How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
If the #1 PP unit was scoring, they would get more time, they all stand around and wait for Mitch to do something creative. Matthews gets the puck and shoots it, that's it,
This #1 pp is going nowhere. The whole idea of slowing down the play and having Marner outsmart the other team with his passes may work on shit teams in the season but it won't work in the playoffs when teams are studying video. What they need is to look at Tampa's PP. They have two shotguns loaded on both wings, positioning and studying video won't protect you from this PP because a big factor is your goalie's reflexes.

Reactions: Moonman

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I think the stagnant stationary PP is definitely on the coaches.

They have 5 players out there who can all pass and shoot and stickhandle, from anywhere. They should be moving and switching all over the place. But they just stand still. That's coaching.
I think the bigger issue is the amount of egos on the ice. Mid pp if Ovechkin decides to switch to the point, everyone knows hes the man, they listen and follow. I don't see Matthews doing something like this with a guy like Kadri or Reilly. So yes, this is where coaching needs to step in

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I thought there was no hitting in women's hockey Daisy?

there is hitting in woman's hockey you just can't layout a wide open hit (like in the mens game). this also doesn't stop the women from actually DOING it. and this is actually, what drives me bananas. you can be a physical team without actually "hitting" (and I hate playing this card, but it's like everyone always goes with "haha, the Leafs are as soft as a women's hockey team." - and i'm like that's just sexist bunk They will never be as physical as men's hockey, they simply can't be, genetically, but they are extremely physical and being demeaning about it just burns my biscuits) - not saying you are/did, just in general.

quite frankly, to me, I think the Leafs can be physical when they want to. We've seen it. but it isn't their game, thus they should be coached for what they are, not what the coach needs to be and I've flat out said and I've said this forever, if it were me, I would have hired Joel Quennville the minute he got fired. like the nanosecond. whatever they did with Babcock after that is beyond me and I don't care LOL

Reactions: weems and Al14

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think the bigger issue is the amount of egos on the ice. Mid pp if Ovechkin decides to switch to the point, everyone knows hes the man, they listen and follow. I don't see Matthews doing something like this with a guy like Kadri or Reilly. So yes, this is where coaching needs to step in
A good idea to switch the PP up would be to put Matthews on the right side as a one timer threat. He's got a terrific one-timer that Leafs nation just hasn't seen enough of. Marner running the half-wall has gotten stale and teams have figured out every set play they run.

the coach has no responsibility to change the PP strategy?
These excuses keep getting stupider and stupider :laugh:

so you're saying our players just suck on the PP?
Oh of course. Nylander was a top-3 PP producer in 16/17, Marner was a top-5 PP producer last year, and Matthews was the best PP goal-scorer in the league up until our PP went to utter shit.

But nope. Not coach's fault at all.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
there is hitting in woman's hockey you just can't layout a wide open hit (like in the mens game). this also doesn't stop the women from actually DOING it. and this is actually, what drives me bananas. you can be a physical team without actually "hitting" (and I hate playing this card, but it's like everyone always goes with "haha, the Leafs are as soft as a women's hockey team." - and i'm like that's just sexist bunk They will never be as physical as men's hockey, they simply can't be, genetically, but they are extremely physical and being demeaning about it just burns my biscuits) - not saying you are/did, just in general.

quite frankly, to me, I think the Leafs can be physical when they want to. We've seen it. but it isn't their game, thus they should be coached for what they are, not what the coach needs to be and I've flat out said and I've said this forever, if it were me, I would have hired Joel Quennville the minute he got fired. like the nanosecond. whatever they did with Babcock after that is beyond me and I don't care LOL

That's a stupid ass rule

As I said I coached a womens rugby team and while they weren't as physically big as men they were just as aggressive and loved getting physical

Honestly the women's domestic game over here is better watching than the men

Time for a rule change, women aren't delicate flowers that need to be protected, same rules for everyone

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
That's a stupid ass rule

As I said I coached a womens rugby team and while they weren't as physically big as men they were just as aggressive and loved getting physical

Time for a rule change, women aren't delicate flowers that need to be protected, same rules for everyone

When women's rugby has the same impact on management's decisions as does the Leafs, I'll not say that was a self serving comment.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014

Off topic but the way the league is going I won't be surprised if we see woman in the league 4 years from now

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Off topic but the way the league is going I won't be surprised if we see woman in the league 4 years from now

lol, not going to happen, they are not even ECHL level, I have watched the pro women's league live, i enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
When women's rugby has the same impact on management's decisions as does the Leafs, I'll not say that was a self serving comment.

What?

I've seen some indecipherable stuff on here but this one is right up there

I've read it 10 times and still don't have a clue what your talking about

Not going to happen
Biology exists

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I may have misheard the tsn highlight but didn't that woman beat mcdavids speed in the all star competition?

Nope

The advantages men have over women biologically would suggest that were not getting a women in a major men's contact sports league for a long long time

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
you guys are a bunch of cry babies.
110/143 at the time of this comment.

We fired Burns and got rid of Gilmour because of a losing skid.
Leafs went 3-8-3 in Jan 96 and 3-9-1 in Feb. 96
and you guys are going to whine about this.

Don't be like those stupid fans that wanted Burns fired and Gilmour traded.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That's a stupid ass rule

women's hockey actually has a higher rate of concussion then men's. so maybe it's there for that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
women's hockey actually has a higher rate of concussion then men's. so maybe it's there for that.

Then why play hockey at all? there's risks in all contact sports
If a women is willing to accept that she should be able to play full contact imo

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Well, coach that notices dirty shoes on interviewer sure has great deal of attention to details. It's not all on coach. Players should execute, but I'm 100% confident they are prepared as good as any team and have all info they need to beat any team.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
I'll say no confidence.

It seems in every game the Leafs aren't ready to play. Slow starts. Then there is the stretch pass. Poor defensive systems. No change to the pp after 3 months of low production.

Babs is good with mid to low tier players. Gets the best out of them (see his first year here) but with talent, he cant seem to adjust and let the skill play.

Also I'll throw a bit of shade to Dubas. We need a Power forward.

Jun 27, 2005
lol, not going to happen, they are not even ECHL level, I have watched the pro women's league live, i enjoyed it.

The Canadian Olympic Women's hockey team plays practice games against 16 year old boys and generally loses. It's not very good hockey.

Reactions: freshwind

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Then why play hockey at all? there's risks in all contact sports
If a women is willing to accept that she should be able to play full contact imo

so? you can argue that regarding the men's game - and all these former players are suing. you asked - it was my best guess, because concussion rates are high. it doesn't change the fact that the women's game is indeed physical. there is contact.

I'll say no confidence.

It seems in every game the Leafs aren't ready to play. Slow starts. Then there is the stretch pass. Poor defensive systems. No change to the pp after 3 months of low production.

Babs is good with mid to low tier players. Gets the best out of them (see his first year here) but with talent, he cant seem to adjust and let the skill play.

Also I'll throw a bit of shade to Dubas. We need a Power forward.

so.... who coached team canada, and the world cup team?
Babcock did.

so obviously he can coach higher end players and let the skill play. geeze.

blaming the coach because the players on the ice can't start on time is so dumb.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Babs goes overboard with enforcing his entrenched tactical mantras. His leadership is strong and stable, but the day to day decisions are his to own and answer for if the team does not meet expectations.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad