Speculation: How do we "fix" things going forward?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
MacEwen and Gadjovich

Toughness is over rated if you have skill. Having the Roussells / Mckewans costs you 30-40 goals against per year with the “tough” penalties they take.

but we don’t have skill. So we have nothing.

not skilled. Not fast. Not tough. No systems. No defense. No offence. No identity.

Reactions: David71

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
New management and coach full stop.

If we can get new management and coach in I would be willing to give it a year with the current group to see if it's the players or the coach or both.

Absolutely need to get a two way 3C to move Dickinson to 4C and a #1/2 RD and jettison Myers into the sun. We will have to pay to get rid of him but we absolutely need to unfortunately . We will probably have to trade Miller for the RD unfortunately, but I would prefer to keep him under a new coach. Would be willing to trade a top 3 protected first this or next year for the RD but I doubt that gets it done unfortunately.

This is why I hope this is all done soon, so a new coach and management have the rest of this year to evaluate and can make hard decisions Miller, Horvat, and Boeser, as those contract are coming up in the next two years (Boeser RFA this summer, Bo and Miller UFAs next).

likash

Apr 17, 2019
New management and coach full stop.

If we can get new management and coach in I would be willing to give it a year with the current group to see if it's the players or the coach or both.

Absolutely need to get a two way 3C to move Dickinson to 4C and a #1/2 RD and jettison Myers into the sun. We will have to pay to get rid of him but we absolutely need to unfortunately . We will probably have to trade Miller for the RD unfortunately, but I would prefer to keep him under a new coach. Would be willing to trade a top 3 protected first this or next year for the RD but I doubt that gets it done unfortunately.

This is why I hope this is all done soon, so a new coach and management have the rest of this year to evaluate and can make hard decisions Miller, Horvat, and Boeser, as those contract are coming up in the next two years (Boeser RFA this summer, Bo and Miller UFAs next).
You have to pay a 1st round pick to get rid of Myers and the way we are playing that pick would be a top5. Other GM now we are desperate.
Let's first hire a president, a new GM and a new coach. At the trade deadline try to get the most out of Miller and Brock. Pearson , Dick and Poolman have negative value and nobody would touch them without us paying or taking back another bad contract. We need 2 defenders(#2 and #3)like air. OEL's contract is just tragic but if he can keep his current play for another 2-3 years maybe he won't cost us an arm and a leg to move him. We need a savy GM/President to sort this mess without taking another 5-6 years.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hire Gillis as president. Then, he can evaluate and decide who stays and who goes. Benning may even stay until end of season, or be repurposed in a more suitable role.

But hey, I was always a Gillis fan. This would solve the whole “mid season” issue. Hire a president, fire the coach, deal with management in the off-season.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hire Gillis as president. Then, he can evaluate and decide who stays and who goes. Benning may even stay until end of season, or be repurposed in a more suitable role.

But hey, I was always a Gillis fan. This would solve the whole “mid season” issue. Hire a president, fire the coach, deal with management in the off-season.

It would probably be the best thing for this organization but ownership would have way too much pride.

Reactions: vanuck

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
New coach who advocates an offensive style that would work with the current roster and have player buy-in, who wouldn't be so quick to throw lines in the blender, and who has a defensive scheme which includes so many blind back passes (used to be Edler, now even Miller/ Pearson/ Poolman have turned it over at the opponent's blueline for breakaways).

Hire a new GM with a longer-term perspective (who is willing to build through the draft and not throw picks or make panic moves)

Keep: Demko/ Halak (not the problem, if anything he keeps us in games), OEL (surprisingly solid #1 option on LD), Hughes (he's been fine), Hoglander/ Podkolzin (good value and effort on ELC's), Garland (not as young as Hog and Podz but high energy and skilled, plus good chemistry with the Russian), one of Miller/ Horvat (both are leaders but it seems there's too many cooks in the kitchen; should keep one and move forward with him)

Keep (unless the offer is too good to refuse): Petey belongs in this category, only because selling low on him now would be dumb); most of the RD and Dickinson (would be fine with a tighter defensive scheme, so I'd say keep them for now); if Horvat stays, Pearson should too because of their chemistry

Willing to table offers (given that this new GM better be shrewd at trades): ONE of Horvat/ Miller (seems like the rift in the room is between them, but either of their returns would fix some major defensive holes), Boeser (the team has bigger fish to fry and other good young wingers; can trade if the return meets team needs at RD/ 3C); Motte (if he has any value left after the bubble which would yield a higher pick, then trade him; otherwise we can build around him); if there's any interest in the depth guys, have at it

Replace: Lammikko (not good enough on draws to play 4th C, plus we could really use an RHC to replace Sutter), Hunt (not good as #6/ #7 D, need to upgrade 3rd LD); Chiasson (PP pylon)

Reactions: MarkMM

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I like the idea of Jeff Gorton as the president. The first step should be sitting the players down and seeing who wants to be here and who doesn't. Get the f*** out if you don't plain and simple.

Bruce Boudreau is the coach I'd target. Great regular season track record, obviously his playoff record isn't the best... but we need to make the playoffs in the first place to even criticize this.

I'd also yell and scream at Pettersson and Boeser to wake the hell up. If they would actually score as expected a lot of those 1 goal loses might have went the other way. Both have been brutal and honestly deserve a lot more criticism then they are getting.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The only way is to draft our way out of it and find the right moment to move a player who our management identifies as not part of our true "core" and getting proper value from them.

IE Colorado trading Duchene, ORielly, Barrie. Thats a #1 winger, #1C and #2 D they traded. They could have just done nothing and attempted to ride it out with the core in hopes they would turn it around.

Duchene was 26 when he was traded, Orielly was 24, and Barrie was 28.

Horvat is 26, Boeser is 24, and Miller is 28.

There is no quick fix.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Honestly if the return for Pete was good I would consider trading him (1st + A/B+ Prospect).

I think Hughes is a building block for the club & dont think he should be moved but if New Jersey had a crazy offer would you guys consider it (say 2 1sts, solid prospect & roster player + they take on a cap dump of myers or pearson)?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

But then what would Fin do?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just ride it out. Once HighMore and Sutter are back, and Hamonic has been full vaccinated, things will be just fine. These losses are all outlier games remember :nod:

Reactions: Pip and ratbid

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I also like how Horvat “dispelled rumours of a rift” and that’s it. Because for sure he would tell the media if there was one lol

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I also like how Horvat “dispelled rumours of a rift” and that’s it. Because for sure he would tell the media if there was one lol
The rift I’ve thought existed ever since Miller’s first season is him vs Brock.

Miller vs Horvat seems completely manufactured. And a bunch of fans just want a loud mouth captain.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The rift I’ve thought existed ever since Miller’s first season is him vs Brock.

Miller vs Horvat seems completely manufactured. And a bunch of fans just want a loud mouth captain.

Miller vs. Brock? Brock seems way too laid back, quiet and nice for him to beef with anyone.

I'm sure someone like Miller might get annoyed with how soft and perimeter Boeser's play can be a lot of the time but I don't know if anyone except the coach would "go at him" for that (at least not so much that it causes said rift).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Miller vs. Brock? Brock seems way too laid back, quiet and nice for him to beef with anyone.

I'm sure someone like Miller might get annoyed with how soft and perimeter Boeser's play can be a lot of the time but I don't know if anyone except the coach would "go at him" for that (at least not so much that it causes said rift).
And Horvat is a big meanie?

I think it’s a personality clash. Chill guy vs loudness.

I made remarks about this even back then.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Toughness is over rated if you have skill. Having the Roussells / Mckewans costs you 30-40 goals against per year with the “tough” penalties they take.

but we don’t have skill. So we have nothing.

not skilled. Not fast. Not tough. No systems. No defense. No offence. No identity.
Maybe.....but just for context, MacEwen is playing regular minutes with the Flyers, a team light-years better than the Canucks right now. And Vigneault is raving about him. And I have no idea what Gadjovich is doing with the Sharks, but they seemed to value him as well.

'Toughness may be overrated'.....but when you lose what little toughness you have for nothing, it's hard to conclude that it's not another front office screw-up.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Give Boesser 20 mins a night, always first unit power play, everytime a team pulls their goalie put him on right away. Then trade him at the trade deadline.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Fire Benning and Co. Fire Travis Green and all of the coaching staff, except for Ian Clarke. Bring in veteran coaches who have the experience to light a fire under the players asses. Stop hiring rookies from the AHL who have no experience in the big leagues.
Bring in a veteran GM who can actually address team needs, and make good value trades where you get burned 75% of the time. Hoping for a GM who accumulates draft picks, and doesn't trade them away. Overall I just want more experience behind the bench and behind the scenes.

I would hold off on trading Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat until these upper management problems are dealt with first. To see if it lights a fire under these players asses.

I don't want to trade J.T Miller because he's been more of a captain than Horvat this year, but he is unlikely to resign with Vancouver once his contract is up. I would look for a first rounder, good young roster player, and a prospect.

Try to pawn off our garbage, any way, any how. Send Myers, Poolman, Dickenson, and other bums to the moon if possible.

but first and foremost, just get rid of Benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad