How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Coaches would kill for the talent on this roster and yet we’re one of the most boring teams to watch.

Playing two shooters with Matthews is also the height of stupidity.

I hope we don’t blow our brains out at the deadline because this team isn’t winning anything with this system. Players don’t believe in this coach and it’s showing.

Reactions: Moonman and dsred

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
A reporter's gotta ask Babcock if Matthews is playing through an injury in hopes of opening the coach's eyes. While the guy's a great talent, Babcock still needs to call him out / discipline him with minutes. From the start of his career, he's always been part of the first PP unit and he's never needed to be coached up but this is the right time. You can't even say he's been gifted minutes because his play's been THAT good. This is the perfect time to reward a guy like Nylander, for instance...

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Kyle Dubas first real big test will be this summer.

Does he have the stones to replace an average coach who is too stubborn to change a system he's had since the 90s?

I’m sure Dubas would prefer his own guy, but realistically this is above Dubas. He doesn’t have the power to fire Babcock yet.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I’m sure Dubas would prefer his own guy, but realistically this is above Dubas. He doesn’t have the power to fire Babcock yet.

I agree but our current set up doesn't really make sense.

We have a GM who's built probably the most skilled (on paper?) team in the NHL and a coach who loves to play grinders and try to win 2-1 games instead of letting skill players run and gun. Doesn't mesh up and something has to give eventually...

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Babcock's stubbornness can work for him at times, but this isn't the NHL of ten years ago. Yes, you need a system for the players to dig into, but the players also have to buy-in and the system has to take advantage of the skill set. I think Babcock still thinks he's coaching the Detroit Red Wings, and that's what I kind of have issue with - Matthews and Kadri can be good two way players, but you have to give them leeway and wingers that fit what they do. Babcock seems to bend over backwards for Tavares though...

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Began to lose confidence when Hyman was tattooed to Matthews butt all season long. Then again this season with JT and replacing his spot with Brown. These quirks are costing us games.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I agree but our current set up doesn't really make sense.

We have a GM who's built probably the most skilled (on paper?) team in the NHL and a coach who loves to play grinders and try to win 2-1 games instead of letting skill players run and gun. Doesn't mesh up and something has to give eventually...

Yeah I agree, I’m just saying from a realistic standpoint I don’t see Shanahan pulling the trigger on Babcock this soon. If it were up to me he would be gone after this season and we hand the keys to Quenneville.

Babs isn’t the guy for this group and our window won’t be open forever, we can’t piss away opportunities waiting for that stubborn mule to figure things out.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Began to lose confidence when Hyman was tattooed to Matthews butt all season long. Then again this season with JT and replacing his spot with Brown. These quirks are costing us games.
The fact that Babcock legitimately thinks Hyman is a top 6 forward just goes to show that he's not the coach he thinks he is.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wow... I wouldn't go that far just yet lol. Still has 4 and a half years left on his deal.
Dubas will give him a couple of more years and reassess. If Babs needs an allstar team just to win a round then its clear this team needs another coach.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dubas will give him a couple of more years and reassess. If Babs needs an allstar team just to win a round then its clear this team needs another coach.
we will see if Dubas is still around in a couple years :) Shanny hired both of them

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Coaches would kill for the talent on this roster and yet we’re one of the most boring teams to watch.

Playing two shooters with Matthews is also the height of stupidity.

I hope we don’t blow our brains out at the deadline because this team isn’t winning anything with this system. Players don’t believe in this coach and it’s showing.
Couldn't agree more!

Reactions: WilliamNylander

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
The fact that Babcock legitimately thinks Hyman is a top 6 forward just goes to show that he's not the coach he thinks he is.
Actually players of Hyman's ilk are what we need more of. If Hyman doesn't go to the corners ,who will? Not Matty or Willie. Leo was great at it too but he got old on us. The team is simply too soft. When they play fast they are very good but that catalyst isn't always present. In fact it is missing far too many nights.

Reactions: pucksakes666

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Actually players of Hyman's ilk are what we need more of. If Hyman doesn't go to the corners ,who will? Not Matty or Willie. Leo was great at it too but he got old on us. The team is simply too soft. When they play fast they are very good but that catalyst isn't always present. In fact it is missing far too many nights.
We need more skilled versions of Hyman on the first two lines. I agree we need to be harder to play against, but Hyman just doesn't have the offensive ability to be in the top six. Kapanen I think has the potential to be a top 6 guy, but he's not there yet, and a guy like Johnsson has some talent and the drive, but is limited physically.

HalfLife

Jan 29, 2019
Toronto
Babcock's stubbornness can work for him at times, but this isn't the NHL of ten years ago. Yes, you need a system for the players to dig into, but the players also have to buy-in and the system has to take advantage of the skill set. I think Babcock still thinks he's coaching the Detroit Red Wings, and that's what I kind of have issue with - Matthews and Kadri can be good two way players, but you have to give them leeway and wingers that fit what they do. Babcock seems to bend over backwards for Tavares though...

Tavares is a good pro. Probably one of the best pros ever in Babcock's eyes.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
All I know is he better get the lines figured out and going, and the PP of it's death-bed or there will most likely be another early exit this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad