how did you become a HABSFAN??

Gomez91

Fala!!
Nov 27, 2011
Where I want
My Dad was a die hard hockey fan went to watch Detroit at the old olympia loved the Leafs because of Frank Mahovlich when Frank went to the habs he was a habs fan. Remember him taking us to watch preseason games at the old London Gardens Toronto vs Buffalo. Punch Imlach was sitting 6 rows from us. My dad looked up and cursed him I asked who that was my Dad said "It that ahole Punch Imlach who traded a 50 goal scorer". So like any good son would do I went up to him asked "are you Punch Imlach" replied "yes want my autograph" I said "yes and are you the ahole that Frank Mahovlich to Montreal man are you Dumb" Everyone around him laughed he signed a piece of paper and I went a told my Dad what I said......He still laughs about to this day if I remind him.

Then I will never forget the memory of the Flower going toward the net goal of course

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Growing up as a young kid with the late 70's team...how the heck do you not become a Habs fan.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Patrick Roy was my favorite player, and my Habs fandom was already set for life by the time he was traded to Colorado.

Interesting fact I found out only a couple of years ago, Roy made his NHL debut the very day I was born (2/23/85), and I didn't even know this until relatively recently. My mind was blown.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I was born into a Hab fanatical family. I grew up in the 70s and the Habs were the gold standard. My dad has pictures of me sitting on his knee watching games (I was 18 months old). He is 70 years old now and we still talk hockey every week and he still recalls the glorious Habs players, it gives me goosebumps as I type, his favourites were Peter Mahovlich, Yvan Cournoyer, John Ferguson, Dick Duff, Jacques Lemaire, Yvon Lambert, just to name a few. He still talks about that era of the Habs with such passion in his voice but is far less involved today. He tells me that there are too many teams and he dislikes the way players change teams so often:). In my childhood, the Habs were a religion to my family and I learned to love them deeply. I cried as a kid when the stastny's eliminated the Habs, so many great and brutal games with the Nordiques, I hope they come back. I am a Hab fan and would wish nothing different.:yo:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
My family moved to Montreal from England when I was around ten years old and on the flight over, I contracted some nasty stomach bug and spent my first week in Canada sick in bed. When i finally got up, I went down into this thing called a basement, which was new to me, and there was this guy in red beating this guy in black, yellow and white in a fist fight... on ice... and I thought it was a movie. It was Chris Nilan and this game called hockey! Have been a fan since that day.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
My family moved to Montreal from England when I was around ten years old and on the flight over, I contracted some nasty stomach bug and spent my first week in Canada sick in bed. When i finally got up, I went down into this thing called a basement, which was new to me, and there was this guy in red beating this guy in black, yellow and white in a fist fight... on ice... and I thought it was a movie. It was Chris Nilan and this game called hockey! Have been a fan since that day.

aaahhhhh knuckles!!

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
It was the mid-70's. I was a little kid. The Flyers were back-to-back champions. Their goon style was annoying. As was their captain from that era - Bobby Clarke.

One of my best friends cheered for them. I literally supported every opponent, of the Flyers, during the 1976 playoffs. Finally, Montreal smacked Philadelphia in the finals.

A (Ontario) Habs fan was born. Wise decision, eh? :yo:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I was born on May 14, 1977. Roughly five/six years later (during my earliest minor hockey days), from an NHL broadcast I believe, I learned the significance of that date, and the rest was history. Apparently I had a "favourite" Habs jersey as a toddler (presumably I liked the colours, and presumably it was a gift from someone), but if there was a specific 'ah-ha!' moment I could point to, this was it.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
when did i become a habs fan?

well if I remember right, I was trekking up a steep hill 4 days north of the great river. Snow was knee deep and I needed to bring back to my lodge some deer meat. Winter was cold that year but we had gathered enough during the summer to make it through the winter. " Les Francais " had not done so well and they were starting to suffer again. We in our hunting party had promised to bring some meat back for " Les Francais "
Two deer were killed and we made out way back to " the big river"
Two Feathers and me took a killed deer to the Francais and they shared a barrel of something they called "Une petit Molson" After a few I needed to relieve myself so I went outside and right there in the snow I relieved myself, low and behold, I had drawn a LOGO. It looked like a big "C "and right in the middle a big " H ". I called for my friend and he went outside to join me. He busted out laughing at the LOGO. I grabbed a branch from a tree and hit him over the head with it. the Branch sort of bent in half close to the end. I stood there for a second and shouted out " wait, I have a great Idea for a game " The rest is history.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
Raised by a Habs fan (my father), we went to the 93 parade when i was 3 years old, although I don`t remember it. I have a few photos though, very fond of them. My father had me on skates with a habs jersey the next winter, and never stopped playing since and I still wear my Habs jerseys when I hit the outdoor rinks. Growing up I always dreamed of playing wing on a line with the great Saku. Although the late 90s and 2000s were not good years for the Canadiens, I was always fond of players like Petrov, Zubrus, Zednik, Poulin, Quintal, Bouillon, Gilmore. Several experiences reinforced my feelings for the Habs over the years. Saku`s battle with cancer and comeback, attending playoff games in the Garden in 2007-2008 with my father because it was easier to get tickets, post-victory over the Caps and Penguins in 2009-2010 on St Catherines.

Extremely proud habs fan, no doubt in my mind that I will get the logo tattooed on my chest over my heart.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
My father was a Blackhawks fan. My grand father was a Leafs fan.

My oldest brother was a Red Wings fan and my other brother was a Bruins fan.

I went a different direction. Patrick Roy helped me along with my decision (plus the Stanley Cup in 86 which was a nice surpise). The other main reason is that Radio Canada used to diffuse the Habs games, and I could sneak my Walkman into bed and listen to them when I was sent to sleep.

Wow, I'd hate to be in your house when all 5 teams are playing the same night :laugh:

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
I was born on May 14, 1977. Roughly five/six years later (during my earliest minor hockey days), from an NHL broadcast I believe, I learned the significance of that date, and the rest was history. Apparently I had a "favourite" Habs jersey as a toddler (presumably I liked the colours, and presumably it was a gift from someone), but if there was a specific 'ah-ha!' moment I could point to, this was it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hiQ90jTNw

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Nobody in my immediate family followed sports.

On saturday nights I would see my cousins and they were glued to the Habs game on HNIC.

I even remember how my cousins at the time thought Don Cherry was so cool.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
My parents were Habs fans and I started following the team in 1991-92 and was just hitting the height of fanatical obsession in 1992-93 when they were OK during the season (people were talking about trading Roy!) before catching fire in the playoffs.

I remember feeling the momentum of that first series against Quebec, then Buffalo beat Boston and NYI beat Pittsburgh so it was smooth, joyous sailing all the way to the Cup! The 10 OT wins, Roy, Muller, Leclair, Damphousse...that was a great team.

So that cemented it for me...and now I just can't help myself. It finally feels like we've got a team that could truly be a contender for years to come...maybe a 25th banner will bring in a new set of die-hard Habs fans from Toronto.

Go Habs Go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->