How Do We Fix The Defense?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I honestly think there is no way to improve the d core significantly this offseason, no big name UFA is gonna sign here unless it’s a gross overpayment, we lack quality d man as much as we lack quality forwards so we’re not trading horvat/boeser for defence.
We’re not trading away picks because we need young guns desperately.
JB has driven the bus down a cliff.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Elliote Friedman re Edler: "Theres a sense this has gone off the rails" "There are people who are convinced he's not going back to Vancouver" "It's a lot harder than everyone thought it would be" "Issue is term and expansion draft eligibility"

Good luck upgrading the D-core by removing one of the two good D men we have.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Elliote Friedman re Edler: "Theres a sense this has gone off the rails" "There are people who are convinced he's not going back to Vancouver" "It's a lot harder than everyone thought it would be" "Issue is term and expansion draft eligibility"

Honestly depending on what Edler is asking for I'm ok with letting him go.

Reactions: MarkMM

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Honestly depending on what Edler is asking for I'm ok with letting him go.

And to be clear, I'm also ok with him leaving if he insists on expansion protection—we simply can't hamstring ourselves like that and get into a situation where we're paying Seattle premium assets to not take certain players. Would be fine giving Edler a higher AAV on a two-year deal though.

What worries me is that we're swapping out Edler for a much worse player (i.e Myers) locked in long term, and the fact that we potentially got zero compensation for another UFA and continue the trend of slowly bleeding our assets.

However, if we lose Edler and miss on all the high $$ high term middling D UFAs and downgrade an already terrible D-core, it would be a huge step in the right direction for us stumbling out of the gate and getting Benning fired.

Benning is not motivated for the above situation to happen, he's going to be a desperate GM with tons of cap space to throw around. It could get extremely ugly.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Replacing Edler could be done..but it would require the team being run by a smart person who's capable of having a vision and identifying quality talent, far too much to ask.

Still think throwing the money they ended up giving to Beagle at Calvin De Haan instead last FA signing period would've been smart..

Reactions: racerjoe and timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was in favour of targeting a guy like Calvin De Haan last summer. He's not a guy that moves the needle but he was young enough and can log top 4 minutes. Granted, his contract didn't end up being all that cheap and was coming off major surgery last year.

The trade market has more options, albeit not necessarily attractive ones.

Reactions: timw33

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Benning is Andy. Edler is Woody... and the dman Andy wants for his birthday is the shiny new toy, Buzz.

Woody's going to leave, if he's not appreciated.

Benning wants to put the old toys in a box, give the box to Bonnie, and make room for shiny new toys... for his island of misfit toys. It better work, or President Business is going to blow a gasket.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Took me more than a second...

A Toy Story reference.

I feel old as dirt.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
And to be clear, I'm also ok with him leaving if he insists on expansion protection—we simply can't hamstring ourselves like that and get into a situation where we're paying Seattle premium assets to not take certain players. Would be fine giving Edler a higher AAV on a two-year deal though.

What worries me is that we're swapping out Edler for a much worse player (i.e Myers) locked in long term, and the fact that we potentially got zero compensation for another UFA and continue the trend of slowly bleeding our assets.

However, if we lose Edler and miss on all the high $$ high term middling D UFAs and downgrade an already terrible D-core, it would be a huge step in the right direction for us stumbling out of the gate and getting Benning fired.

Benning is not motivated for the above situation to happen, he's going to be a desperate GM with tons of cap space to throw around. It could get extremely ugly.

Yea I'd rather have neither if those are the choices. I don't think it's an understatement to say that this offseason can potentially determine the future of the Canucks for the next decade.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

I'd lose my mind if benning lets edler walk and signs someone like myers or zaitsev.

Edler is the best dmen by far on the canucks and he plays some of the hardest minutes among defencemen in the entire league.

Matchup data shows he played against first line forwards >50% of the time which is in the 100th percentile.
He played against bottom 6 forwards <30% of the time which is in the ~5th percentile.

Source:
Dellow: Matchup data for defencemen from all 31 teams to...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Think you guys might be a team in mix for Erik Gustafsson if Hawks look to move him? I see the Edler stuff and figure a PMD who is open to longterm deal would be what your GM is looking for

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
According to Friedman, on a scale of 1-5 the Canucks interest in Zaitsev is a 4.

:laugh: Benning is going to give up assets for an overpaid bottom pair defenseman who should be nothing more than a Leafs cap dump. This is hilarious.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
According to Friedman, on a scale of 1-5 the Canucks interest in Zaitsev is a 4.

:laugh: Benning is going to give up assets for an overpaid bottom pair defenseman who should be nothing more than a Leafs cap dump. This is hilarious.
Wow ,,if he does,,good ,,Benning has had enough rope to to ruin this team,,now let him write his own ticket off it....this is crazy if true..

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wow ,,if he does,,good ,,Benning has had enough rope to to ruin this team,,now let him write his own ticket off it....this is crazy if true..

What’s even funnier is how Dhaliwal reports about if the Canucks have what Toronto would want for Zaitsev. That’s terrifying. Zaitsev should be someone we get paid to take from Toronto. The Leafs have zero leverage. He’s a garbage bottom pair defenseman making $4.5M per season, and they are desperate for cap space. We should be getting at least a 2nd round pick to take him on. But you just know Benning is good to be giving away a 2nd round pick to get him.

Reactions: THE Green Man

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The poster is correct in this case though. This GM has demonstrated a clear inability to assess and acquire quality D-men. He has doubled down on poor players. Such a person is unlikely to be able rebuild the biggest weakness on the team. A weakness that has been apparent for a significant amount of time. A weakness one part ignored and one part botched fixes.

Figured I’d just repost this from earlier in the thread after hearing the Zaitsev rumor.

Reactions: MS

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
What’s even funnier is how Dhaliwal reports about if the Canucks have what Toronto would want for Zaitsev. That’s terrifying. Zaitsev should be someone we get paid to take from Toronto. The Leafs have zero leverage. He’s a garbage bottom pair defenseman making $4.5M per season, and they are desperate for cap space. We should be getting at least a 2nd round pick to take him on. But you just know Benning is good to be giving away a 2nd round pick to get him.
If Benning gives away anything to take on this player,he should be fired on the spot..let's just pray that another team is more foolish to want Zaitsev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad