How do we get rid of Bobrovsky?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What are our options to get rid of Sergei Bobrovsky this offseason? Is a buyout feasible? Can we somehow manage a mutual contract termination with him? Is he even NHL caliber anymore?

Serious question. A goaltender making $10 million per year who doesn't even look like he belongs in the NHL is a disaster for this franchise. Bill Zito is going to have to pull out the same magic wand he used to get rid of Matheson somehow to fix Dale Tallon's mess.

So, what can we do about this?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
What are our options to get rid of Sergei Bobrovsky this offseason? Is a buyout feasible? Can we somehow manage a mutual contract termination with him? Is he even NHL caliber anymore?

Serious question. A goaltender making $10 million per year who doesn't even look like he belongs in the NHL is a disaster for this franchise. Bill Zito is going to have to pull out the same magic wand he used to get rid of Matheson somehow to fix Dale Tallon's mess.

Most realistically, ask him to waive his NMC (he seems like the type that would do it if the team didn't want him) and bribe Seattle to take him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

No, a buyout isn't an option this year.
He'd be owed $37.5 million for the rest of the deal, we only save $9 million real dollars and it stays on the books for 10 years

buyout-bob.PNG

You wait until off-season, you retain $3-3.5 million and pay SEA a couple 1sts (2022 and 2023) + some mid tier prospects but Bob would also have to waive his NMC.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
No, a buyout isn't an option this year.
He'd be owed $37.5 million for the rest of the deal, we only save $9 million real dollars and it stays on the books for 10 years

View attachment 393147

You wait until off-season, you retain $3-3.5 million and pay SEA a couple 1sts (2022 and 2023) + some mid tier prospects but Bob would also have to waive his NMC.

So in summary: We're f***ed.

Great.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So in summary: We're f***ed.

Great.

For the next year or two at least, yes.
He's owed $46.5 million after this year so if you retain around 3 or 3.5 million in cap, which is $15-17.5 million in cash, he's still owed around $30 mil in cash so.....

Does SEA want that right off the bat?
It'd likely be 2 or 3 1st round picks even with the retention and him wanting to leave FLA and its tax benefits for SEA

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
For the next year or two at least, yes.
He's owed $46.5 million after this year so if you retain around 3 or 3.5 million in cap, which is $15-17.5 million in cash, he's still owed around $30 mil in cash so.....

Does SEA want that right off the bat?
It'd likely be 2 or 3 1st round picks even with the retention and him wanting to leave FLA and its tax benefits for SEA

Even if they retain 3mil then the underlying issue still remains which is why some other team would want sub .900save% $7mil goalie when you can pick one up from the FA market for a two-way 800k contract?

The odds of Bob leaving this org one way or another before his contract is up is like 0.28%.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Why you heff to be mad.

V2.0

I feel for Florida, hope he wakes the f up. He was a very hard working player in Columbus with perfect work ethics.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It's a freaking albatross. Thanks for nothing, Dale.

Yup. Dale probably thought that more money he dishes out to Bob's way the better he'll play. Bob wasn't never going to live up to that contract, especially with this defense group.

There are other goat lenders having tough time, like Carey Price (.899%/2.81GA; 4-1-2), so Bob's not the only one in this regard.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Even if they retain 3mil then the underlying issue still remains which is why some other team would want sub .900save% $7mil goalie when you can pick one up from the FA market for a two-way 800k contract?

The odds of Bob leaving this org one way or another before his contract is up is like 0.28%.

No doubt, hoping some would figure it out with some added context.

I think its movable in those final two years or they just strongly urge/pursuade him onto LTIR somehow, 70 million dollar rash is nasty I've heard.

CursedCats

Mar 10, 2020
Dale Tallon left Chicago with the Cristobal Huet contract and he left us with the Bobrovsky contract.

Now that we seemingly have a solid GM in Zito, it really shows how awful Tallon was, especially with free agent signings.

Reactions: Anakinsky

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

I think its movable in those final two years or they just strongly urge/pursuade him onto LTIR somehow, 70 million dollar rash is nasty I've heard.

Well, he's 37-38yo on those two finals years so maybe at that time he could be back in Russia, playing some beer league over there maybe?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The most annoying thing is that he has the NMC the last two seasons: my suggestion is this:
  • 21-22: CD starter Bob backup (12.5M)
  • 22-23: Knight starter, Bob backup (11M)
  • 23-24: Knight, Bob (11M)
  • 24-25/25-26: Knight. Bob (15M?)
    • This is the season in which I wish we could send him to the minors and play Levi as the backup. We could save a half million that way
    • The other option: package Bob at 5M with a first so we can keep Knight and Levi at 11M?

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah, its really not that terrible as many make out. We ride with Bob for 3.5 more years, buy out his last 2 years. Knight will be in the ahl for most of that time probably, except for maybe the last year. So he splits the nets with Bob for 1-2 years, and Bob wont really block him if he' s truly ready to take over and become a top goalie. Gives Knight the right time/competition he needs before he hopefully becomes elite.

Reactions: Pigge and harv33173

CursedCats

Mar 10, 2020
We’re probably going to lose Driedger because of Bob. Not to mention other good players that we won’t be able to afford because of this contract.

I wonder what Zito could’ve done this past offseason with an extra 10 mill. It seems like he worked magic with what he had. Would’ve loved to see him have the opportunity to get a real 2C and maybe another d-man.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We’re probably going to lose Driedger because of Bob. Not to mention other good players that we won’t be able to afford because of this contract.

I wonder what Zito could’ve done this past offseason with an extra 10 mill. It seems like he worked magic with what he had. Would’ve loved to see him have the opportunity to get a real 2C and maybe another d-man.
It sucks it turned out this way but at the time we thought we were paying an 8M dollar goalie 10M. It was exciting

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The most annoying thing is that he has the NMC the last two seasons: my suggestion is this:
  • 21-22: CD starter Bob backup (12.5M)
  • 22-23: Knight starter, Bob backup (11M)
  • 23-24: Knight, Bob (11M)
  • 24-25/25-26: Knight. Bob (15M?)
    • This is the season in which I wish we could send him to the minors and play Levi as the backup. We could save a half million that way
    • The other option: package Bob at 5M with a first so we can keep Knight and Levi at 11M?

Knight is closer to backup material for the next four years or so. Price became a bonafide starter for the Habs five years after he got drafted and it took for Rask roughly the same amount. And this is exactly the reason why Bob got signed in the first place so that Knight would've been eased into the starter role, beginning in 2024-25.

Reactions: HBK27 and Ratsreign

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Knight is closer to backup material for the next four years or so. Price became a bonafide starter for the Habs five years after he got drafted and it took for Rask roughly the same amount. And this is exactly the reason why Bob got signed in the first place so that Knight would've been eased into the starter role, beginning in 2024-25.
Sometimes you’ve got to push it 22-23 is a big year for us with the last year of the Huberdeau contract. Maybe we can get CD to sign for two years?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It sucks it turned out this way but at the time we thought we were paying an 8M dollar goalie 10M. It was exciting

Cut me out of that, kay.

Rumor: - Panthers interested in Bobrovsky + 8-year extension, per Brooksie

Sometimes you’ve got to push it 22-23 is a big year for us with the last year of the Huberdeau contract. Maybe we can get CD to sign for two years?

Zito doesn't have the pressure. Besides, the pressure is the reason why Dale handed out of these sweetheart deals to Bob, Connolly, Stralman, etc.

Dreidger will probably receive some auction action in the FA so he might get like a $4mil one year deal. $14mil combined for two goalies? Zito gonna browse the bargain bin section again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->