How can McDavid pass Malkin all time?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That scenario could happen in soooooo many different ways, I don't even know where to start.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
You should just stop trying at this point. It’s starting to get embarrassing.

You can’t change it to four because McDavid has played three seasons. This isn’t rocket science to why you’d use first three seasons.

-Change it to 3. I dont care. Crosby led his team to the Cup Finals in year 3 and had a 120 point season at 1.52 points per game. Three achievements far better then Mcdavid.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
-Change it to 3. I dont care. Crosby led his team to the Cup Finals in year 3 and had a 120 point season at 1.52 points per game. Three achievements far better then Mcdavid.

Please look at the Powerplay totals for those seasons compared to now.

You're welcome, i just saved you some time.

Reactions: varank

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
More talent to play with than any other star? What are you talking about? Plenty of those draft years were some of the weakest lottery years in recent memory. Guys like RNH and Yakupov had no other real challengers for 1st overall not really sure what we could have done differently there.

Also, there's this other team that sucked ass for 5 years in a row until they became relevant:

Pittsburgh drafted in the following order: 5th - Ryan Whitney / 1st - MAF / 2nd - Malkin / 1st - Crosby / 2nd - Staal
--> Sorry we weren't lucky enough to get 2 generational talents and a borderline HOF goalie :(

Talent as in playing with Draisaitl, neither of the other 2 benefited from an elite linemate.

Also, the Fluery 1st overall was traded for, it had nothing to do with luck.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I count 2. Or are you actually differentiating between points per game in a full season and points in a full season? That's like saying that McDavid not only has two Art Ross trophies already, but also led the league in scoring twice already.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Please look at the Powerplay totals for those seasons compared to now.

You're welcome, i just saved you some time.

-Irrelevant. This past season was the 3rd highest scoring season overall dating all the way back to 1996 with the rule changes. The league average was 2.97 goals per game, thats approaching Lemieux territory in his prime in the 90s with league scoring that high. People want to talk crap about the 90s and you cant even sneeze on a player in this current no contact league let alone grab him and hold him like the clutch and grab era and the refs swallowed their whistle.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I count 2. Or are you actually differentiating between points per game in a full season and points in a full season? That's like saying that McDavid not only has two Art Ross trophies already, but also led the league in scoring twice already.

-Total points and points per game are 2 completely different metrics.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
-Total points and points per game are 2 completely different metrics.
Oh boy.

No. Total points is literally the points per game multiplied by the number of games the player played.

Also worth noting that McDavid has led the league in points per game and in points the last two seasons. Shockingly, this isn't uncommon.

This may be because points per game is literally just a player's point totals divided by the number of games the player played. So putting up the highest point totals significantly improves your chances of having the highest P/G. Because of course it does!

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
-Irrelevant. This past season was the 3rd highest scoring season overall dating all the way back to 1996 with the rule changes. The league average was 2.97 goals per game, thats approaching Lemieux territory in his prime in the 90s with league scoring that high. People want to talk crap about the 90s and you cant even sneeze on a player in this current no contact league let alone grab him and hold him like the clutch and grab era and the refs swallowed their whistle.
Look at Mcdavid's even strength totals this year, compare it to the next best player. Now compare the Oilers pp total's this season compared to the next team with the lowest amount, then look at the team that had the highest total. Next you will want to compare it to Crosby's 120 point season, look at his even strength points and PP points. Now think if the totals were as high now as they were back then. Mcdavid only had 12 less points than the very best year of Crosby despite the terrible special teams and low amount of advantages. You can figure out the averages if you use math and have a brain.

How is that not important? I would hope you are just a troll and not this obtuse. Seriously, a 12 point difference between clutch and grab, and and open powerplay fest and you use the 120 point advantage as gospel that Crosby was so much better. I think you unintentionally destroyed your own argument with ignorance.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Oh boy.

No. Total points is literally the points per game multiplied by the number of games the player played.

Also worth noting that McDavid has led the league in points per game and in points the last two seasons. Shockingly, this isn't uncommon.

This may be because points per game is literally just a player's point totals divided by the number of games the player played. So putting up the highest point totals significantly improves your chances of having the highest P/G. Because of course it does!

-He won by .01 in points per game over Nathan Mackinnon. Do you realize how small that is? In 1993 Lemieux won the Art Ross with a 160 points and played 24 less games then Pat Lafontaine. Mcdavid won the Art Ross with next to zero separation. Points and Points Per game are totally different. Lemieux led the league in points with 160. Lafontaine had 148. Actually looks like a really close Art Ross race, until you realize Lemieux played 24 less games and absolutely destroyed the field that year in points per game

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
-He won by .01 in points per game over Nathan Mackinnon. Do you realize how small that is? In 1993 Lemieux won the Art Ross with a 160 points and played 24 less games then Pat Lafontaine. Mcdavid won the Art Ross with next to zero separation. Points and Points Per game are totally different. Lemieux led the league in points with 160. Lafontaine had 148. Actually looks like a really close Art Ross race, until you realize Lemieux played 24 less games and absolutely destroyed the field that year in points per game
Who has more of an impact? Someone with a higher PPG? Or someone with a higher point total?

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
This. Malkin is a great player, no doubt, but injuries and inconsistency have made for quite an up and down career. I think people on this site tend to often rate him by his peak when he hasn't always been that guy.

From an individual awards standpoint, McDavid is close to matching Malkin after just 3 years. I think it would be quite the disappointment for McDavid if he doesn't eventually surpass him.

he is just that guy who averages 97 per 82 over 700 plus games. The problem is he doesn't play enough games. It has nothing to do with his ability when on the ice.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm not sure what confuses me more. The fact that you don't seem to understand how close the relationship between points and points per game is, your continued insistence on bringing up Lemieux in a discussion that has nothing to do with Lemieux, or how you want it to appear that winning the Art Ross by a margin of 6 points is "next to zero separation".

Actually, I should rephrase that. It doesn't confuse me. It's just an outrageously poor argumentative technique, attempting to divert from the subject at hand by either feigning ignorance or actually attempting to switch topics.

Games played matters, and is a good thing. Because they allow players to get more points, which is a positive thing for the team. I sincerely hope that I don't have to explain why actual points scored instead of just pace is a good thing.

Either way, McDavid led the league in points per game and in points the last two seasons, and won the Art Ross both years. So if you want to count Crosby's league leading P/G and his league leading total points as two accomplishments, then logically you'll do the same thing for McDavid.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

Yes it was an amazing feat.
The only thing I would argue is scoring was higher. Mcdavid will put up more than 120 points in his best year.
I would bet Signed Mcdavid Rookie Card. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad