Speculation: How do we "fix" things going forward?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Let's assume what looks to be the inevitable occurs and the Canucks clean house.

What would you want the new management team to do? Where do we go from here?

Vancouver Canucks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Let's also assume that our good players turn things around in the near future and play closer to their expectations (because if not, we're truly boned). I think most would agree our weaknesses in that case are defense and bottom-6.

The bottom-6 is theoretically easier to fix as bottom-6ers are usually more available than legit top-4 D-men. Right now I can't see any top-4 RD being available barring significant overpayment.

Currently we have 25M tied up between OEL, Myers, Pearson, Hamonic and Dickinson. None of these contracts could be moved without paying a price.

So what do we do? And how long until a legitimate window opens for us?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
d6d.jpg

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Fixing the defense is going to require the brightest minds in hockey

1) it’s insanely expensive (5th highest)
&
2) the right side is a MESS
&
3) it is performing like bottom 3 defense in the league
&
4) help is not on the horizon from a prospect standpoint

Reactions: gameface

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Relocate this franchise to some obscure US city.

Bring in the Vancouver Coyotes.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Team is fundamentally flawed. We don't win with anything close to this realistically.

The 'correct' way would be to completely tear it down with a new owner, GM, and coach and probably go for a proper rebuild.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Bring in new GM + coach. Trade miller for a 15th-20th overall + prospect. Tank and acquire a top 5 pick. Re-tool on the fly.

Reactions: John Snow

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Some pairing maybe of Gilman as POHO and Gorton as GM.

Boudreau as coach.

Move Miller (I cry writing this) for a young 1/2 RHD, eating salary and maybe tossing in a marginal piece if that's what it takes to get a good quality young RHD.

Move Myers for anything, I think enough old school GM's will like him enough that we'll get something for him, even a draft pick is fine because the main thing would be freeing us up of his cap.

Sell Motte, he's good and will get us something, maybe a 3rd or higher.

Sell the team that adults are in charge and we're going places, but find out if Horvat and Boeser are willing to commit, if not, move them at their peak rather than lose them for nothing.

Basically free up cap and load up on assets to give Gorton the resources to restructure the team.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
New ownership. New management. New coaching staff. Remove that embarrassing white towel statue. Remove all references to the Vancouver Millionaires which has brought nothing but bad luck.

Reactions: gameface

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Relocate this franchise to some obscure US city.

Bring in the Vancouver Coyotes.

Stuff like this strike me as just low hanging fruit. Why have the Coyotes, really... that's a better francise? No, not in any way
and don't even try to validate your comment it just cannot be done.

Fixes :

1. Hire President of Hockey Operations
2. Fire green, replace with Shaw on "intern" basis.
3. Top down assesment, While I hate the idea, I think it is nessicary to keep benning for a month to overview his thoughts and feelings on everything. This is NOT an endorsement for Benning. It's for new President to eval properly.
4. Fire Benning. Hire new GM &! Assistance GM. Hire Capologist ( not sure who if anyone fills this role but we need aother Gillman)
5. Decide 5 core players, all else movable for other players or prospects.
6. Hire analysts, hire more scouts.

What cannot be done, is if new President and group take over, is to know if Aqua and his spawn would lets the canucks drop below full cap to make moves, or if they would still interfere with this new group

Reactions: HockeyWooot

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
clean house new everything. technially retool rebuilt on the fly... horvat if he is tired of losing then trade him while his value is high. miller as much as i love him to stay his age doesn't fit the core's timeline. get a stud rhd back+picks. motte can garner a pick

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Step 1 - Fire Benning/Wiesbrod
Step 2 - Refer to step 1.

Yes, as per the first line of the thread, we are already assuming new management is in place. :P

The question is: do we wait it out for another 3-4 years when cap opens up (most of our young guys will still be at a good age) or do we take the more risky approach and give up a ton of assets in an attempt to force the window open sooner than later?

Team is fundamentally flawed. We don't win with anything close to this realistically.

The 'correct' way would be to completely tear it down with a new owner, GM, and coach and probably go for a proper rebuild.

