how did you become a HABSFAN??

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I turned on the TV and the habs were playing the Blue Jackets. I flipped a coin on one of them being my team, thank god the Habs won that coin toss

But really it was the MTL culture

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Born in Montrea from a family that didn't really know hockey... For a while we would only watch basketball because my parents didn't know what hockey was. I remember watching TV during the Stars championship year and landing on the last game of the series.... I've been hooked on hockey ever since, and living in Montreal, the Habs were where I naturally went.

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
It all started thanks to Eurosport, a sign written in French in a Finnish crowd and, a year later, a 56k dial-up modem...

Being raised in Nantes, western France, everything pointed at me becoming a soccer fan, which I became, going to the stadium with my grand-father, father and brother...

Ice hockey was just an Olympic sport like many that I could follow when it was shown on TV, i.e., only during the Olympics. I remember rooting for France in Albertville, when they reached the quarter-finals, though, at 10, I was only starting to get interested in sports, including soccer. Two years later, I was more involved in the Lillehammer Olympics, and I rooted for Sweden and Finland, mainly because of their goalies, Tommy Salo and Järmo Mÿllÿs (like many kids, I first had a soft spot for goalies).

Shortly after, we subscribed to cable TV and Eurosport started to broadcast the world championships. When they were on, we used to play hockey in the living room with my brother. Our sticks were field hockey sticks and the puck was made of jam jar lids covered with foam (of different colours, representing the biggest hockey countries, yellow and blue for Sweden, blue and white for Finland, red and white for Canada...). And the front door was the goal. You guess we made our mom crazy at that time...

In 1997, the World Championships were held in Finland. Mid-way through the tournament, a little Finn joined his national team, and was being presented as the Messiah that would help his country win the title again. Saku Koivu was indeed very good, though it was not enough to prevent Sweden from avenging the 1995 humiliation... Still, it was too late. The French commentators sold me on Koivu and Finland, talking about the "Tupu, Hupu ja Lupu" line (Peltonen-Koivu-Lehtinen, nicknamed Huey, Dewey and Louie in 95) that amazed the world 2 years before. And the last strike was that sign held by a Finnish fan in the crowd "Saku Koivu Le Magnifique". The commentators explained that it was because he played for the Montréal Canadiens, and that it was a reference to one of the greatest hockey players ever, Mario Lemieux.

A year later, 56k dial-up modems and Internet came to town. That would mean further yelling from my mother when the phone bills were arriving (local calls were not free in France back then, and, well, it would take hours to browse the net looking for NHL news...). Ice hockey and NHL quickly became my main browsing topic, and I started to look at the Habs results (as it was Koivu's team !) through the NHL and the RDS websites. I still remember reading Benoît Brunet put the last nail in the Penguins' coffin that spring before going to school. And the playoffs quickly coming to an end afterwards when Hasek wouldn't let a goal in...

While playing a lot with the EA NHL games, my fandom grew with my internet connection. When ADSL and radio broadcast arrived, I started to listen to the games live during nights. CKAC and Dany Dubé became the voice from the other side of the pond... In April 2002, I cried like a child, alone in the dark, while Saku received his well deserved standing ovation when returning from cancer.

From then, there were ups and downs in the way I would (could) follow the games while going to university / working / having a family life. But I'm still there and will forever be there in the Habs empire...

I had the chance to come to Canada in 2006 for an internship. It was not in Québec, unfortunately, but I met some cool Leaf fans (yes, there are some !) in Waterloo, Ontario. I came to the Bell Centre for a game against the Devils (bad choice...), in which the Habs lost 3-2 after a late rally. Still, it was such a great experience to see Koivu, Huet, Brodeur... live.

I was mad at Gainey when he let Koivu go, but the 2010 playoffs made it less painful...

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Man, so many great stories here. But reading some of them really makes me wonder what the average age of posters is here, like the Olympics in Albertville were in 1992, I was 2! Or the poster saying he saw the Habs play the Red Army, I was one when the Soviet Union got dissolved... So much history on this forum...

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Lived all my youth in Québec City and was a Nordiques fans until they died in 1995. Was crush when they moved so took half a year break from hockey.

Then the Patrick Roy incident happened when he asked to be traded. They got former young Nords player for him, so i got interested by the Habs. Then after a couple of year of watching more and more of the Habs games, i decided to become a fan, cause they were the only team left in Québec. I was always an Expos Fans, so if i could root for the Montréal baseball team, why would i not root for the Montréal hockey team? And its always better following a sports when you have a favorite team. Ever since i have been a Habs fan.

Do i hope for a return of my first love the Nords? Yes of course. Would i get back to root for them? Yes of course. But i abandonned the Habs? No way Jose. I have decided that i will be a fan of both teams.

I know i get flak from Nords fans for being a traitor cause i take for the Habs. And i get flak from Habs fans cause they think i must hate the Habs if i root for a return of the Nords. I dont care. I am a true Habs fans, that is in a foul mood when they lose, and is feelling great when they win.

... and i would cry of joy if the Nords ever come back to Québec City.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Born in 1991, I was a baseball fan first, following the Expos with my dad (I was about 6 or 7 at that time) and often went to the big O (4-5 times a year, which really wasn't bad, living in the Eastern Townships)

However, my older brother was playing hockey, so I quickly started being interested in that too. I loved going to his games, and there often were dinners during tournaments or at hotels where the whole team and parents would watch the Habs games, so obviously I joined them and I grew interested.

Same as baseball though, I became a real fan because of my dad, who took me to see some games at the Molson Centre, from which point I never looked bad, nor doubted what team I wanted to be a fan of!

I became a fan during pretty tough years with the Barry Richter, Igor Ulanov (actually loved him), Jim Campbell and other no-names being on the team, so I only had a handful of players I really liked (Oleg Petrov was my favorite for a long time), but now, I like everyone on the team, and pretty much every player as soon as the Habs get their rights :)

Now 21, I'm still a huge fan and hope my future children will also be, because I know how special it can be watching a game between father and son

almostjesus*

I was born in Montreal and lived their till I was around 6. Moved to BC right after since my aunt moved here and my mom wanted to be closer to her sister.

I've been visiting Montreal every summer since then up until recently I actually started driving their with my fiancee. I've driving there the last 4 summers in a row. My quickest time has been 2 days from BC to St-Michel, Montreal, QC

It's a beautiful drive and I never get tired of it especially how we sleep in my truck, bathe in lakes and explore lots of locations.

Ever since I was a kid I was a habs fan. My dad was a close friend with Lyle Odelein, I don't know if any of you remember him.

I remember watching them win the cup in 1993. Montreal was crazy. That has stuck with me ever since.

I will say this. Montreal is the best and most beautiful CITY in North America but BC has better outdoors/back country/forests.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I never became a Habs fan, I was born a Habs fan.

Sums up my story right here.

I remember watching games with my Dad when I was a kid, and I couldn't wait to see Peter Puck during the intermission. :laugh:

images

HardcoreHab

A Man With No Plan
Dec 15, 2005
Kingston, ON
Like so many others, I was born into it. I'm originally from Sherbrooke and like my father and his father, I'm a Habs fan.

Honestly though, I was a bigger fan of the Expos than I was the Canadiens. During the early 90s, I was a teenager and I became obsessed with the Expos and MLB. The Habs really took a backseat for a few years there. After the Expos were relocated to Washington, my love for the NHL resurfaced as I slowly lost interest in MLB altogether. It's now been over five years since I've even seen an MLB game while I haven't missed a Habs game (TV or Live) in 5 seasons.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
When I was 3 weeks old, my Mom took me for a walk in the stroller. We crossed under a maple tree and a leaf fell onto my lap. I puked.

We went home, and she put clothes in the laundry and gave me a Hab shirt. Instantly other female babies started hitting on me. Formula tasted sweeter. I walked the next day. End of story.

KrisMoody

Mar 9, 2012
Malmö
Wow, some really amazing stories here. Gotta love this forum!

For me, it started during the finals in '93. I started to play and watch hockey in 92-93 as a 9 year old boy here in Sweden and my first team was the LA Kings because of Gretzky and thomas Sandström. But during the games versus Montreal something happened, I just fell in love with the shirt, Desjardins, Daigneault, Carbo, Damphousse, Muller and, of course, St Patrick himself. Since then it's been a steady and loyal relationship.

Last year I got the opportunity to go to Montreal and watch a game at Centre Bell, a 5-2 win against TBL. That trip made me fall in love with the city of Montreal as well. Will try to get back for next season!

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
As a kid I liked the bruins because of Orr, but saw a doctor and was cured. (Actually, it was my Dad.)

(Edit) -- similar to Boris above ha, yes thank god for interventions !

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I was 4, my bed time was 7pm. I heard my dad screaming downstairs and sneaked down to see what was going on. Some strange sport was going on the television, I sat on the stairs with my head on the rails and watched. I only got caught months later when I cheered a goal :laugh:

They changed my bed time to the end of the third period if the Habs were playing, they had to because I'd just keep sneaking downstairs.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Great stories here.

I like many others was born a Habs fan, in Niagara Falls Ontario in the middle of "Leafs Nation" of all places. My Father's Grandfather was Acadien from New Brunswick and my Grandfather moved to Niagara when he was young. The Habs were obviously the team of choice for the Acadiens in the area. My Great Grandfather watched the Rocket win the Cup, my Grandfather Beliveau, my father Lafleur, me Patrick Roy.

I now have a son and daughter that are loving the Habs and hope they can see Price and the boys lead them to glory again and keep the tradition going.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Born in the Greater Toronto Area, my whole family are Leaf fans so it was expected that I would just fall in line with the rest of the masses. Little did they know the power that a guy like Patrick Roy could hold over a 7 year old boy en route to winning the Cup in 93. To this day I am stuck between a rock and a hard place in that I am a diehard Habs fan, but I have to support the Leafs too because they are still my hometown team. I want the people I live with and around to be happy.

Unless they are playing the Canadiens of course, in which case I hope that they are all miserable ****** due to the ass kicking they are receiving. ;)

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Lived all my youth in Québec City and was a Nordiques fans until they died in 1995. Was crush when they moved so took half a year break from hockey.

Then the Patrick Roy incident happened when he asked to be traded. They got former young Nords player for him, so i got interested by the Habs. Then after a couple of year of watching more and more of the Habs games, i decided to become a fan, cause they were the only team left in Québec. I was always an Expos Fans, so if i could root for the Montréal baseball team, why would i not root for the Montréal hockey team? And its always better following a sports when you have a favorite team. Ever since i have been a Habs fan.

Do i hope for a return of my first love the Nords? Yes of course. Would i get back to root for them? Yes of course. But i abandonned the Habs? No way Jose. I have decided that i will be a fan of both teams.

I know i get flak from Nords fans for being a traitor cause i take for the Habs. And i get flak from Habs fans cause they think i must hate the Habs if i root for a return of the Nords. I dont care. I am a true Habs fans, that is in a foul mood when they lose, and is feelling great when they win.

... and i would cry of joy if the Nords ever come back to Québec City.

What are you going to do when they play each other?

You can't lose!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I have had the privilege of being a fan since the early 1950's and attended many games and watched all of the greatest players of their respective eras. What is interesting, is the moments and events that left an indelible impression in my memory: Marcel Bonin's retirement to become a police officer (the team presented him with a bullet proof vest); the feel and sound of the broken glass when walking on St. Catherine's Street the morning after the Richard riot; Larry Robinson's open ice hit on Anton Stastny (I could actually feel the force of the collision from my seat); Henri Richard's fight with Vic Hadfield (Richard won); Al Sims open ice hit on Yvan Cournoyer (I think that this hit started Cournoyer's physical decline); the 1971 Playoff run when the team beat Boston, Minnesota and then Chicago (the city was in a frenzy particularly after Henri Richard called Al McNeil the worst coach he had ever played for); Bobby Hull skating wide on Laperriere and beating Charlie Hodge with a slap shot that still hasn't stopped; Patrick Roy's first exhibition game against the Oilers (they killed us); Lafleur scoring on Meloche with the hardest shot I have ever seen; John Ferguson stalking and then attacking Ted Green (you could see the fear in Green's eyes) and the grace of Jean Beliveau ( I was in New York in the late 1970's attending a Rangers /Montreal game when suddenly the fans around me stood and started to applaud. Beliveau had walked into the building. I don't think New Yorkers would have been that polite if the President had entered.

That is all.

Last edited:

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I have had the privilege of being a fan since the early 1950's and attended many games and watched all of the greatest players of their respective eras. What is interesting, is the moments and events that left an indelible impression in my memory: Marcel Bonin's retirement to become a police officer (the team presented him with a bullet proof vest); the feel and sound of the broken glass when walking on St. Catherine's Street the morning after the Richard riot; Larry Robinson's open ice hit on Anton Stastny (I could actually feel the force of the collision from my seat); Henri Richard's fight with Vic Hadfield (Richard won); Al Sims open ice hit on Yvan Cournoyer (I think that this hit started Cournoyer's physical decline); the 1971 Playoff run when the team beat Boston, Minnesota and then Chicago (the city was in a frenzy particularly after Henri Richard called Al McNeil the worst coach he had ever played for); Bobby Hull skating wide on Laperriere and beating Charlie Hodge with a slap shot that still hasn't stopped; Patrick Roy's first exhibition game against the Oilers (they killed us); Lafleur scoring on Meloche with the hardest shot I have ever seen; John Ferguson stalking and the attacking Ted Green (you could see the fear in Green's eyes) and the grace of Jean Beliveau ( I was in New York in the late 1970's attending a Rangers /Montreal game when suddenly the fans around me stood and started to applaud. Beliveau had walked into the building. I don't think New Yorkers would have been that polite if the President had entered.

That is all.

If this thread was a contest, I think we would have a winner.

WOW !!!

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
My story is very atypical. I am Asian-American, and grew up in Maryland. So, I was a Capitals fan from the start. Everything pointed to me being a Caps fan for life. I would listen to Sportalk 980 and Steve Kolbe in middle school and follow the Caps team that had Bondra, Oates, Johansson, Gonchar, etc. I was not around for that Cup run, so I never saw Dale Hunter play. My earliest recollections was watching games when Juneau was still a Cap. Then, I just didn't bother anymore maybe in 2003. Whatever the case, I didn't know about the "blowup" and drafting of Ovechkin. I wouldn't follow hockey at all of 5-6 years.

So, when I got back into hockey, it was for the second half of the Caps President's Trophy run. Would catch every stream, at the expense of sleep and my grades. Then to infamous playoff series happened, and they day after was one of great fury. Of course, I supported the Habs against Pittsburgh because every Caps fan really hates Pittsburgh, then I didn't bother following.

The game that sealed my desertion and betrayal of the Crapitals was the game against Pittsburgh the next season. I was watching a Caps stream, but maybe they were "soff" or losing and I switched over
to the Habs stream against Pittsburgh. They came back and won!!! That sealed the deal. I'm jumping ship and going to the Habs. I had to suffer the soff Jacques Martin, but now, I think I'm in a good place.
Ironically, I don't hate Pittsburgh anymore. Or at least, they're just another team. I now absolutely had the Capitals, and trolled their fans on Yahoo! boards. My only infractions on here were from me trolling Caps fans, but I've chilled out now.

Also, being the brainiac I am, I realize that this transformation from Caps fan to Habs fan is a personal anedocte of "self-expansion" and its opposite.

Sam Pollock played a big role, as a Washington fan, I've had to suffer through mediocre teams fielded by crappy management(Redskins 2008 and forward, but the Redskins never could field a team that could win it all for an entire decade). Reading about Pollock's trade that eventually nabbed him Lafleur was simply great, along with other principles he follow, such as don't always mortgage away the future, a critical rule to follow if you want to have any hope of contending for a championship.

And I must give a little love to Lapierre. He's got an awesome last name. :laugh:

now thats a story!!! :yo::yo::yo:

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Nordiques fan father who hated the Canadiens, watching hockey with him as a kid, go figure how I turned good.

Not sure exactly how it happened but watched the 93 & 94 playoffs and in 95 when Koivu arrived, I was watching most games and never looked back.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
I have had the privilege of being a fan since the early 1950's and attended many games and watched all of the greatest players of their respective eras. What is interesting, is the moments and events that left an indelible impression in my memory: Marcel Bonin's retirement to become a police officer (the team presented him with a bullet proof vest); the feel and sound of the broken glass when walking on St. Catherine's Street the morning after the Richard riot; Larry Robinson's open ice hit on Anton Stastny (I could actually feel the force of the collision from my seat); Henri Richard's fight with Vic Hadfield (Richard won); Al Sims open ice hit on Yvan Cournoyer (I think that this hit started Cournoyer's physical decline); the 1971 Playoff run when the team beat Boston, Minnesota and then Chicago (the city was in a frenzy particularly after Henri Richard called Al McNeil the worst coach he had ever played for); Bobby Hull skating wide on Laperriere and beating Charlie Hodge with a slap shot that still hasn't stopped; Patrick Roy's first exhibition game against the Oilers (they killed us); Lafleur scoring on Meloche with the hardest shot I have ever seen; John Ferguson stalking and the attacking Ted Green (you could see the fear in Green's eyes) and the grace of Jean Beliveau ( I was in New York in the late 1970's attending a Rangers /Montreal game when suddenly the fans around me stood and started to applaud. Beliveau had walked into the building. I don't think New Yorkers would have been that polite if the President had entered.

That is all.

THAT IS ALL??? THAT IS AMAZING!! unfortunately most HABSFANS not realize the rich history they root for. my wife and i were able to go to a rocket richard presentation at a museum and then bought the rocket movie. plus you have to do the habs history tour at the belle centre.

it is so rich and the history when you understand burns into your soul. guys i am extremely humbled by all these storys. each one unique and personal yet all surrounded around our team..

HabstuckinTO

Oct 3, 2005
Toronto
Grew up in a small Northern ontario town with a good French-English mix. Went to the English school but a lot of my buddies went to the French school. So I started to become a Habs fan early on but my Dad (not a big hockey fan at all) really liked Frank Mahovlich - probably felt sorry for him for all the abuse that he took when he was with the Leafs. Problem was Mahovlich played for the Red Wings at the time. The planets aligned and he was traded to the Habs. All was right in the world.

Took grief from a lot of the yahoos in the schoolyard (Salming > Robinson was my favourite) but MAN did I love the '70's!

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE

May 10, 2012
I grew up in small-town Quebec, where everyone worshiped Maurice Richard and wore his #15 jersey. I succumbed to peer pressure. I still remember one instance where my mom bought me a Maple Leafs Reebok EDGE jersey...that was when the rest of my friends at school abandoned me......

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I grew up in small-town Quebec, where everyone worshiped Maurice Richard and wore his #15 jersey. I succumbed to peer pressure. I still remember one instance where my mom bought me a Maple Leafs Reebok EDGE jersey...that was when the rest of my friends at school abandoned me......

You're the kid from 'le chandail de hockey' ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad