Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I would say the goalie who posted a 934 sv% last year at the NHL level is the one who actually deserves to start the season as the backup
This...assett management is important,but so is Loyalty.He did very well last year!It Is Macs to lose!
Also, Sparks needs to be a starter,not a career back-up,so he needs to steal the job from Freddy. Won't be easy because Freddy is gonna rack up the wins,even if he falters,this team gonna score enough to save him.I am not familiar with Picards history,so not sure of what he can offer!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
One important thing to consider: Kasimir Kaskisuo is capable of being the number 1 on the Marlies next year.

So we would only need to keep one of them assuming McAdam or some Free Agent goalie could be a backup to him next year.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I would have the 3 compete for the backup spot and then send the other two down together. I doubt either would get claimed, and they are worth more trade-wise after passing through waivers.

My guess is if you are expecting McElhinney to duplicate his season last year you are going to be really disappointed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Other?

Trade the one that has the most pick value, then run with Pickard or Sparks as the backup(because I'd rather have a young backup with long term backup potential instead of 1 year of the old guy and continue to gamble he's got 1 more year left in him). Presumably that would be a McBackup trade and then a mini competition in camp with likely Sparks winning it, but that's not set enough in stone for either of these options.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Other:
  • I dont think Andersen is a good playoff goalie, I wouldn't mind signing a high end back up.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I think McElhinney could slip through waivers. He'd be a great #3 and could be summoned if Sparks/Pickard falter in the backup role.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not voting because I have no idea.

I'd be shopping Sparks. If the can return something decent, I'd make the move. If not, I'd prefer him as the back up at the NHL level. I'd take a low pick for either of Pick or McBackup

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Important thing about McElhinney is that our decision on him should be based on what we think he can give us going forward, not what he did this last season. Those are not necessarily the same thing. I've defended him before as I thought he got a bad reputation due to being on defensively inept teams, but all things point towards last season being an outlier.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect Sparks to give us a better chance next season and be more valuable for us going forward.

Reactions: Stand Witness

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
McElhinney's job until he shows he can't handle it, then I imagine Sparks is next in line.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sparks won the Allege Bastion. (AHL Vezina), The Calder Cup and the Harry Holmes (AHL Jennings) with Picard, so ya, he had a pretty good season to put it mildly. He deserves a chance to play in the NHL. You need a strong backup and as others have said, he should play 25 games so Freddy is fresh for the stretch run and playoffs.

Not looking to cause a controversy, but you also want Freddy to be aware that someone is looking to take his job away. In 3 years when we have to make a decision on Freddy, maybe Sparks will have shown he's ready to be a number one in the NHL. Can't do that unless you try him out a bit. Freddy will have injuries and with a capable younger backup in Sparks you can let him run with it until Freddy is completely healed.

ALDEGE BAZ BASTIEN MEMORIAL AWARD – AHL Hall of Fame

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I would put all 3 names out there. Take whatever the 2 best returns are. Use the third as the backup.

Sparks' value is at an all time high right now and could get a decent return. I'm not high on Sparks myself as he reminds me way too much of Reimer and I was never a fan of his.

McElhinney should have decent value as well. He did an excellent job last year and I wouldn't be against keeping him 1 more year.

Pickard may have the least value and may be the easiest to pass through waivers but personally I like him the best.

Worst case, nobody wants any of them in a trade and we have to waive 2 and possibly lose 1 of them.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Other: See how they play in training camp.

When certain players have made their mark, seek trades prior to placing on waivers. If no trades are available, waive the least value ones.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Unless Dubas makes a move, Babcock is still the coach and tie goes to the vet.
Andersen
McBackup

Reactions: iSophagus

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
McElhinney played in 18 and had a .934 sv %.

Maybe inform yourself before making stupid comments.
McElhinney's numbers in seasons where he played more than 20 games:

2010-11 (Ducks): .890 sv%
2013-14 (CBJ): .909 sv%
2014-15 (CBJ): .914 sv%

We should not be happy with these numbers and should expect way more from our backup this year if he's easing the load on Freddy. Maybe inform yourself before making stupid comments.

Reactions: Stand Witness

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think McElhinney will be the backup to start the season. If Andersen gets off to a slow October like in previous years, I think Babcock will want that veteran calming presence with McElhinney. If by Christmas McElhinney isn't playing well as a backup, then maybe we see Sparks come up to the big club as the backup.

I totally agree.

Babcock is the one making the calls here, and he's a bit picky when it comes to goalies. He has said repeatedly he likes one guy to be the starter and workhorse, and then a guy who knows his role. Babcock likes a backup who is working hard even when he's not starting, and he's praised McElhinney for that in the past. I know that Babcock has even had the backup tracking the teams face-off wins during games from his spot on the bench. He said it keeps them focused, or some such. He's funny like that, he wants a certain kind of guy working a certain kind of way.

I'm not saying Sparks or Pickard don't work hard. And I'm not saying a trade wouldn't be made if someone made a reasonable offer. But the backup isn't just the next most talented goalie. It's the guy who can stay focused even when he's not seeing game action. It's the guy who works well with the starter. And the guy who doesn't think a good performance or two will earn him more starts.

Andersen and McElhinney. And I think Babcock would be willing to lose one of the other 2 to waivers to keep it that way.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's hard to comment without knowing how the org sees the younger guys (Sparks and to a lesser extent Pickard). If you think they are career minor leaguers, then you likely just stick with McBackup. If you think either guy has a future, then you should have that person as the backup and let McBackup go through waivers.

From a value perspective, I would guess Sparks is more likely to one day be thought of as a potential starter and garner a 2nd or higher in trade. But likely neither guy will ever be seen like that. So at that point it becomes the asset isn't all that valuable.

Were a win now team, so you just keep the guy who you think will be the best backup for Andy

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We can afford a couple October/November losses figuring it out. I hope McBackup can string together another year like he did, but I'm never really confident watching him play. He swims and gets lucky a little too much for my liking, although he certainly has streaks where he looks in control. He should be the backup on opening night, but we shouldn't hesitate to give Sparks a shot if he struggles. Personally I think last season is going to be his career season when all is said and done, I'm just not sure how far the drop from that peak is going to be.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd start with three goalies on the roster... give Sparks a few games, and see how he plays. If he sinks... send him to the AHL. If he doesn't play well enough to stick with us, chances are nobody will pick him up on waivers anyway. If he plays well, then we move McBackup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad