Speculation: How do you handle Toronto's goalie situation?

Which tendem would you like to see next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Is it possible to get Pekka Rinne? Do posters here consider him an upgrade from Andersen? Personally, I would. Rinne is a free agent next summer.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Again, I'd recommend having McElhinney and Sparks on the 23 man roster. That way the team could ease Sparks into the backup role (say give him and McBackup 2 starts a month until it looks like Sparks is capable of taking over) and give Freddy some more rest over the course of the season.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is it possible to get Pekka Rinne? Do posters here consider him an upgrade from Andersen? Personally, I would. Rinne is a free agent next summer.
Rinne is right now an upgrade but he will be turning 37 as an FA, and will want more money than Andy, and almost certainly on a contract that takes him into his decline. He wouldn't be a guy you target if you have any other options. Whoever signs him needs to have a great, cheap young goalie waiting in the wings to balance out the $7M backup they will have in a couple of years. Over 35 deals are dogs.

Reactions: The Cobra

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's not ideal but you have to have 3 goalies on this roster you CANNOT have Andersen as your starter, Sparks or Mac as the Backup and then NOTHING on the farm because if something happens to Andersen you are screwed.

If you waive or trade both Mac and Pickard you better have a Vet goalies on the farm because if not are ONE injury away from being f***ed

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
waive pickard/mac. people think Pickard could get claimed, and he might, but he also went through for Vegas and thats how Leafs got him on a AHL deal. If nothing, whatever. was worth a shot and was a former name but hes #3-4 on the depth chart.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
McElhinney was fantastic last year and Andersen is still young so it's not like they need to groom his replacement right now. As much as I think Sparks deserves his chance, I can't help but think he could be part of a package to bring in a top 4 dman.

It's complicated only becaus goalies are so undervalued on the trade market. If this was a winger as the odd man out, it would be a no-brainer to trade them or let them continue to cook in the minors.

Reactions: The Cobra

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sparks will have his opportunity to show that he can be the backup.

Pickard will pass through waivers, and play on the Marlies.

McBackup will be kept, until such time as we know what we have with Sparks. If Sparks is up to the task, McBackup is likely waived, and either passes through waivers, or doesn't.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I am not certain anyone who's not behind closed doors knows, but it was my belief one of the items mentioned in Babcock's contract was he was to have final say on the roster. And I think ultimately, this lead to a difference of opinions on the direction of the club between Babcock and Lamoriello. I have to believe there's no way Lou would of allowed Matt Martin to be a scratch if he had his way. Martin not playing was all on Babcock in my opinion. At the end of the day, I think it came down to Babcock wanting a club that emulated the Russian Five and Lou Lamoriello wanting to emulate the Dead Puck era. And I think the day you saw Kadri put on a line with Marleau and Marner, you saw the winner of that internal conflict of what style the Leafs should play. Lou ended up kicking stones and headed to New York. I mention all of this because in my understanding, it is Babcock with final roster decisions. If Babcock wants Sparks, Babcock is going to get Sparks.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am not certain anyone who's not behind closed doors knows, but it was my belief one of the items mentioned in Babcock's contract was he was to have final say on the roster. And I think ultimately, this lead to a difference of opinions on the direction of the club between Babcock and Lamoriello. I have to believe there's no way Lou would of allowed Matt Martin to be a scratch if he had his way. Martin not playing was all on Babcock in my opinion. At the end of the day, I think it came down to Babcock wanting a club that emulated the Russian Five and Lou Lamoriello wanting to emulate the Dead Puck era. And I think the day you saw Kadri put on a line with Marleau and Marner, you saw the winner of that internal conflict of what style the Leafs should play. Lou ended up kicking stones and headed to New York. I mention all of this because in my understanding, it is Babcock with final roster decisions. If Babcock wants Sparks, Babcock is going to get Sparks.

If that's the case Babcock does seem to prefer veteran talent when all things are equal.

If that trend continues it's Mac

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Anderson and Sparks. Time to give Sparks a shot after the Calder run, he won't clear waivers. McElhinney is a great backup, but if the Leafs are true to their promoting from the farm, then it has to also include the goaltenders as well. I believe Sparks is ready for the next step and will see limited action behind Anderson

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It is about asset management. As a fan I would prefer McBackup behind Andersen for this season. When you risk losing Sparks if he doesn't stay up with the big club i change my preference to Sparks.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

varano

Jun 27, 2013
They need to showcase Sparks as much as possible and figure out what they have in him. That way they can flip him, or decide if hes good enough to roll a tandem

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Toronto Maple Leafs currently hold six goaltenders under contract heading into the 2018-19 season. Now, obviously not all six expect to play in the NHL next season, and most teams have more than just the two you see on the nightly roster. An average team has at least two more goaltenders under contract in order to cover themselves in the case of injury or substandard performance. Typically, both goalies on the team’s AHL affiliate are signed with the NHL team, and sometimes you’ll see another guy or two after that.

Toronto’s six might appear to be a standard number, but the guys making up that total create more of a head-scratching situation.

In the Crease: Exploring Toronto Maple Leafs Glut in Net

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
there's always vet goalies like McElhinney available on waivers (or dirt cheap) for smart GMs to pick up.

but there aren't many 24yr old goalies with a career .927sv% in the ahl, who just won ahl goalie of the year and the calder cup.

This is actually a very, very easy decision.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Definitely Andersen and Sparks.

Sparks deserves the shot after last season. Who knows could develop further and allow us to make Andersen expendable opening up cap space!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
there's always vet goalies like McElhinney available on waivers (or dirt cheap) for smart GMs to pick up.

but there aren't many 24yr old goalies with a career .927sv% in the ahl, who just won ahl goalie of the year and the calder cup.

This is actually a very, very easy decision.

On a stacked AHL team with a stacked defence... you really need to learn context when you post stats, etc, you constantly put out advanced stats but do not understand the context behind the stats.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
On a stacked AHL team with a stacked defence... you really need to learn context when you post stats, etc, you constantly put out advanced stats but do not understand the context behind the stats.

Context:

1.The Marlies have not been stacked in every year of Sparks' career
2.Calvin Pickard posted a .918sv% behind that stacked team

Make sure you understand context first.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

And he still played amazing. And it wasnt just this season he’s performed well.

I don’t think It should be controversial to suggest Sparks is already a better goalie than McBackup

Reactions: stickty111

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Sparks is ready. He's earned the backup roll. McBackup is awesome, his numbers last year are holy shit good.

You have to pick between an old guy and a young guy.

I pick the young guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad