How Do We Fix The Defense?

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
While I'm not a fan of Zaitsev, I think he is unfiarly judged on here. He has shown to be an okay 2nd pairing defensemen. The only knock, while a big one, is the 5 years remaining on his contract. Absolutely would not give up assets of value for him but he is preferred Tyler Myers and his expected contract.

Colin Miller is a more desirable target. Shorter term, 3 remaining season, modified ntc doesn't kick in until next off-season. Needing to be moved for Vegas' cap situation. Has shown to be able to produce. Would be a welcome add to the right side. I would move Tanev if you could get a decent package and look at a Mark Pysyk as a replacement.

The left side could remain to the same or see wholesale change with Edler being let go and Hutton moved. Best guess is Edler moves on and Gardiner is targeted. A defensemen I have no interest in. A Patrik Nemeth or Ben Chiarot would be better targets to replace the tougher minutes that Edler saw.

Reactions: F A N

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Benning gives away anything to take on this player,he should be fired on the spot..let's just pray that another team is more foolish to want Zaitsev.

You know he won't be. You also know there will be people praising Benning for adding "size and toughness" to the back end. Even though he's not really tough, and his size is meaningless.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
How to improve the defense ?

Trouba for 2020 1st Hutton and Virtanen
Sign Gardiner to replace Edler
Karlsson
Tryamkin

Tanev Karlsson
Trouba Hughes
Tryamkin and Stetcher
Schenn

As your next GM I will also implement hot dog day where all fans in the arena get hot dogs at the game

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
And to be clear, I'm also ok with him leaving if he insists on expansion protection—we simply can't hamstring ourselves like that and get into a situation where we're paying Seattle premium assets to not take certain players.

Looking at this roster I can't see any player worth protecting that would cost premium assets to protect. Looking at who needs protection from the current roster gives you

Premium forwards: Pettersson Boeser Horvat
Premium Dman: None

Decent draft fodder forwards: Roussel Virtanen Leivo (Pearson Baertschi*)
Decent draft fodder D: Stecher (Hutton*)

Wildcard F: Gaudette
Wildcard D: Juolevi, Tanev **

* Pearson and Baertschi have contracts that expire in 2021 so you don't need to protect them if you wait until after the expansion draft to sign them. If Hutton signs a 2 year deal I believe he would be a 28yo UFA.

** Tanev will be 31 and may have walked away in 2020 when his contract ends or he is more likely to have been traded away if the Canucks are out of a playoff spot.

Such is the lack of depth the Canucks could go 8 skaters+1G over the more traditional 7F+3D+1G, if they are worried about losing one of their D. Edler Tanev Juolevi Stecher Boeser Pettersson Horvat (Gaudette/whoever) + goalie.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This could belond in this thread or the draft thread, but I'm beginning to think we'll definitely be taking Broberg if he's available. From everything I've read he's one of the most NHL-ready defensive prospects in the draft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Proposals for Trouba are just silly.

Winnipeg is one of the best teams in the league and would like nothing more than to keep their best defender long-term.

The only reason he’s being moved is that he doesn’t want to play in Canada so far from where he’s from and won’t re-sign in Winnipeg. And the notion that he wouldn’t sign for the top team he’s played with for years but would be willing to re-sign even further away from home with us is just nonsense.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Looking at this roster I can't see any player worth protecting that would cost premium assets to protect. Looking at who needs protection from the current roster gives you

Premium forwards: Pettersson Boeser Horvat
Premium Dman: None

Decent draft fodder forwards: Roussel Virtanen Leivo (Pearson Baertschi*)
Decent draft fodder D: Stecher (Hutton*)

Wildcard F: Gaudette
Wildcard D: Juolevi, Tanev **

* Pearson and Baertschi have contracts that expire in 2021 so you don't need to protect them if you wait until after the expansion draft to sign them. If Hutton signs a 2 year deal I believe he would be a 28yo UFA.

** Tanev will be 31 and may have walked away in 2020 when his contract ends or he is more likely to have been traded away if the Canucks are out of a playoff spot.

Such is the lack of depth the Canucks could go 8 skaters+1G over the more traditional 7F+3D+1G, if they are worried about losing one of their D. Edler Tanev Juolevi Stecher Boeser Pettersson Horvat (Gaudette/whoever) + goalie.

It limits our option to leverage an extra expansion spot to acquire an expansion eligible player at a discount though. We just need options this time around and not stuck protecting guys like Eriksson and Sutter again.

Reactions: THE Green Man

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It limits our option to leverage an extra expansion spot to acquire an expansion eligible player at a discount though. We just need options this time around and not stuck protecting guys like Eriksson and Sutter again.
Anaheim again will get hit on their D. 6 eligible guys in Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Larsson, Guhle, and Mahura.

They will lose another one. Have to use your open spots to target a team that has excess.

Man, Anaheim is a D factory. Gardiner, Schultz, Vatanen, Montour, Theodore, and Pettersson are all under 30 and on different NHL teams. Imagine if Schultz and Gardiner have developed under Anaheim’s coaching and system.

Reactions: timw33

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Anaheim again will get hit on their D. 6 eligible guys in Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Larsson, Guhle, and Mahura.

They will lose another one. Have to use your open spots to target a team that has excess.

Man, Anaheim is a D factory. Gardiner, Schultz, Vatanen, Montour, Theodore, and Pettersson are all under 30 and on different NHL teams. Imagine if Schultz and Gardiner have developed under Anaheim’s coaching and system.

I'm not sure how good Larsson/Guhle/Mahura are supposed to be, they don't really have much NHL experience yet. But all 3 are guys worth protecting in an expansion draft then that doesn't help us acquire one for cheap.

It's a funny thing about the expansion draft. If you have one good player you're set to lose it's painful. But if you have a glut of them then in a way it becomes an asset. The pain of losing one is mitigated, and because you can only lose one player here you could technical add more players of equivalent value if you find them for cheap.

Basically if Anaheim is going to lose say Mahura then that means they get to keep Larsson and Guhle so they have zero reason to trade either. Especially if teams with roster space are looking for a bargain.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
While I'm not a fan of Zaitsev, I think he is unfiarly judged on here. He has shown to be an okay 2nd pairing defensemen. The only knock, while a big one, is the 5 years remaining on his contract. Absolutely would not give up assets of value for him but he is preferred Tyler Myers and his expected contract.

Colin Miller is a more desirable target. Shorter term, 3 remaining season, modified ntc doesn't kick in until next off-season. Needing to be moved for Vegas' cap situation. Has shown to be able to produce. Would be a welcome add to the right side. I would move Tanev if you could get a decent package and look at a Mark Pysyk as a replacement.

The left side could remain to the same or see wholesale change with Edler being let go and Hutton moved. Best guess is Edler moves on and Gardiner is targeted. A defensemen I have no interest in. A Patrik Nemeth or Ben Chiarot would be better targets to replace the tougher minutes that Edler saw.

I haven't watched Zaitsev play enough to really judge but I too think he can be a 2nd pairing Dman. Zaitsev asking for a trade is actually pretty interesting. It could be that he can't stand the spotlight in Toronto and or that he doesn't like his usage. If it's the latter, the interesting part is that Babcock trusts him and uses him as a shutdown Dman who is on the 1st unit PK.

I think that Vancouver and Travis Green's system could be a better fit for Zaitsev. But his contract... Personally I get the feeling that Zaitsev is kind of like Hutton. He's a 2nd pairing guy who can log good minutes with the right partner. But he's not the type to stabilize a pairing or make a pairing better. Given that I am in the trade Hutton camp I will pass on Zaitsev if it involves trading a decent asset for him.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
How to improve the defense ?

Trouba for 2020 1st Hutton and Virtanen
Sign Gardiner to replace Edler
Karlsson
Tryamkin

Tanev Karlsson
Trouba Hughes
Tryamkin and Stetcher
Julolevi Schenn

As your next GM I will also implement hot dog day where all fans in the arena get hot dogs at the game
I'm all for hot dog day but can do without Gardiner and Trouba who only wants east coast apparently. Signing Karlsson and bringing back Tryamkin would be enough for me.

Tryamkin Karlsson
Hughes Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Juolevi Schenn

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
On the bright side the Jets apparently are re-entering negotiations with Myers. As much as JB trading for Zaitsev scares me, I would much rather:
Zaitsev @5 year term + 2nd round pick > Myers @ 7 year term

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
My impression of Zaitsev is that he's a high event defender. He's got some offense, some physicality, some mobility, but also makes questionable decisions. I like the Hutton comparison.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Thanks.

Some of the relevant visuals:

nikita-zaitsev-vs-troy-stecher-a3z.png

nikita-zaitsev-heat-map.png

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The shape of the defense will depend enormously on what happens with three players over the next year: Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Woo.

If all show they have top 4 potential to varying degrees, their D is set for years to come. If none of them show this, the D is in serious shape and won't be fixed with minor moves. Of course, the outcome will probably be somewhere in the middle. This is the conundrum of the moment. Signing a big ugly UFA contract that is on the books for years or giving up significant assets in a trade could be a big mistake.

I would be tempted to wait one year, try to manage the upcoming year with organizational D-men and maybe a middling UFA, then make any big moves next off season when they know if Tryamkin is coming back, they see if Juolevi is a real player, and Woo has another development year. And, in the process, they very likely get another top 10 pick.

This doesn't mesh with the perception that ownership wants to make the playoffs next year or with JB likely needing to have the team perform well to get a new contract. But it is could be the most prudent from the stance of building a competitive team in the years after next.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If Edler isn't going to be signed and Zaitsev is the only plausible trade option, I would then resort to just signing Gardiner and Myers, then package up a trade for a top 6 winger using Virtanen + Juolevi + 2020 1st round as pieces.

Defence would be this:

Hughes-Myers
Gardiner-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher

That defence will be a lot more offensive.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Edler isn't going to be signed and Zaitsev is the only plausible trade option, I would then resort to just signing Gardiner and Myers, then package up a trade for a top 6 winger using Virtanen + Juolevi + 2020 1st round as pieces.

Defence would be this:

Hughes-Myers
Gardiner-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher

That defense would be absolute junk considering you have a bottom pairing defenseman paired with a rookie on your top pair, a walking injury on the second pair with another defenseman who is coming off a serious back problem.

Also the Canucks should not be looking to move their 2020 1st round pick. That's not the type of move a team in the Canucks position should be even considering. I'm so glad you're not running the team, though I fear Benning also thinks this way which should scare the crap out of any Canuck fan.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Defence would be this:

Hughes-Myers
Gardiner-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher

Wow, really? I appreciate that the development trajectories of Virtanen and Juolevi are disappointing, but you're basically packaging three top 10 picks for a winger (a team need but least important position) that might slot in on the second line...This could very well be a Hall++ for Larsson.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Wow, really? I appreciate that the development trajectories of Virtanen and Juolevi are disappointing, but you're basically packaging three top 10 picks for a winger (a team need but least important position) that might slot in on the second line...This could very well be a Hall++ for Larsson.

I said pieces not necessarily a total package.

Canucks realistically need two wingers in the top 6. One that is a bonafide 1st liner and one that can add close to 50 points and support Horvat/Pearson. I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign Justin Williams to a 1 year contract and slot him on the second line.

X-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-X

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Did you just compare the reigning league MVP to Jake Virtanen and Oli f***ing Juolevi?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad