how did you become a HABSFAN??

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
To some its obvious--born in or around montreal and its a given. to others theres a story-- lets hear the story

heres mine--growing up in Toms River, NJ and i am 10-11 years old. my mom comes home with a white jersey. no clue who what where but she got it on sale and she gave it to me. that is my start. i would listen to an old radio, messing with the antenna to catch the games. mostly caught french brdcst but not understanding i would listen to crowd and announcer for excitment. [everything sounds exciting in french]. when i started to drive i would drive until i got reception and listen to games. i used to sneak out of class in college [night classes] to watch when they were in the cup.

when i met my 2nd wife and explained to her what i would do; she asked--hey wanna grab pizza and listen to the game in the car?? IT WAS LOVE :heart::heart::heart::heart: pittsburgh vs the habs..IN ENGLISH!!. ha ha..then for valentines day, yes valentines day she buys me a directtv dish when they were only ones with the hockey package. then she asked a question i didnt have an answer for.. have you ever gone to montreal to see them play? well that was 1999 and every year since then we have gone to every home opener except for this one. we also go early in the new year to a rival game [boston, toronto, ottawa etc]. this year the only game for us will be philly on april 15th. 5 out of our 6 kids plus bf/gf all have gone with us and now with 2 grandkids i am starting a 3rd generation

ALL BECAUSE MY LATE MOTHER BOUGHT A JERSEY THAT WAS FOR SALE-- thats my story how about yours???

Last edited:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
That's awesome and it looks like you have a very special lady :handclap:

As for me well Living in Montreal well you have a choice but it's so easy to fall in love with the excitement and I started understand hockey in 86 and sure enough they won the Cup. Hooked ever since

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Born and raised. In Hamilton of all places. I love my family, they saved me from a life of disappointment (leafs) and life of delusion (sens, leafs). Entire family are Hab fans, but since the Sens were added my Ottawa cousins have jumped ship :shakehead:. I also have ONE Bruins fan cousin:rant:.

I remember getting made fun of in school for saying Montreal would come back and beat the Bruins in 2002. Good times.

I'm actually legitimitely worried that if/when I have kids they could not be Hab fans. I could either push it on them too much or have Leaf brainwashing affect their cognitive development :laugh:. I think as long as they aren't Bruin, Leaf, Flyers, or Sens fans I'll be content.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
That's awesome and it looks like you have a very special lady :handclap:as far as rosemary she scares me with her passion. she almost got me into a fight here in jersey when a guy started bad mouthing canadien fans--i detailed that in the nj gdt

As for me well Living in Montreal well you have a choice but it's so easy to fall in love with the excitement
and I started understand hockey in 86 and sure enough they won the Cup. Hooked ever since

that is so true. it is electric when its game day AND WHEN THE HABS ARE IN PLAYOFF MODE ITS CRAZY

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Family moved to Mtl when I was 4 from NY (1969). Habs were playing the Rangers in some game. I said "Go Rangers", my older brothers were like "We live in Montreal now, cheer for the Canadiens!" Made sense to me and haven't looked back though haven't lived in Mtl since 91. So yes, I did bandwagon jump - once.

Still have sort of a soft spot for the Rangers but only when not playing the Habs though my real #2 team (not even close to the Habs) is the Hawks and have been since I was a kid. Just reinforced now that I live in Chicago. What I don't get is people who change favorite teams - I know someone who grew up in Toronto but has moved around the US and just adopts the local team as his favorite. So now he's a Hawks fan after being a Stars fan when he lived in Dallas. That is the epitome of lame.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Born and raised. In Hamilton of all places. I love my family, they saved me from a life of disappointment (leafs) and life of delusion (sens, leafs). Entire family are Hab fans, but since the Sens were added my Ottawa cousins have jumped ship :shakehead:. I also have ONE Bruins fan cousin:rant:.

I remember getting made fun of in school for saying Montreal would come back and beat the Bruins in 2002. Good times.

I'm actually legitimitely worried that if/when I have kids they could not be Hab fans. I could either push it on them too much or have Leaf brainwashing affect their cognitive development :laugh:. I think as long as they aren't Bruin, Leaf, Flyers, or Sens fans I'll be content.

as i said when its game day my granddaughter [2 years old] is already cheering. i give her our habs teddy bear to hold.. its habs fan or out of the will...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
My father was a Blackhawks fan. My grand father was a Leafs fan.

My oldest brother was a Red Wings fan and my other brother was a Bruins fan.

I went a different direction. Patrick Roy helped me along with my decision (plus the Stanley Cup in 86 which was a nice surpise). The other main reason is that Radio Canada used to diffuse the Habs games, and I could sneak my Walkman into bed and listen to them when I was sent to sleep.

LarsEller

Jul 31, 2011
Copenhagen
I used to watch a lot of NHL games without being a fan of a certain team. When Mtl acquired Eller I started to watch all their games to mainly follow him. Slowly but surely I became a fan of the team with or without Eller

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
My parents were Habs fans, my uncle was a Bruins fan.

Things often got heated during Bs/Habs games, to say the least.

For 25 years, a TV has been turned on to play a game of the Habs. Never changed, never will. One night, while with the Mrs. - this is before we were married, at the start of our relationship - I asked her if she wanted to go out on the night and take a walk in the park. You know, a little romance and whatnot. She looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "There's a game on. Can we stay home and watch that instead?"

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Dad was born and raised in Montreal, most of my family is from there, one day I figured I'd give hockey a try and started watching during the 2009 playoffs. (what a mess that was :shakehead)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My dad had season tickets at the Forum and took me to my first game when I was 6 years old. I think it was against the Bruins and we won.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Born and raised a HABS fan my entire family are HABS fans. My grandparents moved to MTL from England and then to London from there. The HABS have been in our blood since they got to Canada. My 4 kids are all now HABS fans and members of the Canadiens fan club. I am raising them all to know what an elite hockey team is all about and constantly give them history lessons about our great franchise.

Last edited:

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
Born and raised in calgary, my brother who is a lot older than me was a big habs fan. He had me in habs sweaters right away. Then, my first REAL memory of hockey was watching the 93 playoffs with him. I was 6 years old. Still remember Roy lifting the cup!

dreamingofdrouin*

I feel like as a canadian..there's really only 2 directions u go in....leafs or habs....my dad is a leafs fan and was pulling me down that path as a child...used to fall asleep by the first period of HNIC on channel 12 and ofcoarse it was always leafs games...even had a leafs jersey for hockey practice, but when I really started to watch hockey...i dont know how it happened but i was just drawn to the habs...no idea what it was that did it...i just seen them on the french channel and instantly I thought about hockey differently...i remember being a fan of them when they were put out by the lightning...i know that i must have seen them or heard of them beating the bruins before that but i just can;t grasp that memory for some reason...i see clips on youtube and it all looks familiar but i dont know there's some gaps there....michael ryder's OT winner in game 2 against carolina in 2006 was one of the first exciting things things i remember, and the fluke goal in game 6 to end it was my first real heartbreak. I've just gotten sooooooooooo much more serious for me since then,......every year they settle deeper into my veins....they just have such a hold on my personality and dictate what kind of person i am....when their losing i just feel like im dying...when their winning....i am god.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
I was also born a habs fan. My parents tought me to spit at and curse the Leafs logo when i was very young,. At 18 years of age i was made to give some blood and write my undying fandom to the Habs in blood. Then when i got married it had to be to a Habs fangirl or i would be disowned, and my first son had to be named after a great star of the Habs. I also have to be buried in a red white and blue casket with the Habs logo on it...

( i once shook Guy Lafleur;s hand and havent washed that hand since then. That was before my puberty)

;)

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I became a Habs fan immediately after my family moved from Ghana to Montreal when I was ten years old. At 12 years old, my family moved to the Greater Toronto Area, and despite being the only Habs fan in my family and being unable to watch the vast majority of Canadiens games until about five years ago when I was able to watch online streams/pay for RDS, I've always been a huge Habs fan. :yo:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Only real fan in the family, I grew an interest watching them from times to times on television. Started watching them in the 1998 - 1999 season and I'm enjoying for the first time a team that looks to have a bright future (knocking wood).

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Grew up in Montreal, and like a lot of people on here, was 9 (I'm certain that my age cohort is very well-represented on this board based on posts I've noticed) when we won the Cup in '93. My childhood was basically spoiled in terms of everyone having a Patrick Roy jersey, Habs Stanley Cup hat, jacket, mini stick, etc. Everything revolved around the Habs early on growing up since the Cup win bought us a lot of credit. It was only as I got older and as we went into the black hole that I realized what I had taken for granted. That and as you get older, you tend to understand things from a different perspective. So I went from a fan who reveled in the Habs' positive presence in society to a discerning adolescent (having lived through the impossible - Roy being traded) and then as you reach adulthood, it's funny, fandom takes on a whole different feel, particularly with this long drought.

Having moved to Ontario for undergrad and grad school (10 years), you are exposed to these freaks of nature (i.e. Leaf fans) and you understand that much more how great the Habs as an organization are historically and just in terms of the aura of excellence that is plainly lacking in the sad, pathetic masquerade that leaf fandom is. The Boston series (we've had so many of them starting in '02...the first ones with a better result) had a galvanizing effect on how much I care about this team and I think it's fair to say, we are all pretty obsessed, and that's ok. Best team to be a part of, because as Habs fans, it goes deeper than just sports, it's an identity.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Pretty much the regular story. I was born in Montreal and many of my family members are Habs fans so I grew up watching them. When we moved to Ottawa I stuck with the Canadiens and my mom, who doesn't really care, is more of a Sens fan now, but whatever. It's mostly a Habs family that I live in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad