How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
People crapping on Hyman will realize fast how much we need a player like him... when gone.

He is a motor that never stops. Awesome player to have on the ice in the dying mins , trying to close out a game.

Though I agree- He would be phenomenal on our 3rd line. We don't have a more skilled mucker to work on our top 2 lines.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
There's no point in worrying about short shifts on a PP. It's not the same as a regular shift.

It bothers me our coach is giving an advantage nightly to our competition.

If the #1 PP unit was scoring, they would get more time, they all stand around and wait for Mitch to do something creative. Matthews gets the puck and shoots it, that's it,

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Can't do much about that as we draw so few penalties. Are our guys TOI EV greater than the others?

Pretty much on par with most other top teams. PP time is a little less, but I guess people will always find something to complain about.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think our special teams needs adjusting though. Only knock I have on Babcock.

Pp1
Matthews - Tavares- Marner
Muzzin - Rielly

Nylander - Kadri - Kapanen
Gardiner - Dermott

Pk1
Tavares - Marner
Muzzin - Hainsey

Pk2
Hyman - Kapanen
Rielly - Zaitsev

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If the #1 PP unit was scoring, they would get more time, they all stand around and wait for Mitch to do something creative. Matthews gets the puck and shoots it, that's it,
The issue is, when they were scoring a lot, Babcock still pulled them off too soon.
He does this regardless of success or failure.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Exactly. Its so predictable and boring. The basic set-up is there, but people blaming Babcock for the lack of PP success is a joke. These guys have the ability to change it up as they go, they are not robots programmed to do one thing only. They have no point shot to be afraid of and no one timer to be afraid of. Its a bunch of weak wrist shots and predictable passes.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Pretty much on par with most other top teams. PP time is a little less, but I guess people will always find something to complain about.

There icetime isn't a killer to me, it is the lack of balanced personel to play the kind of game Babcock wants to play.

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Exactly. Its so predictable and boring. The basic set-up is there, but people blaming Babcock for the lack of PP success is a joke. These guys have the ability to change it up as they go, they are not robots programmed to do one thing only. They have no point shot to be afraid of and no one timer to be afraid of. Its a bunch of weak wrist shots and predictable passes.

I think the stagnant stationary PP is definitely on the coaches.

They have 5 players out there who can all pass and shoot and stickhandle, from anywhere. They should be moving and switching all over the place. But they just stand still. That's coaching.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think the stagnant stationary PP is definitely on the coaches.

They have 5 players out there who can all pass and shoot and stickhandle, from anywhere. They should be moving and switching all over the place. But they just stand still. That's coaching.

I struggle with fault on this. The coach has said the PP runs through Mitch. So directive is there to get Mitch the puck. That said, our players should be smart enough to see other openings when they have the puck instead of just dishing to Marner and doing the same set up. We have looked most dangerous lately when Matthews runs it from the other side. So, they have chose other set ups at times. Is that coach allowing it or is it players taking it into their own hands?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
People crapping on Hyman will realize fast how much we need a player like him... when gone.

He is a motor that never stops. Awesome player to have on the ice in the dying mins , trying to close out a game.

Though I agree- He would be phenomenal on our 3rd line. We don't have a more skilled mucker to work on our top 2 lines.
NHL playoffs:
Hyman - .62 PPG
Matthews - .54 PPG
Nylander - .62 PPG
Marner - 1.00 PPG

Obviously small sample size but level of expectations.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I have no issue with the way Babs uses his players and lines. I think he has two goals every game 1) win the game 2) develop players. So when lower caliber players are getting extra time I attribute that to player development.

That said, I would like him to change the style of play to a somewhat grittier one, specially in defense. I see our forwards get physically pushed off the puck but our defense try to out skate the opposing players and beat them to the puck - which is not very effective and results in many shots on goal - some of them really dangerous shots.

RLF

May 5, 2014
exactly. that's on the coaches.

Agreed on that part. Point is - if you are saying they run it, then are the caoches also not responsible for some of the different looks when it goes through Matthews more now?

RLF

May 5, 2014
I have no issue with the way Babs uses his players and lines. I think he has two goals every game 1) win the game 2) develop players. So when lower caliber players are getting extra time I attribute that to player development.

That said, I would like him to change the style of play to a somewhat grittier one, specially in defense. I see our forwards get physically pushed off the puck but our defense try to out skate the opposing players and beat them to the puck - which is not very effective and results in many shots on goal - some of them really dangerous shots.

I don't think we have the DNA to play grittier, which is why you don't see it. Babcock preaches grittier play.

Reactions: willmma

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
exactly. that's on the coaches.

The coaches set up the basic formation, its up to the players to adapt on the ice. This isn't a rod hockey game where they can only move up and down. They are not robots that can only have one play available to them, and if it isn't available they short circuit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The coaches set up the basic formation, its up to the players to adapt on the ice. This isn't a rod hockey game where they can only move up and down. They are not robots that can only have one play available to them, and if it isn't available they short circuit.

so you're saying our players just suck on the PP?

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011

Yeah Leivo was like Hyman and they lost a good piece with him.

I don't know if I want Babcock for much longer though. The team has the same problems as it did a few seasons ago.
Babs is really slow to adapt and most teams have figured them out by now.

He also likes a grind it out gritty style games but right now the team is not built for it. They really on speed and skill

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
so you're saying our players just suck on the PP?

They have no threat of a hard point shot
Nobody has a legit one timer

It makes it pretty easy to defend when these aspects do not exist. Perhaps somebody can try one timing a pass across or perhaps Reilly or whoever else in the on the point let one rip every once in a while to keep the PK honest.

I just don't buy that Babcock does not allow these guys to be creative, and if thats the case, than he can take the blame.

Reactions: RLF

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

It makes it pretty easy to defend when these aspects do not exist. Perhaps somebody can try one-timing a pass across or perhaps Reilly or whoever else in the on the point let one rip every once in a while to keep the PK honest.

I just don't buy that Babcock does not allow these guys to be creative, and if that's the case, then he can take the blame.

Rielly not being a shooting threat once the PP sets up in the Ozone really hurts. Leafs need a right-handed bomb dropper to work with Mitch on the PP, I think that would open things up for Mitch

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I just don't buy that Babcock does not allow these guys to be creative, and if thats the case, than he can take the blame.

You know he's allowed to tell them to move and switch more aggressively, right? he's the coach.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It makes it pretty easy to defend when these aspects do not exist. Perhaps somebody can try one timing a pass across or perhaps Reilly or whoever else in the on the point let one rip every once in a while to keep the PK honest.

I think you’d be surprised at just how few pp goals around the league come from shots form the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA