Speculation: How do we "fix" things going forward?

likash

Apr 17, 2019
The year they join management all the toughness gets placed on waivers
The Sedins were goons compared to Brock, Petey and Hughes. Daniel tried to fight Perry and Hank tried to elbow Dustin Brown. This team is the softest ever and has no toughness to put on waiver.

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
At minimum: fire the AHL coach in charge of the powerplay.

Then fire the coach in charge of him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Obviously, the coach, GM, AGM should be let go...They have had a very long leash (even more than guys with proven track records).....Chris Gear, Ian Clark will hopefully stick around.

They should get an experienced, veteran coach and GM imo...and possibly a President...(although I'm sure that the Aqualini's will continue to have their hand in things)

I think the team has/and will have a leadership problem..Bo and JTM are natural leaders, but I see both players heading for the exit doors..Elias Pettersson, with his demeanour and body language does not inspire the squad.

The off season implosion should be interesting to see...

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
1. Roberto needs to take over from Francesco
2. A President needs to be hired to put a proper line of division between Ownership and Management.
3. The President needs to not only hire the next GM, but bolster the office with additional experience. Think along the lines of Gillis’ vision for how a modern franchise should be run.
4. The new GM needs to hire a proper NHL coach with a proven track record.
5. New NHL coach should hire their assistants. I presume that Clark stays and the others are gone.

I don’t actually like the idea of making any trades yet. The season is young. Let the new management talk with the players, make their own evaluations, and not rush any trades. I do like the idea of selling one of Miller, Horvat, or Boeser at the deadline but the worst thing we could do is have any of the imbeciles in charge panic sell one of these guys for an inadequate return while their value is low.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Agreed. Who wants not 1, but 2 of the smartest hockey minds in the game, who are respected by their peers, who have played at the highest level and hall of famers who are regarded for their character and dedication to fitness etc.

I’d much rather a 3rd pairing defensman that retired 50 years ago after a cup of coffee in the nhl when TVs were still in black and white and who can’t strong a sentence together.

Great people, well respected, no question but they never won a damn thing here. Quit recycling the old Canucks club and bring people from outside the organization. The Canucks fascination with becoming a small, soft team is baffling to say the least and mission complete it appears. Remember the Sedins pushed for OEL as well.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
By not chasing quick fixes anymore, for one.

Time to get realistic about the situation and bring in someone who will make the extremely tough decisions to fully rebuild this organization from top to bottom, and that starts with a competent president.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Well the 1st and most important step:
z6jCcvU.jpg

Reactions: drax0s and BWJM

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Great people, well respected, no question but they never won a damn thing here. Quit recycling the old Canucks club and bring people from outside the organization. The Canucks fascination with becoming a small, soft team is baffling to say the least and mission complete it appears. Remember the Sedins pushed for OEL as well.

yes, so the outcome of literally 1 game doesn’t define them , regardless of how hurt you were bu the outcome.

“never won a thing”

Olympic gold
World junior gold
Ted Lindsay
Art Ross
King Clancy
Hart
almost a SC
soon to be hall of famers.

That’s a couple of things they won lol.

this “soft” narrative needs to stop. Actual NHL players have debunked it. They barely missed games. You take 20 Antoine “face wash after the whistle” Roussells and I’ll take 20 “soft” sedins and let’s see who does better.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Proof or another claim that's coming from your ass

I guess you have a short memory, but we tried acquiring him the year before they joined on

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Obviously, the coach, GM, AGM should be let go...They have had a very long leash (even more than guys with proven track records).....Chris Gear, Ian Clark will hopefully stick around.

They should get an experienced, veteran coach and GM imo...and possibly a President...(although I'm sure that the Aqualini's will continue to have their hand in things)

I think the team has/and will have a leadership problem..Bo and JTM are natural leaders, but I see both players heading for the exit doors..Elias Pettersson, with his demeanour and body language does not inspire the squad.

The off season implosion should be interesting to see...
Now i'm sure you are Iain. As soon as he started to distance himself from Benning, you did the same thing. It's like you guys have some kind of telepathy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS: It took you 7 years to see the light. If you are genuine, welcome to the club. :thumbu:

Reactions: vanuck and Ozone

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Now i'm sure you are Iain. As soon as he started to distance himself from Benning, you did the same thing. It's like you guys have some kind of telepathy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"PS: It took you 7 years to see the light. If you are genuine, welcome to the club. :thumbu:
"No question that Benning has made some poor trades, and signings (mostly in his first 3 years, during the 'rebuild on the fly)..Most notably the Eriksson signing (which according to Lebrun, was an ownership decision)..A lot of teams are scrambling to get under the cap, and the Canucks are no exception..Earlier UFA signings robbed Benning of his flexibility in dealing with the cap this season (this will probably cost him his job in due course)."..PoM Feb 2021

I also was surprised he retained his job in the off season...Has nothing to do with iMac.

In saying that, I'm sticking with all the points that I've have made previously where I've defended him ...but clearly, his tenure has come to an end...Times up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimnastic

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
yes, so the outcome of literally 1 game doesn’t define them , regardless of how hurt you were bu the outcome.

“never won a thing”

Olympic gold
World junior gold
Ted Lindsay
Art Ross
King Clancy
Hart
almost a SC
soon to be hall of famers.

That’s a couple of things they won lol.

this “soft” narrative needs to stop. Actual NHL players have debunked it. They barely missed games. You take 20 Antoine “face wash after the whistle” Roussells and I’ll take 20 “soft” sedins and let’s see who does better.

Never won the one thing that matters in this town and that is the bottom line.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
'How do you fix things moving forward'? Sadly there's virtually nothing that can be done to salvage this season now. Obviously changes are coming. The owner is backed into a corner, and although it might kill him to be forced a pay a coach and GM for doing nothing over the next couple of years he basically has no option.

Obviously if you're going to replace the GM, the last thing you want is him making deals that could hamstring his successor or the franchise for years. So the activities of a 'lame duck' GM will be limited to a few waiver wire pickups or minor tweaking, but nothing major.

As far as the coaching staff is concerned, it's not a question of 'if' they're gone, but 'when'. And unfortunately the team is playing as if they know the coach is 'week to week'.

So this season is like an episode of Seinfeld.....basically about nothing--other than where the Canucks ultimately land in the treadmill of lottery teams, and how they do in the draft lottery. All this, and it's not even December. Now that is the height of futility!

Reactions: Mr4legs

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Imagine a GM that’s not 100 years old who spends 1M on :

* an accountant to deal with cap
* a lawyer to deal with the league
* a trained negotiator to deal with contracts
* an HR person to conduct pre draft interviews
* a psychiatrist to regularly check in on players
* sports scientist to help with sleep / travel / nutrition
* data tracker to track advanced stats

all that would cost 1M per year total. Not a bad spend on a 84M investment.

Nahhhhh. Just hire 2-3 sixty year olds who used to play hockey 40 years ago that need help turning on a computer.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Fire Dim and bring back Linden into the organization.

Oh yeah... and get F.A to sell the team... F.A doesn't know sweet F.A about ice hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad