How Confident Are You In Babcock?

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by WTFMAN99, Feb 1, 2019.

?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

Poll closed Feb 8, 2019.
  1. 100% Confident

15.6%
  2. I have some concerns but he's the right coach

28.9%
  3. I am not very confident in him right now but maybe he'll turn it around

32.6%
  4. I have zero confidence in his ability to win with this group

23.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseofBuggins

HouseofBuggins Registered User

Hes one of the few guys that show up game in game out. Talent can only bring you so far, drive and compete will win championships.

baton elevated and DanM like this.
  2. Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel Registered User

This is a weird time to harp on Hyman. Not only is he not a problem on a scoring line, he's also played at a very high level the last while. He's produced over PPG, and has at times been one of our most effective transition players.

The amount of leeway that someone like Marleau has, or the absurd usage of Johnsson, or the way the coaching staff has still not figured out a way to get the second PP unit going. Those are legitimate gripes, as I see it. With the way Hyman is playing right now, he's not only a fine option in that role, he should be a top option there.

3. SniperOnTheWing

SniperOnTheWing Registered User

Nylander needs to be with Matthews already. What's the holdup Babs?

4. IPS

IPS Registered User

Don't think there's ever been a coach in the history of the game so unwilling to make adjustments to something that's completely defunct.

The rest of the league evolves where Babcock stagnates. We now possess the 30th ranked PP since the turn of the new year, converting at an astonishing rate of 8.6%.

Here we are with Babcock still rolling the same **** that the league figured out over 2 months ago.

Like I said, the rest of the league evolves - Babcock stagnates. This moron is incapable of both in-game adjustments and in-season adjustments.

5. BrannigansLaw

BrannigansLaw 6 8 5 13 Sponsor

I started losing confidence after the playoffs last year when our terrible stretch pass system had no answer for Boston. Since it’s looking like not much has changed, I’m not overly confident about the postseason this year either.

usernamezrhardtodo likes this.
  6. SoCal Leafs

SoCal Leafs Registered User

Love the Blackadder reference!

The impotent PP situation and why there's been no substantial change baffles me. It's hard not to see how bad it's been for months, yet no change so far. I could be wrong but I don't think that there's some kind of underlying advanced stat that the team sees that can justify keeping the status quo despite the lack of results--if anyone has numbers relating to this, please share. Anyway, Babcock isn't known for being an analytics guy so what could he possibly be seeing to keep the PP unchanged?

Also, it's time to put the Hyman-Matthews-Willy line back together. I think the Tavares-Marner duo will be equally effective without Hyman.

SAMCRO44 likes this.
  7. AllDay28

AllDay28 Registered User

Leafs - on winning streak

*lose 1 game*

HF LEafs Nation has another melt down.

Get your heads outta your asses. Babcock is arguably the best coach Toronto's ever had and you people constantly cry about him. His system has him as the richest paid coach in the NHL..what do you do again? And thats not to be rude. What do you do again? None of you can sniff the minor leagues in coaching yet have all the answers.

I might come off as a *****e, but least you dont see me telling professional coaches what they should/shouldnt do.

Wonder if you guys go up to your doc with the same bravado.

HouseofBuggins likes this.
  8. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

stop with your ridiculous takes, we just had a 4 game win streak broken with a 56 SOG game. Babcock is one of the top 5 coaches in the world.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    HouseofBuggins likes this.
  9. Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels Registered User

Post got one thing right. Why are you here? Seriously? You don't want fans to give opinions because they aren't professionals so you peruse a message board? You realize that's the whole point right? I would suggest finding better ways to spend your time.

10. SoCal Leafs

SoCal Leafs Registered User

Agreed, Babcock is a top coach and has done great things with this team. To distill his effectiveness as a coach primarily to lineup decisions or the success % of special teams play is to underestimate what he brings in terms of teaching, leadership, interpersonal management, and other valuable but not easily quantifiable "soft skills".

But Babcock's not perfect, as no one is. And it's hard not to be frustrated, as a fan, with the perception (however valid or not) that no changes or adjustments are being made in order to correct such clear concerns as the power play or inconsistent production and effort on a game-to-game basis. Is that solely on the players, or can some responsibility be placed at the hands of the coaches? Or maybe expectations for this team as built are too high and need to be adjusted?

11. sxvnert

sxvnert Registered User

nhl.png
    Leafs should be much closer to TBay in the standings with a decent cushion above the third and fourth in the division. Instead they'll end up fighting tooth and nail just to stay out of seventh for the rest of the season.
    Anything short of finishing second place in the division is an embarrassment.

baton elevated likes this.
  12. saffronleaf

saffronleaf Registered User

They don't call him Stubcock for nothing. Very stubborn.

13. DanM

DanM Registered User

Agreed

You need players like Hyman to win, and if AM had a third of his compete, he would be the leagues top player with his talent.

With regards to Babcock, he obviously is a good coach, and I wouldn't pretend to know more than a qualified NHL coach. However, there is nothing wrong with him maybe not being the best fit for our team long term, and just maybe he is not as adaptable for the modern NHL thinking.

14. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

what is modern NHL thinking?

15. XeroKaos

XeroKaos Registered User

There were so many years though that we were in the position of a team like Carolina is right now, at 28-22-6 with 62 points being so close but every game being a do or die for our season. We'd look at the standing and see a team sitting with 34-18-3 with 71 points and say that's where we need to be and wished so bad we could.

We really only became a legitimate playoff team in 2017, its still only 2019 so everything isn't going to come overnight, but I do see your point, with adding Tavares we should be firmly in #2 spot.

16. DanM

DanM Registered User

Maybe modern is the wrong word, but I watch our team make stretch pass after stretch pass, and dump after dump, and I have to wonder why we don't change that up?

So maybe instead of modern, I should have said the ability to adapt more on the fly, he seems to think the game one way, see his lines one way, and the offence one way.

Now, this is fine, he is an NHL coach and can do what he wants, who the hell am I to think I know better.

But if you watch other top teams, they seem to have strong play in every type of game. I realize it has a lot to do with the players he has been given, but I do wonder if he only thinks the game one way, and does not want to change things up.

17. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

Leafs have Dubas (Hunter was) and Keefe and Dj Smith in the system, all were elite CHL guys, we are a very modern organization. Babcock always talks about being lifelong learners and how important it is to be one, listen to his interviews.

I really only see Jake making low percentage stretch passes, and Zaitsev bang it up the boards to relieve pressure. I think both struggle a bit when they get matched up against elite lines.

When teams trap you have 2 options,
    • Dump it in and battle in the corners to get it back
    • Risk losing the puck in the neutral zone trying to enter the ozone

I always see us dominating other top teams, we basically dictate the play of the games and other teams are defending/adjusting and trying to figure out how to counter our fast skilled offensively dominating, style of play.

We have the same game plan playing all teams, we are that good now.

DanM likes this.
  18. DanM

DanM Registered User

All great points, and yes the trap will do exactly that. I still think more than just Jake and Z are preforming low percentage plays, but I get what you are saying.

I would still like to see some lower percentage passing, cycle in the O zone play, and better gap control/positioning play (backup your dman) in the Dzone.

19. Menzinger

Menzinger Registered User

Professional Student
    I still like Babcock for the most part but just wish he’d use these mid seasons games to experiment more with different t combinations, especially when it comes to the PP and the D

20. Not My Tempo

Not My Tempo Registered User

Out of curiosity, what’s your criteria for this?

usernamezrhardtodo, Al14 and SAMCRO44 like this.
  21. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

Leafs play a man to man system in the d'zone, you will often see a defenceman way off to the side and the play will be around the net, they don't do play swarming type defense and allow open players to roam around.

Babcock is a fan of cycling and pressures down low in the O'zone and he says that's how the majority of goals are scored and not off the rush. This may help some understand why he plays a Hyman type guy with a couple of skilled guys.

DanM likes this.
  22. DanM

DanM Registered User

Very true

I wish they would swarm more, I have noticed that a lot. The space they give the opposition is too much with the speed through the neutral zone.

With regards to the cycle, I do think they are weak on the cycle, even if Babs loves it. They have a hard time really holding the puck. I know they have a talent to, but they don't seem to have the drive to push through contact.

Again, seems like more of a personnel thing.

23. 6ix

6ix HitEmWit4LikeAustonM

He’s being paid as the #1 coach. By a lot. Top 5 isn’t good enough.

usernamezrhardtodo likes this.
  24. RLF

RLF Registered User

I would say there has been a switch in that mentality lately. I think we are getting better because we are adjusting better.
    I have been harping on the overuse of the stretch pass for a while and lately have been pleasantly surprised to see us coming back with support much more often for the past 5 -10 games. We are starting to adjust to the opposition defending the stretch pass more. The same thing on the PP. Some things I noticed in the past like...always running through Marner and Rielly always dropping it for Marner through the neutral zone. I have been hoping to see Rielly fake the drop and go with it himself. He did last night and caught the Rags forwards flat footed. We are also finally running the PP through different guys on the same PP. This change has been happening slowly and last night it went through, Marner, Rielly and Matthews at different times and we looked way more dangerous. We have been adapting much better lately. All good news heading to the playoffs.

25. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

I pretty much listen to all of Babcock pre/post/off day interviews, he is very informative and an intelligent guy he talks about everything, I'm just saying.

Babs thinks the majority of goals come from down low, (around the net area, grinding in the corners, behind the net, half walls) I think Leafs fans on here want him to play an (eye candy) scoring off the rush system and lineup. That's just not a winning type of system nowadays, it's old school and it's the fans and not Babcock who think like dinosaurs.

DanM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.