Speculation: How do we "fix" things going forward?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fundamentally you need Aquaman to fire Benning and then back away from the team. As long as he insists on meddling he can't attract a high-end GM to run things.

In terms of specifics, it's clear that we need to rebuild the rebuild. I'd try to trade anybody above the age of 25 who has any value at all and use any mid-round picks gained to try to move problematic contracts. If we can gain draft capital and clear some bad contracts we're at least in a good place to reset.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The most important on ice move that needs to be made, is getting rid of Myers. His extremely low IQ in his own end, hurts the team every game. Id rather eat half his salary just so we don't have to play this guy, he's that bad.

Dickenson and Pearson are league minimum types that could/should be replaced by waiver pickups. Chiasson should be in Europe.

Boeser might be the worst skater in the league. Foot speed is atrocious. He is way too slow getting his shot off as well.

EP with another no-battle game. Shocker.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The most important on ice move that needs to be made, is getting rid of Myers. His extremely low IQ in his own end, hurts the team every game. Id rather eat half his salary just so we don't have to play this guy, he's that bad.

Dickenson and Pearson are league minimum types that could/should be replaced by waiver pickups. Chiasson should be in Europe.

Boeser might be the worst skater in the league. Foot speed is atrocious. He is way too slow getting his shot off as well.

EP with another no-battle game. Shocker.
The most important on ice move is to fire greener and let the next guy see what we actually have.

Reactions: Grumpy1

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Keep the course, Benning knows what hes doing, he has targetted the teams weaknesses and gotten rid of them:

Brackett
Cloutier

Reactions: vanuck

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
You burn it to the ground.

Keep 4-5 players.

The rest can f*** off.

Build a new nucleus around Horvat, Hughes, Demko, OEL (he's not going anywhere), Garland, Hoglander, and Podkolzin.
Everybody else should be on the table.
If trading a big fish (Miller, Boeser, EP40), load up on futures and picks like Columbus did in the Seth Jones deal.

Get ourselves in position to select a good player in the draft, and potentially put together a package to move up and grab Shane Wright.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
There’s no quick fix. It’s a 6-7 year fix. Need to wait for all the high priced contracts to expire.

OEL , QH, Myers

Let “home game Hamonic” walk
Let poolman walk.

there’s no help coming. Rathbone is QH light. Can’t defend.

We have the 5th highest paid D and statistically the 3rd worst (and that’s with a good goalie).

1) Clean house this coming week.
2) don’t rush a GM / coach. Let whoever the f***s be interims and hire one in off-season.
3) trade EP40, JTM9, BH53 for 4 1sts (EPx2)
4) finish bottom 3 for 5 years (as if we would have a choice) and draft defensmen that can . defend.
5) use your 9 high first rounders for actual prospects with skill AND character.
6) add verteran FA in year 6 to compliment core. Do not give them term. Demko will be a veteran goalie by then.

window to win is 2028-2035

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I hope new GM is honest and transparent. Just say “this won’t be a quick fix. We aren’t re-tooling we are rebuilding properly. We are going to probably miss the playoffs for a few years (5). We hope you can be patient but this won’t be quick.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I hope new GM is honest and transparent. Just say “this won’t be a quick fix. We aren’t re-tooling we are rebuilding properly. We are going to probably miss the playoffs for a few years (5). We hope you can be patient but this won’t be quick.

you are just lieing to yourself if you believe this, Aquilini is still the owner the mandate will be to win now

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I've learned from Red Alert , 25 years ago, that all you have to do is to send Einstein back in time to prevent Aqua from firing Mike Gillis. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
If i was the Canucks owner... i know who i would hire to "Fix" this mess.....

A pro fixer...

img]

Reactions: wetcoast

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Please don’t let the Sedins run the team. They’ll push for an even softer team if that’s at all possible.

Reactions: moog35

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I've come to the conclusion that there is literally no current member of the Canucks roster that ought to be on the "no-trade" list. Not Demko, not Hughes, not Pettersson. Nobody.

The Canucks need a hard, scorched-earth policy moving forward. If trading anyone on the roster improves the team's future chances of being a Cup contender, they need to do it.

All of this is predicated on the assumption that the Canucks fire Benning and replace him with comptetent management.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
you are just lieing to yourself if you believe this, Aquilini is still the owner the mandate will be to win now

There is no win now.

no money to spend
No draft picks
No prospects
Poor reputation to attract players

this is it. He’s played every single card. Even some cards he doesn’t have yet.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Please don’t let the Sedins run the team. They’ll push for an even softer team if that’s at all possible.

Agreed. Who wants not 1, but 2 of the smartest hockey minds in the game, who are respected by their peers, who have played at the highest level and hall of famers who are regarded for their character and dedication to fitness etc.

I’d much rather a 3rd pairing defensman that retired 50 years ago after a cup of coffee in the nhl when TVs were still in black and white and who can’t strong a sentence together.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
What makes this question hard to answer is that it is difficult to untangle who's to blame for various failings. To be clear, Benning and Green need to go. And if we were to draw an inside straight on the river, FrAq would be corporately reorganized away from the club.

But let's say that happens and we hire a competent POHO with actual autonomy. Whether that person elects to execute a major overhaul or careful surgery is a tough choice.

Uncertainties to address:
1) Can EP re-find his game, and if he does, do we wait until then to shop him or keep him on?
2) How much of a factor was Travis Green's passive defensive structure to the team's losing ways?
3) Is there a market for supposedly unmovable pieces like Myers with some retention or Poolman or Dickinson?
4) Where do the Sedins figure into the long term plans going forwards? Mentor them or freeze them out and break the cycle of OBC?
5) How to manage the JTM trade?
6) Can Boeser's value rehabilitated? Can he fetch one of the team's pressing needs (RHD or matchup 3C) or is it better to sell for futures?
7) Who to hire as a coach? This will depend on the above 6 points and how many changes need to be made.
8) Scouting still an ongoing issue with this club. How to re-organize in the wake of Benning's departure?

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I've never seen or heard of a better plan than the one laid out in the leaked Gillis presentation. I don't have nearly enough information to speculate on specific roster moves, nor do I believe that any move in a vacuum holds any value beyond the rationale that decided it was a worthwhile move. A move made for the right reasons is better than a move made for the wrong reasons even if the latter produces immediate results.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
1.Travel back in time
2. Fire Benning/WiseBro/Green at the end of last season.
3. Don't habdicap the team moving forward.
4. Struggle in 21-22
5. Have a ton of cap space in summer 2022, retool.

Benning f***ed the team moving forward with the Halak and OEL contracts and the Virtanen and Holtby buyouts.

At this point the only choice is to burn it down and start over.

When you say f***** do you mean made sweet sweet lovin, even sweeter than meaningful games in march?

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
I don’t think I’ve ever been more sad as a Canucks fan. We’ve definitely had “worse” teams, but this group was supposed to do something. EP and Hughes were looking like franchise players. I can’t believe what is happening.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah. Blame the twins because the dude who’s earned your favour is finally losing it after 8 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Honesty - stop lying to our clubs fans.

JUST be upfront and honest.

PS - stop overpaying for and over giving term to broken down older scrubs.
Exactly!
Benning for eight years has been digging us into a hole. Take away the idiot’s Shovel!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad