How Do We Fix The Defense?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
In 5 years the only D men of note this administration has added through draft, FA, or trade are Stetcher and Hughes.

In that time we've let Bieksa (2nd acquired then immediately squandered in Sutter deal), Garrison (2nd acquired then immediately traded for Vey), Hamhuis, and possibly Edler walk away for nothing.

The 4 top-4 Dmen we had: poof, gone for nothing.

The other guys (Hutton, Tanev, Biega) were already in the organization when Benning took over. Biega specifically has been overlooked until it was absolutely necessary for him to play due to injuries.

They simply can't scout NHL d-men—even the draft results aside from a Top-10 pick has failed to yield a defencemam who even looks good in the AHL for christ's sake.

Acquisition wise is a pile of misery: an *entire* drafts worth of picks/equivalent prospects were traded, and all we have to show for it right now is cap-dump Pearson.

Are they going to have a lightbulb moment and go "aha, now I know what an NHL D man looks like"? No.

Thus, the first step in fixing the defense is a review of the scouting with an intense focus on how they're evaluating the position.

The next step I'd like to see is a very aggressive trading off of vets for picks, and using those extra picks on the back end.

In the meantime, try to fill the vacancies on D with older players on contracts that might make them worth something at the deadline. Schenn might be one.

I doubt that anything like this will happen as long as Benning is in charge.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Next year's first eh? Pierre Dorion just tried that with Duchesne in Ottawa look how that turned out. Wound up with fromage on his face, yet somehow hung onto his job there.

Sound familiar?
I'd like to believe this team isn't even close to as dysfunctional as that Sens team/franchise.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
No easy fix.

Draft Broberg. Lundmark and hope Juolevi Woo and Tryamkin turn into forces.

Going nowhere without a really good top4

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
You gotta draft em, and draft alot. Spend a couple years taking firsts, use a couple in 2nd-3rds. Look at the Flyers, suddenly a nice crop of D after patience.. so they can actually move one for pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad