how did you become a HABSFAN??

Pricef*

I was born a habs fan. When I was young I use to watch all the game with my father.

This. In 1971. When I was 4 my dad bought me a Beliveau Jersey and when they where raising the cup, Beliveau was holding it and my dad kept pointing to the back of my Jersey and then the TV and saying "You're looking at one of the greatest players of all time"

BTW, Born in Niagara Falls

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I remember that on Saturday nights all my uncles would come to my dads house to watch the game on TV, My dad was the only one in the family with a TV. I remember they drank a LOT of beer and chained smoked Export A cigs no filters, the game only started near the end of the first period ( all in black & white). The Rocket was a joy to watch.
Of course it was all great fun to see the Habs beat the Bruins again and again.

PricePkPatch*

To some its obvious--born in or around montreal and its a given. to others theres a story-- lets hear the story

heres mine--growing up in Toms River, NJ and i am 10-11 years old. my mom comes home with a white jersey. no clue who what where but she got it on sale and she gives it to me. thats my start. i would listen to old radio messing with the antenna to catch the games. mostly caught french brdcst but not understanding i would listen to crowd and announcer for excitment. [everything sounds exciting in french]. when i started to drive i would drive until i got reception and listen to games. i used to sneak out of class in college [night classes] to watch when they were in the cup.

when i met my 2nd wife and explained to her what i would do; she asked--hey wanna grab pizza and listen to the game in the car?? IT WAS LOVE :heart::heart::heart::heart: pittsburgh vs the habs..IN ENGLISH!!. ha ha..then for valentines day, yes valentines day she buys me a directtv dish when they were only ones with hockey package. then she asked a question i didnt have an answer for.. have you ever gone to montreal to see them play? well that was 1999 and every year since then we have gone to every home opener except for this one. we also go early in the new year to a rival game [boston, toronto, ottawa etc]. this year the only game for us will be philly on april 15th. 5 out of our 6 kids plus bf/gf all have gone with us and now 2 grandkids i am starting a 3rd generation

ALL BECAUSE MY LATE MOTHER BOUGHT A JERSEY THAT WAS FOR SALE-- thats my story how about yours???

Just wanna say; your post quality has really improved. Much more nice to read!

I was about your age when the Canadiens won the Stanley cup in 93. I didn't knew much about hockey back then; I just heard of the Canadien and that La Presse published funny cartoons of the team during the playoffs. To be honest, at first I was more interested in the cartoons than the team. But I learned the rules of the playoffs and I followed St-Patrick all the way to the Cup.. And I never looked back.

You can find the cartoons at this location http://www.pijet.com/portfolio/thumbnails.php?album=10. It's probably funnier if you knew the people on there, but they are still as funny. I think my favourite was this one:

Hockey_13_Pijet_zpsa52ef080.jpg

I just love the mix of humor and respect for history in this drawing. It shows just how great an accomplishment a Stanley Cup really is, and it also shows that we have reached that greatness many times in the past.

habsfantoronto

Ducks GM
Oct 5, 2006
I was born into it. My grandfather came home one night when my dad and uncle were kids. He had a Leafs jersey and a Habs jersey. The one that fit my dad was a Habs jersey. After crying about it, my grandfather had to go against everything he believed was right and said the Canadiens were a much better team (late 50s). From then on my dad was a Toronto kid cheering for the Canadiens.

I was brainwashed from birth. I experienced bullying and ignorance growing up and it only made me love the Habs more and more. Watching 2 cup victories at a young age helped to solidify my fanaticism.

Now I've brainwashed my wife. My future kid(s) will be next. Already working on my nieces and nephew.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
I was 6 and rooted for both the Leafs and Habs on Saturday nights. I liked them equally. Then they meet in the 1967 cup finals and I have to pick which team to root for. Don't know why but I chose the Habs. Six games later I am a very unhappy 6 year old.

Since, then things have been better. :)

PricePkPatch*

I was 6 and rooted for both the Leafs and Habs on Saturday nights. I liked them equally. Then they meet in the 1967 cup finals and I have to pick which team to root for. Don't know why but I chose the Habs. Six games later I am a very unhappy 6 year old.

Since, then things have been better. :)

One of the best decision of your life, don't you think? :naughty:

Serious HABit

Jul 16, 2009
Forum Ghosts
Bleu-Blanc-Rouge blood.

Mom's an MTLer dad is from third-world country and adopted the habs when he moved here in 70'.

Older brothers got me into it from a young age and I started seriously following in 95' (at 5-6 years old). Damphousse era and then traded away to unveil the Koivu era.

Awww yeah.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Nice story OP. I was basically born one, my father is a Habs fan and I grew up watching the games with him. Rooted for the Habs for as long as I can remember. But what made my decision permanent would be Roy. I started playing hockey in 92/93 when I was 7 and getting to stay up late and watch the Habs win the cup that year with Roy's dominance leading the way, there was no turning back for me. Although his trade was very hard for me, I always cheer for the crest on the front, regardless of the name on the back.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
Grandfather was a Hab, father is a Hab, older brother is a Hab, I became a Hab obviously. When it starts that young, you just fall in love and once you get older you're hooked, there's not any choice anymore ;).

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Born into it. But grew up all over Canada so they were one of the only constants in my life, no matter where we lived I could see them in French every Saturday.

Still haven't been to Montreal, pretty much everywhere else in Canada. There's my dirty secret.

When it starts that young, you just fall in love and once you get older you're hooked, there's not any choice anymore ;).

So true, I've tried to get over it and can't.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
It's funny how little stuff like that can actually impact your life. For example, you might plan a trip around going to a city to watch the Habs play.

It is indeed funny how something like this can impact your life. As for the Habs road trip, I am planning on doing that next year when they visit California. A bit better weather than Montreal in Feb/March I would gather :).

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I've been an Habs fan since the 80's. Funny thing is that no ones in my family likes hockey. I just started to watch the games when I was young. Only the first period at first since I was too young to watch the full game. I was a big Patrick Roy fan.

I remember in 93 when they won the cup. I was in 6th grade and about 12 years old. My mom let me watch the full game. As soon that they lifted the cup I went into her room and woke her up screaming " They won the cup, They won the cup". I remember her saying. That's fine... now go to sleep. lol

Over the years I've watched some games with my father but like I said he's never been a fan. So it was kinda rare but one funny thing about my father is that even if he wasn't a hockey fan. Everytime Benoit Brunet had a shot on net. He always screamed at the TV: "Why is he always shooting on the damn goalie". He hated him so much. I used to makes fun of him when Brunet scored goals.

Still a fan and will be until the day I die. Can't wait to have kids so maybe I'll translate my passion to them :)

LeHaboholique

Respek is earn, not give to!
Jul 25, 2012
Same
I grew up without my dad around so as a kid hockey wasn't really a factor in my life. at the age of 7 I got a copy of NHL 99 as a gift from a friend. (At that point NHL 02 was out) Out of curiosity I decided to try it out. looking through the teams I saw Montreal, coming from a heavily french family I knew what Montreal was. I chose to try them out, I see the name "Saku Koivu" Ouuuu Captain that's cool. Later that day I hop on google and do a search for Koivu, I found out he had cancer and that really hit me hard because at that time my grandmother was at the end of the line due to Cancer. From that point on I couldn't get enough of Koivu everything he did was so cool and because of that I started watching them. Ever since the age of 7 ive been a huge Canadiens fan

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
[QUOTE=dreamingofdrouin;62046681]I've just gotten sooooooooooo much more serious for me since then,......every year they settle deeper into my veins....they just have such a hold on my personality and dictate what kind of person i am....when their losing i just feel like im dying...when their winning....i am god.[/QUOTE]

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

that is soooo true. my wife and i are even talking tattoos.. ha ha 51/52 respectfully. but it just keeps getting deeper in our blood. AND WHEN WE WIN THE CUP AGAIN [HER FIRST AS A HABSFAN] I AM SURE THERE WILL BE TEARS!!!

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Grew up in Northern NJ very close to both the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders. Always liked hockey and played it, but never really liked any of those teams and couldn't get into it. My father always got tickets to games from work and I'd just go and enjoy the hockey. Many years ago he got us tickets for the Canadiens at Devils. It was mostly Canadiens fans in the crowd and I fell in love with the experience immediately. That night I knew I'd be a Habs fan for the rest of my life.

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011
Family in Montreal...Live in Norway. My grandparents bought me a Habs jersey and sent it to me so i would wear it for my first hockey practise when i was 5 yrs old. Got posters etc everytime i visited. Got a Theodore jersey with all the signatures for my Bar Mitzva, thats when i really got interested.

It was hard watching games etc, since in norway all the games are in the middle of the night...so as a 13 year old, i wasnt able to catch any games. Now i havent missed a game since 2009-2010 season

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Like so many others, it was a proud tradition based down at birth from my father but I think what cemented it was a running joke with my family.

I was born pre-Ottawa Senators when every one was more or less a Leafs or Habs fan in the city (so a lot like it is today). My brother, sister and I were all born on days where the Habs played. We joke that I'm the favorite because not only did they win when I was born (they didn't for my siblings) but I also was born with enough time for my dad to catch the game via radio in a hospital room... also unlike my siblings.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Many years ago he got us tickets for the Canadiens at Devils. It was mostly Canadiens fans in the crowd and I fell in love with the experience immediately. That night I knew I'd be a Habs fan for the rest of my life.

still holds true.. do not know how many times ive driven to brendan byrne then the rock and its always at least 50-50 crowd.. been few times 70-30 habs.. but devil fans tend to get angry with us all there.. o well..

strutsboa

Jan 1, 2009
I've always been a huge hockey fan, but for some reason I didn't have any favorite team in the NHL as a kid.

This wouldn't change until I was 18 years old and I won a fantasy hockey league against 55 000 teams back home in Sweden, where the prize was a trip to Montreal/Ottawa to watch Ottawa-Montreal (Scotiabank) and Montreal-Buffalo (Bell Centre). Going into the trip I didn't prefer any of the teams and in the prize I got to meet Alfredsson after the first game, where Ottawa beat Montreal 5-2. So honestly everything was made for me to be a Sens fan (yikes).

However, the total domination from the Habs fans in the Scotiabank (despite the clear loss), made me like Montreal. So for the next game I bought a Montreal jersey to feel at home in Bell Centre.

The game against the Sabres was simply amazing. It was the 79th game of the season and Montreal was fighting for the 8th seed. The Bell Centre was absolutely rocking and Montreal won with 4-3. My grandmother was from Finland and during my childhood she offered me $3 every time Sweden met Finland and I called her and said "I want Finland to win, Koivu is the best!".

So, when Saku Koivu scored a beautiful goal to make it 4-2 in the 3rd period and the stands were screaming "SAAAAAAAAAAKU", "SAAAAAAAAKU", "SAAAAAAAAAAKU", I knew Montreal was the team for me.

Ever since that game back in 07 I have watch pretty much every game (including pre-season), despite the fact that it's in the middle of the night with early school/work in the morning after. And my brother is also as sold for the Habs as I am.

Thank you to everyone who was at the games against Ottawa and Buffalo and helped me find the right team to support, since that day I have never ever doubted that Canadiens was the team for me.

Cheers! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad