How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It takes a truly horrible coach to not be able to create a working PP with the talent on this team.

We are now 13th in the league on the PP.

Since December 1st, we are 27th in the league with the PP converting at 13.1%.

This coach is an utter moron, there is no excuse for this incompetency. ZERO ability to make adjustments whatsoever. Other teams obviously figured out our PP's tenancies and set plays, our coaching staff continues to do the same **** over and over again. This has gotten infuriating.

What's funny is the top PP unit, with 3 of the same bodies on it over the last two years (Kadri, Marner, Rielly), has been running a similar set up for almost 3 seasons with some high success over that stretch.

What's funnier was the screams that the coach is a moron for not stacking the PP over the two seasons in spite of the successes.

What's funniest is now that coach, who has stacked the unit and had incredible success early on, is now a moron for not using the talent properly despite the set up running through the same elite player for a few seasons now.

This is great :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I just question it. Three superstars, a vezina quality goalie, we get muzzin now..... What can babcock rest his hat on? How much does management need to give him to work with? Its a little mind blowing.

That's the thing, people call this team "Very Flawed"..uh, not really. Look at this immense talent. Barry Trotz and Claude Julien are doing a hell of a lot more with less.
What can Babcock complain about? Freddie in nets, Rielly, now Muzzin, best centres in the NHL. franchise winger in Marner. This is a very good team.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What's funny is the top PP unit, with 3 of the same bodies on it over the last two years (Kadri, Marner, Rielly), has been running a similar set up for almost 3 seasons with some high success over that stretch.

What's funnier was the screams that the coach is a moron for not stacking the PP over the two seasons in spite of the successes.

What's funniest is now that coach, who has stacked the unit and had incredible success early on, is now a moron for not using the talent properly despite the set up running through the same elite player for a few seasons now.

This is great :laugh:

And it worked great, before teams figured out the schemes. After teams figured the scheme out, the results have plundered. Who's responsibility is it for getting things working again?

And typically when you stack a top-unit, you don't split their time with the inferior 2nd unit. I mean literally no other team does this except us.

Did ya intentionally miss theses important points of context ;)?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
That's the thing, people call this team "Very Flawed"..uh, not really. Look at this immense talent. Barry Trotz and Claude Julien are doing a hell of a lot more with less.
What can Babcock complain about? Freddie in nets, Rielly, now Muzzin, best centers in the NHL. franchise winger in Marner. This is a very good team.

every season there are overachieving teams, Leafs are almost an elite level team equal to the Caps, Pens, Tampa, Preds, Jets, we are maybe another Muzzin/Hainsey type D'man away.

IMO, Freddy has failed in both playoff series, or we would have gone on to the 2nd round

Last edited:

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I thought yall be like "in BABCOCK WE TRUST"
Guess not. Almost voted cero confidence but you cant live wo hope.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
every season there are overachieving teams, Leafs are almost an elite level team equal to the Caps, Pens, Tampa, Preds, Jets, we are maybe another Muzzin/Hainsey type D'man away.

IMO, Freddy has failed in both playoff series, or we would have gone on to the 2nd round

Games 5 and 6 were all Freddy brother, I think he ultimately evened out his bad games with his good games. The ultimate failure was not winning game 4 when the Bruins missed Bergeron.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Aside from maybe Tampa and Winnipeg, they are better than those other teams.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
One problem I have with Babcock is his slowness in adapting, very stubborn and set in his methodology. till it no longer works. But, by that time needless points have been lost. The second problem I have is his love for mediocre hardworking players like Brown and Hyman. He thought those two had great games on Friday. Now, I know he doesn't believe that (cause he's not that dense), but god knows he sticks by those guys.

Reactions: Al14

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Babushka is good with big egos who are already established and really good.

This is his first big test with kids. I give him passing grades so far.

And frankly we don’t know how good any of them would be without Babs. They might all have been a bust. It’s unknown. He’s the only NHL coach they have had.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Little bit of concern with his usage of players. (Would like to see Babs really play Marner/Matthews/JT a lot come playoffs) but other then that and our PP, I have faith that he can lead us to a cup. Apart from Quenneville, there is no one else that is a better coach for the Leafs.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
"Top defensive defenseman" ... Ron Hainsey?

lol
I guess this then begs the question as to who their top defensive defenceman is then. I would have to think that the d man that is the cornerstone of the top ten ranked PK would certainly merit more consideration than an LOL.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Little bit of concern with his usage of players. (Would like to see Babs really play Marner/Matthews/JT a lot come playoffs) but other then that and our PP, I have faith that he can lead us to a cup. Apart from Quenneville, there is no one else that is a better coach for the Leafs.
Our 4th line, and Hyman, are the sticks that stir our drinks! ;)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not here to dump but this seems to be the thread to talk about it. I really wish he didn't go to his 4th line after we score a goal as often as he does. He could probably ride the top 9 a bit more.

That Muzzin-Rielly pair was alright though :)

Reactions: Al14

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Another problem I have is that the 4th line will take defensive zone face offs. You literally have Matthews, Tavares and Kadri. Why the hell are you letting the 4th line out there?

Also saw the 4th line come out there for an offensive zone start after an icing, which made no sense to me. But I'd rather the 4th line them take a draw in the offensive zone than defensive.

Reactions: francis246

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I'm not here to dump but this seems to be the thread to talk about it. I really wish he didn't go to his 4th line after we score a goal as often as he does. He could probably ride the top 9 a bit more.

That Muzzin-Rielly pair was alright though :)
Does he think our 4th-line is a shutdown / energy line? He may believe other team will have a push back.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
None of the polls answers describe how I feel. i will say this. WHEN the Leafs win the Cup Babcock will not be the coach. Sheldon Keefe will be the Leafs coach.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Babushka is good with big egos who are already established and really good.

This is his first big test with kids. I give him passing grades so far.

And frankly we don’t know how good any of them would be without Babs. They might all have been a bust. It’s unknown. He’s the only NHL coach they have had.
We also don't know how much better, or worse, they might be under a different head coach.

Maybe another coach unleashes our skilled, speedy talent and let's them play to their strengths. It's like trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
We also don't know how much better, or worse, they might be under a different head coach.

Maybe another coach unleashes our skilled, speedy talent and let's them play to their strengths. It's like trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.

We only know what we’ve seen: which is very young talents playing extremely well, enough that the entire league is watching with envy.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So are we going to pay Matthews 12 million per and have him outside the top 80 in TOI next season?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So are we going to pay Matthews 12 million per and have him outside the top 80 in TOI next season?
do the leafs need Matthews to be one of the most played players in the league, will that help them finish ahead of Tampa?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
do the leafs need Matthews to be one of the most played players in the league, will that help them finish ahead of Tampa?

They very well could finish ahead of Tampa next season.

Why the hell would you pay a guy the second biggest NHL contract and not have him in the top 80 of TOI?

The Leafs, according to reports, are looking to move Zaitsev. Makes sense, right? Did you see his ice-time last night?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They very well could finish ahead of Tampa next season.

Why the hell would you pay a guy the second biggest NHL contract and not have him in the top 80 of TOI?

I said,

Leafs can't let a players salary dictate coaching strategy.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I said,

Leafs can't let salary dictate coaching strategy.

Salary=talent. Talent needs to play the most. This team cannot have Zack Hyman leading forwards in TOI. It's ridiculous. That is happening this season.

So Babcock is some genius doing something no other coach does?

Reactions: dsred

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Leafs, according to reports, are looking to move Zaitsev. Makes sense, right? Did you see his ice-time last night?

Muzzin gave us depth now, Leafs were able to use Rielly/Muzzin against Sid, and they were able to use Zaitsev/Hainsey in even strength defensive d'zone situations, it worked out great.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Salary=talent. Talent needs to play the most. This team cannot have Zack Hyman leading forwards in TOI. It's ridiculous. That is happening this season.

So Babcock is some genius doing something no other coach does?

Hyman doesn't lead the team in ice time, you're BS'ing. Hyman also happens to play on our most talented line, that's the genius of Babcock, you need to think about this ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad