how did you become a HABSFAN??

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Born in Ontario but french so we would watch Habs on Saturday nights. The whole family is Habs except the older brother that went to the Sens . Now I live in Longueuil and a season tickets holder!!!!! Moving to Montreal was the best choice ever!!

theschwab13

Jul 2, 2012
Grew up with a family of Leaf fans, but me wanting to be different, said I loved the Habs to piss them off :laugh::laugh::laugh: But from age 3 my room has been all Habs, going to be that way for a lonnnnnnng time. GO HABS GO

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I was born and raised in Vermont, the general consensus to root for either the Bruins or the Canadiens. Lucky for me my great grandfather had French Canadien roots. So we rooted for the french team. I watched every game with my dad since I was a little kid, eventually got a jersey. Really dodged a bullet by not being a Bruin fan

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I am probably a fan of the team by accident. My first hockey memory is me watching Stéphane Fiset with the Nordiques when i was 5 or 6 years old. If the Nordiques had'nt move i would probably be a Nordiques fan. I start being a fan of the Habs and Koivu after the Nordiques moved to Colorado. When i was young, i was also a big fan of Lemieux, Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne and Kariya.

If Quebec city get another team i would be torn appart and i would have mix-up feelings. I would be thrill to have NHL hockey close to my home and would probably became a fan of the new team, but at the same time, i feel that the Habs are really close to go in the Stanley cup finals and they have a bright future.

The best case scenario for me is the Habs winning the Stanley Cup this year and Quebec city getting back a team for next year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pretty much the regular story. I was born in Montreal and many of my family members are Habs fans so I grew up watching them. When we moved to Ottawa I stuck with the Canadiens and my mom, who doesn't really care, is more of a Sens fan now, but whatever. It's mostly a Habs family that I live in!

What he said.

dreamingofdrouin*

[QUOTE=dreamingofdrouin;62046681]I've just gotten sooooooooooo much more serious for me since then,......every year they settle deeper into my veins....they just have such a hold on my personality and dictate what kind of person i am....when their losing i just feel like im dying...when their winning....i am god.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

that is soooo true. my wife and i are even talking tattoos.. ha ha 51/52 respectfully. but it just keeps getting deeper in our blood. AND WHEN WE WIN THE CUP AGAIN [HER FIRST AS A HABSFAN] I AM SURE THERE WILL BE TEARS!!![/QUOTE]

I think there will be more than a handful of people who will have that reaction...including myself. The habs are more than just hockey team to me and I'm sure every habs fan will tell you that for a number of different reasons. For me they were a distraction..an outlet, a source of happiness and I hold them so dear because for a long stretch of time they were the only source....I had a very difficult time in youth, alot of friends who ended up being turncoats and barely an identity at all...I didn't really mean anything to anyone and I was treated as such. The loathing that I had for that place and some of those people....it can't be quantified....and the only glimmer of hope when I got up every morning to go through the same **** over and over again was knowing that habs game would be waiting when I got back.

The toll it took on my life and the effects it had on the person I've been molded into are irreversible and I'm always going to feel that resentment and that sickness of knowing that it was not myself, but others that chose the path my life took.....there's nothing I myself, can do about it anymore...but the habs.....if they can succeed...if they can just get back.....if they can be reborn into what they once were and break out of the shell of hopelessness that has haunted them for as long as I am old...well then maybe I can too.
Thats what the habs mean to me. Thats why i'm a fan.

Moroccan

Mar 16, 2013
HABS World
My story is short and sweet:
Before 2006 I couldn't care less about hockey or any other North American sport. In 2006 I came to Canada and started betting :D So I had to learn about the game and learn about the history of hockey and the hockey teams. Hooked for life :handclap:
I consider myself the biggest Moroccan Habs fan alive :p:

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Have no real special story. I was born on a cold February 27 afternoon in Montreal and haven't moved from the province since.

Pretty much the reason why I became a Habs fan.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Was initially a Habs fan. Mostly due to Carbo, Roy and that entire team from the early 90's. Then, I became an Avs fan, mainly for Roy and hate the Habs management. Though it didn't last too long (2 seasons), I just loved Koivu and the Habs too much to really be angry for ever. The change in management helped when it happened.

Apr 28, 2010
Year 2004.
Montreal vs Boston 1st Round
Habs made a comeback, won games 5-6-7 and eliminated the Bruins after trailing 1-3.

Thank you, Richard Zednik!

But really, it was Saku Koivu and Jose Theodore who made me a Habs fan.

I was bummed with the Tampa Bay sweep though and the freaking lockout! :shakehead

jsol

Jun 15, 2007
Montreal
Born in 1970 to a Hab fan in northern Saskatchewan, Dad named me Jean after mister Beliveau. Was a decent hab fan myself but could not watch many games except for occasional Saturday nights out west, and playoff games of course. I have not missed a game since I moved to Montreal in July 2000, thanks to RDS and a renewed passion once I saw my first Hab game live.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
born 1964. 1970 started watching, and just always loved the CH. not at anytime is there another team nor a desire to change.

collected hockey cards as a kid, and worked hard every year to get the complete CH team

wear the CH on the chest, and the 76-79 habs rocked the world, to watch them as a kid , was gold.

live on the the prairies, and cheered loud enough for the ones on St. Cath ST to hear me.

the Forum rocked, from the trumpet dude in the crowd to the standing O's when the boys won the cup. Now my boy has followed the same line.........

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I think I was about 9 or 10 when I read an anecdote about how the sewage system in Montreal would experience extreme loads between the periods for the Canadiens playoff games only to drop down to unusually low levels once the game resumed. That made me aware just how crazy Montreal is about its hockey team and caught my interest. Once I started to learn more about the team and its great history I was hooked.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Preseason game at the Forum. Stephane Richer got 4 goals that night. At least that's my memory of it as a young kid.

You cant go to the Forum, with the habs rocking the building and comes out of it anyone else than as an habs fan.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
wow some terrific stories in here. Makes me think, that while I live 10 blocks from the Bell Center, many of you are the true hardcore fans - tuning in from places that don't imbibe you with Habs 24/7 - which we get in montreal. hats off to all of you. you are out there in the nether-regions upholding the tradition
:handclap:

like many of the montreal posters. i was born into it. Early memories are the 79-80 cup...sent to bed during game 7 and losing 4-3 to Boston. lol
-watching habs with my late dad - blowing out the rags for that cup
-86 st patrick cup
-93 crazy OT run AND incredible parade on sherbrooke street
etc...

Rscorpio

Epic Meal Time!
Feb 9, 2004
Santiago, Chile
Born in Chile bu raised in Montreal ...I grew up watching the Canadiens with my father (RIP old man...)

Now back in Chile.. but still watching the game (habs)... and maybe one day I will watch the Habs with my son:D

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
As a soviet kid, in 1976, saw them play my favorite (at the time) team - Red Army. Fell in love with style and attitude, unseen in USSR. 10 years later, met a girl from Montreal. Fell in love. Went to my first game in 1990. :pickle:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
They were a pretty solid team to go with when I started watching hockey in the '70s. No fancy or moving stories, I just jumped on the winning bandwagon, basically. :)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
My parents aren't from montreal(Italy) and neither are die hard sports fans. In fact my mom is annoyed when we use the big screen for hockey. lol My dad watches and hears some news every now and then but is very casual fan at best.

When I was young it was habs everywhere. Born in 87 after a win and when I was young with 93 cup. All was good. Thing is, by the time I became old enough to remember I started liking the avalanche because they were a powerhouse and Roy was on the team. I eventually settled back into my roots as a montrealer.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
My dad was a huge Guy Lafleur fan, and adopted the habs as his team when he moved to Vancouver from India. To this day, he still watches them intensely, and I just followed him.

I also think the habs were/are special to him, as a minority in a new country. You can draw some parallels between him coming over to a new country as a minority, and what quebec is to canada.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
By being taken to a game in my youth and seeing the Flying Frenchmen when they really were that. Poor Rangers!

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
My story is very atypical. I am Asian-American, and grew up in Maryland. So, I was a Capitals fan from the start. Everything pointed to me being a Caps fan for life. I would listen to Sportalk 980 and Steve Kolbe in middle school and follow the Caps team that had Bondra, Oates, Johansson, Gonchar, etc. I was not around for that Cup run, so I never saw Dale Hunter play. My earliest recollections was watching games when Juneau was still a Cap. Then, I just didn't bother anymore maybe in 2003. Whatever the case, I didn't know about the "blowup" and drafting of Ovechkin. I wouldn't follow hockey at all of 5-6 years.

So, when I got back into hockey, it was for the second half of the Caps President's Trophy run. Would catch every stream, at the expense of sleep and my grades. Then to infamous playoff series happened, and they day after was one of great fury. Of course, I supported the Habs against Pittsburgh because every Caps fan really hates Pittsburgh, then I didn't bother following.

The game that sealed my desertion and betrayal of the Crapitals was the game against Pittsburgh the next season. I was watching a Caps stream, but maybe they were "soff" or losing and I switched over
to the Habs stream against Pittsburgh. They came back and won!!! That sealed the deal. I'm jumping ship and going to the Habs. I had to suffer the soff Jacques Martin, but now, I think I'm in a good place.
Ironically, I don't hate Pittsburgh anymore. Or at least, they're just another team. I now absolutely had the Capitals, and trolled their fans on Yahoo! boards. My only infractions on here were from me trolling Caps fans, but I've chilled out now.

Also, being the brainiac I am, I realize that this transformation from Caps fan to Habs fan is a personal anedocte of "self-expansion" and its opposite.

Sam Pollock played a big role, as a Washington fan, I've had to suffer through mediocre teams fielded by crappy management(Redskins 2008 and forward, but the Redskins never could field a team that could win it all for an entire decade). Reading about Pollock's trade that eventually nabbed him Lafleur was simply great, along with other principles he follow, such as don't always mortgage away the future, a critical rule to follow if you want to have any hope of contending for a championship.

And I must give a little love to Lapierre. He's got an awesome last name. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad