Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Mcbackup should be the choice. Andersen still have solid 5-6 years on him and McBackup can still feed Freddy some feedback what a rookie goalie can't do. Dynamic of goalies are still important and Sparks doesn't have talent to be a starter.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Mcbackup is likely cheaper and Sparx might be worth a pick. Mcbackup did nothing to lose his job. The only way I would pick Sparx is if someone offered more for Mcbackup in a trade.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
People act like Mac wasn't the best (or one of) backup in the NHL last year.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
McElhinney deserves the chance to backup. But "deserves" got nothing to do with it.

It just doesn't make long-term sense to sacrifice Sparks to waivers when he now looks poised to be a competent NHL backup and maybe more. Even if Mac can duplicate his season of a year ago, his days are numbered based on his age.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think the backup role is Sparks to lose, despite how good McElhinney has been for this team.

Surely they look at last season, and the amount of work Anderson had on his shoulders, and realize they need to take care of him better.

I think Sparks has the potential to start more games this coming season, than McElhinney, which will likely be the deciding factor, as long as he has camp.

They need a goaltender who can start 20-25 games next season, and I just don't think they believe CMac can do that.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We don't really have a situation. Whoever plays better should be back up. Having the other as depth in case of an injury is important.

Heybuddyhowyadoing step away from the sauce for a bit.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
We don't really have a situation. Whoever plays better should be back up. Having the other as depth in case of an injury is important.

Heybuddyhowyadoing step away from the sauce for a bit.
We really do have a situation... sparks will be claimed on waivers.

Reactions: Menzinger

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
And compared to his entire career that level of play was an anomaly.

So that means you should disregard how stellar he was for us last year? He was perfect in his role.

I'd keep him for the contract, trade one of Pickard/sparks and let the other start in the marlies if possible. If waivers is an issue for the aforementioned look to trade Mac. But I trust him Mac over the other guys.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
35 y/o mcelhinney, who has no chance of being here long term, isnt gonna be the reason a 25 y/o ahl goalie of the year, who could potentially be a long term piece for the team, gets traded.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know Sparks won the AHL goalie if the year. What I didn’t know was his stats. I saw it when they flashed it in the Sens game and having a 1.94 GAA is amazing.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Still think they should keep 3 goalies this year. At least to start.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Nylander (I hope)
Leivo Kadri Brown
Johnsson Lindholm Kappy
Ennis

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Oz
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks
McBackup

McBackup's good insurance if Sparks stumbles and had a good record coming in after long layoffs and playing well for us last year.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The last couple of cup winners had a goalie controversy.

I think Sparks is most likely to be a NHL starter at some point and can play some more games.

Reactions: Pi

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Liked Picard before, but think it's now Sparks job to take and run with.

McBackup is 2.86/.909 for his career.

Last year was an aberration (2.15/.934); he won't repeat it this year; send him somewhere where they think he can, and if you can't (because other teams know the same), waive him.

Reactions: Menzinger

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We really do have a situation... sparks will be claimed on waivers.
sparks more likely than not will not be claimed off waivers. the most likely option is that he clears waivers. goalies usually aren't claimed off waivers because teams already have their tandem in net before they hit waivers.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I like McElhinney just because he's shown that he can keep his skills sharp and win games even when he sits for longs stretches. I have no idea if Sparks can do that.

Sparks played great in the AHL but he was staying sharp by playing often enough. Can he stay as sharp sitting most of the time? That's pretty much my only concern.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like McElhinney just because he's shown that he can keep his skills sharp and win games even when he sits for longs stretches. I have no idea if Sparks can do that.

Sparks played great in the AHL but he was staying sharp by playing often enough. Can he stay as sharp sitting most of the time? That's pretty much my only concern.

He's shown to be dominant no matter how much time he's played. Main difference between this year and the previous years was experience and skill development obviously (he was a lot more calm in net) and that he had a better defense. I guess playing more helps you remain calm, but I do not think that's going to be an issue as long as you play him semi-regularly.

I think there is also a point to be made that the backup should not be sitting for long stretches as McElhinney did. We want the backup to take some more workload off of Andersen's shoulders than the 16 games McElhinney did last year. So maybe it will not even be a concern because Sparks will end up playing 25 games over the course of the year.

Personally, I think at least one of McElhinney or Pickard goes to Calgary for Rittich (most likely) and a 5th (or maybe a 4th if it's McElhinney). Both would be sizable upgrades on their current backup for a low cost and buys another year before Gillies should be ready to take over.

The other could go to a team like Washington. I still do not think Copley is really going to cut it. But most likely these teams are going to stick with their crappy backups until they really prove to be crappy, which sucks for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad