roster going forward will determine how long until we come out of this.

Nolan will matter more for team's play (for good or bad) when the talent gap between us and the rest of league closes.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

So what your saying is things like talent is irrelevant when it comes to things like, passing, shooting and transition. You expect AHL level players to execute plays at an NHL level...I guess its just as easy as typing it I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad