How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Babcock seems like a decent coach. I believe in the playoffs last year the main gripe was not starting Matthews for faceoffs or giving him enough ice time? Wasn’t that the reason Babs had to go visit him?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
You'll find everyone agrees almost unanimously that Trotz is an elite coach. What gets lost in everything is that he never actually coached a team past the 2nd round until last year.

Now when Bruce Boudreau gets brought up: he's been criticized to insane lengths for his lack of playoff success.

Both of these guys are elite coaches and have brought terrific results to the teams they've coached yet only one of them receives criticism for lack of playoff success.

The differentiating factor in all of this is reputation. Trotz' reputation that he's cultivated around the league safeguards him from most criticism. The reputation that Boudreau has cultivated more or less brings criticism for his lack of playoff success.

Babcock right now is safeguarded from criticism thanks to his reputation. His management of lines, ice-time and PP management has been completely awful. All of these people who say "LOL hfboards posters think they know better than babcock" are just a little behind the curve and they don't understand basic logic. One can do a simple comparison to other men in his field around the league and come to an easy conclusion that he does not get as much out of his talent than other coaches around the league get out of their talent.

It was actually comical how the whole episode with Randy Carlyle went down when he coached here. The coach was utterly ****ing awful from day 1 (which I was calling out the entire way along) and I got met with the same stupid and illogical responses that I get from criticizing Babcock. It almost seemed like overnight that the rest of the folks realized that he was indeed a horrible coach. Said poster who's not an NHL coach appeared to be onto something after all. And look at him nowadays in Anaheim - he's still doing that same ridiculous anti puck-possession system that he did here.

Reputation is a crazy thing and can blind so many people to the reality of things.

Basic logic would dictate you don’t know the first thing about coaching, but you seem to think you’re the guru

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Basic logic would dictate you don’t know the first thing about coaching, but you seem to think you’re the guru

Stating he doesn't know anything about coaching isn't really a counter to his point since we have tangible evidence that what Babcock does isn't exactly optimal for this group of players. Evidence around the league that counters his methodology very astutely as well. Instead of essentially calling him ignorant, try to counter his points.

Reactions: stickty111

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Stating he doesn't know anything about coaching isn't really a counter to his point since we have tangible evidence that what Babcock does isn't exactly optimal for this group of players. Evidence around the league that counters his methodology very astutely as well. Instead of essentially calling him ignorant, try to counter his points.

We do?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He hates Babcock, he has been relentlessly trashing him all season long, he only quiets down when they go on a winning streak and erupts after every loss and blames the coach. He claimed the top 3 coaches in the league were the Av's, Carolina and Pens about 20 games ago, how did that work out for him? walk away...

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Show me the tangible evidence.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Ever notice Mikey cannot answer a question put to him without a drink 1st....nervous reaction?

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Babcock plays willy and matthews together for 2 years straight, now refuses to put them back together, makes sense. Puts matthews and marner together for 3 games but doesn't work so breaks them up. Then puts marleau and kappy, score in a few games. Decides to keep them together even if their playing shit. I have lost all confidence in him, we will continue to win games because of the roster and because of that Babcock won't be gone any time soon.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
For the most part, any offense I've seen from a player was basically developed and stamped on their forehead by the time they made the NHL.
There's been some pretty big name star players that came in this league and put up some points. Winners often ended up developing their
two way skills later on. Babcock is already honing Matthews.

The real development I've ever seen, the players who went on to not only score, but to win? They ended up developing defensive skills.
Successful lines? Have that unsung hero that let the two other star players play a little looser.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I'll judge him by how well we do these playoffs.

Tonight was a prime example of what a team with a real system can do - Montreal.

It seems -
Montreal has a system better suited for their players. Quicker board plays, quicker east west breakouts and fast north south attack.

We have mediocre board play, decent east west game, but strong north south.
We just have way more depth on individual talent. Hence why the shots were like 28 40 favoring MTL.

Our system is not utilizing our strengths to the fullest IMO. We can have a possession driven Bergeron line with Matthews JT and Marner. But we play Montreal style and not as efficient as them.

Montreal system is quick board win and out out to an attack.
When we win a board battle, its usually either someone can support, or its a giveaway.

Usually our speed balances out our weaknesses and system usage. But tonight it was very evident, Montreal being equal in speed, was a bit quicker due to a SMOOTHER system. Less thinking per play for them. Whereas leafs have to sometimes second guess.

I hope Babs has a way to fix the PP and a few tricks up his sleeve.

I feel like some new asst. coaches might help shake up things for the better.

Go leafs go!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'll judge him by how well we do these playoffs.

Tonight was a prime example of what a team with a real system can do - Montreal.

It seems -
Montreal has a system better suited for their players. Quicker board plays, quicker east west breakouts and fast north south attack.

We have mediocre board play, decent east west game, but strong north south.
We just have way more depth on individual talent. Hence why the shots were like 28 40 favoring MTL.

Our system is not utilizing our strengths to the fullest IMO. We can have a possession driven Bergeron line with Matthews JT and Marner. But we play Montreal style and not as efficient as them.

Montreal system is quick board win and out out to an attack.
When we win a board battle, its usually either someone can support, or its a giveaway.

Usually our speed balances out our weaknesses and system usage. But tonight it was very evident, Montreal being equal in speed, was a bit quicker due to a SMOOTHER system. Less thinking per play for them. Whereas leafs have to sometimes second guess.

I hope Babs has a way to fix the PP and a few tricks up his sleeve.

I feel like some new asst. coaches might help shake up things for the better.

Go leafs go!

So Montreal has a real system eh and the Leafs just play pond hockey right? lol

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Leivo has looked good with EP and Boeser in Vancouver.

Another sad reminder that our caveman coach made us lose a gritty top 6 winger for nothing and sat him for two years.

Reactions: david999

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Exactly.

That team has zero star players but they have a great coach and a perfect system for their roster. Imagine if Montreal had a Marner or Rielly.

Leafs don’t really have a system and mostly win on skill alone.

Imagine if the Leafs had Price and Weber

he is now 7 - 1

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
For everyone rolling their eyes about his line choices in OT, his plan seemed to work perfectly.
Really? You wouldn't have chose Brown,Hainsey and Muzzin to start OT...no one would have...I was hoping the Habs would score ,so that Babs would never try that shyte again ! He got lucky .Actually ,i was shocked that Hyman wasn't out there. JT and MArner proving they can succeed without Zach as well. Babs is a stubborn old dog that refuses to learn.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leivo has looked good with EP and Boeser in Vancouver.

Another sad reminder that our caveman coach made us lose a gritty top 6 winger for nothing and sat him for two years.

I'll give you that. Leivo has a goal and an assist tonight against the flames. Leivo could have been used much better and if we had to trade him we could have gotten a better pick

Reactions: WilliamNylander

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Really? You wouldn't have chose Brown,Hainsey and Muzzin to start OT...no one would have...I was hoping the Habs would score ,so that Babs would never try that shyte again ! He got lucky .Actually ,i was shocked that Hyman wasn't out there. JT and MArner proving they can succeed without Zach as well. Babs is a stubborn old dog that refuses to learn.

They had to kill a penalty, why wouldn’t you use players who actually PK?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I'll give you that. Leivo has a goal and an assist tonight against the flames. Leivo could have been used much better and if we had to trade him we could have gotten a better pick

Too bad we couldn’t see how he would look in our top 9 here.

If he’s playing with Pettersson and Boeser I’m sure he could’ve played with 34 and 29. And I agree that we could’ve used him and gotten a better pick in a trade for him.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I found it pretty amazing that we were in the top 5 for goals against with Hainsey on the top pairing, Oz being Oz and Gardiner and Zaitsev being a train wreck night after night.

But of course because this is HFBoards one of the best coaches in the league gets such a ridiculous poll result.

Without Babs being Babs we'd have given up 5 goals a game.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I would say not overly confident. Us being a good team was expected and there are certainly some alarming things about Babs and the coaching staff. The powerplay should not be anywhere in the same stratosphere it is now with the roster we have, and we should not be having such a difficult time breaking out of our zone. I also DESPISE his usage of certain players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->