New ownership. New management. New coaching staff. Remove that embarrassing white towel statue. Remove all references to the Vancouver Millionaires which has brought nothing but bad luck.

Obviously new ownership would be nice but it is not realistic.

Best we can hope for is Aqua letting the new guy do his thing without meddling.

Reactions: David71

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I made the point in the summer about how if we faltered, we were going to be completely limited in what we can realistically do to fix things in the short term.

Everyone that you’d want to move has NTC’s or indirect NTC’s with their bad cap hits.

Right side of defense all signed to term. Can’t/wont move Hughes or OEL. So… Rathbone?

Can’t move any good vet forwards because we need them or it would signal a few years of further set back.

Pearson and Dickinson have zero value.

We are so bad we can’t even move Motte because the PK would faulter.

We need Podkolzin/Hoglander’s surplus value relative to cap.

So, our movable assets to fix things in the short term are Rathbone and Dipietro. f***ing lit.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
1.Travel back in time
2. Fire Benning/WiseBro/Green at the end of last season.
3. Don't habdicap the team moving forward.
4. Struggle in 21-22
5. Have a ton of cap space in summer 2022, retool.

Benning f***ed the team moving forward with the Halak and OEL contracts and the Virtanen and Holtby buyouts.

At this point the only choice is to burn it down and start over.

Reactions: Indiana

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Stuff like this strike me as just low hanging fruit. Why have the Coyotes, really... that's a better francise? No, not in any way
and don't even try to validate your comment it just cannot be done.

Fixes :

1. Hire President of Hockey Operations
2. Fire green, replace with Shaw on "intern" basis.
3. Top down assesment, While I hate the idea, I think it is nessicary to keep benning for a month to overview his thoughts and feelings on everything. This is NOT an endorsement for Benning. It's for new President to eval properly.
4. Fire Benning. Hire new GM &! Assistance GM. Hire Capologist ( not sure who if anyone fills this role but we need aother Gillman)
5. Decide 5 core players, all else movable for other players or prospects.
6. Hire analysts, hire more scouts.

What cannot be done, is if new President and group take over, is to know if Aqua and his spawn would lets the canucks drop below full cap to make moves, or if they would still interfere with this new group

Kind of proved my point there right?

This organization needs a complete and total overhaul. From management, coaching, scouting and player personnel.

What many of us would (rightfully) do would result in many tough years as our organization resembles that of an expansion franchise.

Arizona has only 5 contracts past this year, and 2 after 2023-24. They are literally starting from scratch. This is something we should perhaps consider. So yeah, pick your "core pieces."

Reactions: Javaman

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
1) Get rid of those that are responsible for all the bad contracts over the years.

2) We will probably have to rebuild.

3) Wait them out. If you can suckered them off on someone...great. Do not give up assets to do it though. The only one that really hurts us long term is OEL. Thank goodness his contract wasn't negotiated by Benning so it isn't buyout proof.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
1.Travel back in time
4. Struggle in 21-22

Benning f***ed the team moving forward with the Halak and OEL contracts and the Virtanen and Holtby buyouts.

I would do that. I'm worried though that I would end up being the cause of Benning being in the first place though and it would just be an endless loop.

Also Netflix's Dark is an amazing show

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
1.Travel back in time
4. Struggle in 21-22

Chance to do that again in 2.5 years. Only bad contract will be OEL and he can be bought out one year later at not a terrible rate. In the meantime get top 5 picks in the next 3 drafts. The core will be in their mid 20s. Miller will be gone and Bo will be 29. There is a legitimate path to being competitive and having a very good prospect pool/depth in 2.5 years. The key will be to have a GM that isn't trying to save his job on a day to day basis and an owner willing to say we'll miss the playoffs for three years in order to create ongoing competitiveness.

Reactions: kanucks25

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Step 1 - Fire Benning/Wiesbrod
Step 2 - Refer to step 1.

this.

start from the top.

mee tried the other steps such as changing players, coaches, drafting that has all failed. It’s time to the one thing he hasn’t done on 9 years which is replacing the gm for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad