Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
upload_2021-2-15_0-56-7.png

Oh Panthers PR

They got this right. My hearts stops everytime opponents take a shot at Bob

wampa13jku

Jun 29, 2019
Davie, FL
Its well known that Columbus was throwing like 8 or 9 M at him on a long term deal. Remember also, before we signed him there were rumors that the Isles were also gonna make an offer to him on July 1.

I remember CBJ trying to keep him but the Isles thing not sure if it was ever real, who knows if that was all smoke. I cant stop thinking Tallon was bidding with himself all along.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Agree and this is what I was hoping for but Bob was always in Panthers rumors waaaay before we signed him.

I've always wondered, who the f@ck wanted to sign him besides us? Its never been clear that there was a bidding war with other teams for him or anything, in typical Panthers fashion they straight up threw the bank at him and lost.
When you get caught bidding against yourself, it's when you're going to overpay... in any situation.

Dale was bidding against himself and threw the chequebook at Bob. Should have been fired before making the signing,

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I remember CBJ trying to keep him but the Isles thing not sure if it was ever real, who knows if that was all smoke. I cant stop thinking Tallon was bidding with himself all along.

You never know if it's all smoke, although that doesn't really make sense in this case as the Isles are not really a rival of ours or anything. But I agree with you in a sense...in free agency, the most desperate team usually ends up winning...and overpaying.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
When you get caught bidding against yourself, it's when you're going to overpay... in any situation.

Dale was bidding against himself and threw the chequebook at Bob. Should have been fired before making the signing,
That is the easy explanation but I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t a whole panel of people who nodded their heads and who didn’t do their due diligence. I don’t see Dale having that much power over everyone that they’d just take his word for it.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That is the easy explanation but I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t a whole panel of people who nodded their heads and who didn’t do their due diligence. I don’t see Dale having that much power over everyone that they’d just take his word for it.

Yup Q was very excited too. You could see that at the presser when they met him.

Reactions: harv33173

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Dumb question, but hypothetically speaking, couldn’t they mutually agree to terminate his contract and then under the table just pay him all the remaining dollars that he’s worth? I know that wouldn’t be allowed obviously, but technically speaking how could the nhl ever know or prove it?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Dumb question, but hypothetically speaking, couldn’t they mutually agree to terminate his contract and then under the table just pay him all the remaining dollars that he’s worth? I know that wouldn’t be allowed obviously, but technically speaking how could the nhl ever know or prove it?

The nhl would never believe he voluntarily gave up 50 million dollars lol.

Reactions: RogerRoger

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The nhl would never believe he voluntarily gave up 50 million dollars lol.
Yeah and I suppose that would be the most telling thing, but I was just thinking hypothetically if there’s no proof then how could they penalize the team. It’s a dumb question anyways lol

Reactions: Dread Clawz

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Our only hope is LTIR. Nobody is going to trade for the worst starting goaltender in the entire league on the worst contract in the league. The franchise is f***ed, at least for a few years, until it's more feasible to buy this bozo out.

Nobody will trade for him, that's for sure. The only way is to take another bad deal back but the problem is there isn't a team out there with an equally bad contract lol. You would probably have to take two bad deals back to make the cap work. I was looking at something like Vlasic + Jones @50% for Bob. That would be 10 million cap in & out for both teams although Jones' contract has only three years left.

There really is no way to get out of Bob's deal smelling like roses. It's going to be a scenery change type of deal where you hope guys will bounce back.

Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So the consensus looks like Bob is done.

I can’t totally disagree, however given that we’re stuck with him, putting on my optimist hat, I look at the last two games and say the first Tampa one was quite good, and the second Tampa one he truthfully was left to dry. I can only speak to goals 1-4 though, as I saw the rest of the team unravel.

Should Bob make a save on that breakaway? One could argue that - but why did Wennberg take that stupid ass shot? Should Bob have stopped the one with 15 sec to go in the second? Yeah maybe - but what the hell was Weegs and the rest of the team doing, trying their hardest to be as inept as possible?

I’m not arguing that Bob is worth $10M a year. I’m arguing that he’s worth $2.5M and could be more if the team didn’t have such crap games in front of him.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

I can’t totally disagree, however given that we’re stuck with him, putting on my optimist hat, I look at the last two games and say the first Tampa one was quite good, and the second Tampa one he truthfully was left to dry. I can only speak to goals 1-4 though, as I saw the rest of the team unravel.

Should Bob make a save on that breakaway? One could argue that - but why did Wennberg take that stupid ass shot? Should Bob have stopped the one with 15 sec to go in the second? Yeah maybe - but what the hell was Weegs and the rest of the team doing, trying their hardest to be as inept as possible?

I’m not arguing that Bob is worth $10M a year. I’m arguing that he’s worth $2.5M and could be more if the team didn’t have such crap games in front of him.
The frustrating part is that he is using poor technique a bit too often. He allowed Kane and Point to score in the top corner because he went too low and didn't stuff his shoulder/head into that corner, and he allowed a couple of breakaway goals by not using his stick to protect the five-hole. At his level, the basic techniques should be automatic. Hopefully it isn't too late to figure out ways to fix or compensate whatever is missing in his game.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Playing devil's advocate here: Bob missed all of training camp with covid and definitely would have had to catch up on his timing and get back into game shape. I'm still holding out hope we haven't seen his best yet. I think it's fair to say we're seeing him at some of his worst. If this is truly the best it's going to be from him, and there's no more room for improvement then we are very screwed with his contract. But I'm still holding out some hope that he'll eventually put it back together, of course not at the vezina 10m dollar level, but somewhere solid enough to keep us in and win games. We've seen him at least play average in his last few games (the most recent game notwithstanding) and I think he will build on that.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Playing devil's advocate here: Bob missed all of training camp with covid and definitely would have had to catch up on his timing and get back into game shape. I'm still holding out hope we haven't seen his best yet.

Hang on, so maybe he could retire from the ill-effects of covid??

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany

Why not having him and retire and at the same time offer him another job in the organization, no need to do it under the table then? Wouldn't that be a rather obvious idea to save cap space anyways. You sign a player and he immediately gets a deal that kicks in after the end of his playing career. Make him a club representative that has to give 2 interviews a year pay him a few million for that.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany

Thing is tho that you can find a lot of such excuses for a lot of goals subpar NHL goales let in.

Reactions: Dr Beinfest

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Could the Panthers actually give their $10M goalie a 30% share of the crease if Driedger keeps playing this well?

It's a PR nightmare, but it seems like Driedger has been the more reliable of the two.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Could the Panthers actually give their $10M goalie a 30% share of the crease if Driedger keeps playing this well?

It's a PR nightmare, but it seems like Driedger has been the more reliable of the two.
Honestly many fans are upset that Q is giving it an almost 50/50 split, whilst riding the hot hand.

Our team defense is day and night improved over last season which is helping Bob but he still has much room to improve. I am hopeful that a strong goalie competition will bring out the best in both players.

Hopefully we can get Bob at least back to a spot where we could retain half his salary and move him for a bad contract instead of high draft picks. The franchise has no choice but to play him in the hopes of getting any value on his contract.

Judge has been the better of the two recently.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Judge has been better than Bob for over a year. Q's handling of the goalie ice time has been pathetic.

Nobody will trade for him, that's for sure. The only way is to take another bad deal back but the problem is there isn't a team out there with an equally bad contract lol. You would probably have to take two bad deals back to make the cap work. I was looking at something like Vlasic + Jones @50% for Bob. That would be 10 million cap in & out for both teams although Jones' contract has only three years left.

There really is no way to get out of Bob's deal smelling like roses. It's going to be a scenery change type of deal where you hope guys will bounce back.
I wonder if SJ would entertain the idea of Karlsson for Bob. I haven't seen Karlsson play in a while, but I've heard he has been dreadful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad