How can McDavid pass Malkin all time?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Malkin had 113 points as the leading scorer and went on to score 36 points in 24 playoff games as the leading playoff scorer before winning the conn smythe on year. Hard to see CMD97 topping that.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Malkin only has 3 (4 after this) seasons in the top 20 of hart voting. Not going to be hard to pass him.
This. Malkin is a great player, no doubt, but injuries and inconsistency have made for quite an up and down career. I think people on this site tend to often rate him by his peak when he hasn't always been that guy.

From an individual awards standpoint, McDavid is close to matching Malkin after just 3 years. I think it would be quite the disappointment for McDavid if he doesn't eventually surpass him.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
He can easily pass Malkin's career accomplishments (or Ovechkin or Crosby for that matter) without either of those things. He can have two 50 goal seasons for instance and finish with 600 more points than Malkin when their careers are over, or win four more Ross' than Malkin. That would make his career better.

Regular season stuff is separate from playoff stuff, team stuff is different from individual stuff. Manning way better player than Brady for 16 games, Brady way better than Manning for the other 3 or 4.

-There are only 2 players in the entire NHL active players that are averaging over 1 point per game in the NHL playoffs. You guessed it buddy, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

-Mcdavid better learn to step up and be a leader.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The bigger question is what does he have to do to surpass Toews and his amazing 674 career HOF points?

Reactions: Acallabeth

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
-There are only 2 players in the entire NHL active players that are averaging over 1 point per game in the NHL playoffs. You guessed it buddy, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Guess how many cups Crosby or Malkin would have if they played on the Oilers and did not have each other to carry the team when one is not scoring? You guessed it buddy, absolutely zero.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Guess how many cups Crosby or Malkin would have if they played on the Oilers and did not have each other to carry the team when one is not scoring? You guessed it buddy, absolutely zero.

-The Oilers have had the #1 overall draft pick for like the last 10 years straight. When your coach and GM trade away players like Taylor Hall, you deserve to stink. Although I blame Mcdavid just as much. He makes 12.5 million per year and cant even separate himself from the rest of the field. 1 year in the playoffs and failed miserably at showtime.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Well on his way. Within 2- 3 years he will fly past Malkin. If he does win a cup in that time and goes on a couple of deep runs. Then Malkin is just an afterthought. Until Then Malkin right now has the edge.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Like it or not, McDavid has a ways to go before he's talked about in the same league as Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin.

Not saying he's not good because he's phenomenal, but he has to keep replicating elite seasons for the next couple years to get to the level the big 3 are at.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
-The Oilers have had the #1 overall draft pick for like the last 10 years straight. When your coach and GM trade away players like Taylor Hall, you deserve to stink. Although I blame Mcdavid just as much. He makes 12.5 million per year and cant even separate himself from the rest of the field. 1 year in the playoffs and failed miserably at showtime.

What does the Oiler picks and screw up by the GM's have to do with McDavid's performance?

He doesn't make 12.5 until THIS season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
McDavid is the best player to enter the league since Lindros in my opinion and is living up to the ridiculous hype. Now as we know Lindros' career was derailed by injury, that is the only thing I can see changing McDavid's trajectory. He bests Crosby and Ovie considerably in my opinion.

-A guy with egg on his face for arguing Eichel was close.

Though nobody is really close at all anymore he is the best player in the league and it looks like his reign as that is going to be a long one.

I watch a ton of Oilers on center ice now, the things this guy does reminds me of watching another Oiler when I was small and getting into hockey. Just better than everyone else by a lot. Keep doing what he is doing. He is the only guy I have seen in a while that has true Mount Rushmore capabilities to him.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Wow even now we still hear excuses. The Oilers have a decade of lottery picks, several of them 1st overalls including one of them being a generational talent. McDavid has been given more talent to play with than any other star, don't blame the team. Blame the GM.

How is it an excuse? The guy makes up 46 percent of the teams total offense.

So you’re gonna compare Hall, RNH and Yakupov to Malkin etc? Are you actually going to say the Oilers had a better team?

What a weak ass post.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

-Mcdavid better learn to step up and be a leader.

Even more useless hot takes. It’s like playing on a better team, having a Malkin and Crosby on different lines helps. But instead you’re blaming leadership. Those damn intangibles.

And here we go with even MORE useless hot takes. Especially coming from a Penguins fan who’s had their fair share of top picks in the draft. Gold.

Can’t separate himself from the field? He’s earned his second straight art ross in his third year of play. Guess what your Crosby didn’t do in those three years?

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
McDavid is the best player to enter the league since Lindros in my opinion and is living up to the ridiculous hype. Now as we know Lindros' career was derailed by injury, that is the only thing I can see changing McDavid's trajectory. He bests Crosby and Ovie considerably in my opinion.

-A guy with egg on his face for arguing Eichel was close.

Though nobody is really close at all anymore he is the best player in the league and it looks like his reign as that is going to be a long one.

I watch a ton of Oilers on center ice now, the things this guy does reminds me of watching another Oiler when I was small and getting into hockey. Just better than everyone else by a lot. Keep doing what he is doing. He is the only guy I have seen in a while that has true Mount Rushmore capabilities to him.

the best players skate with their heads up.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Malkin had 113 points as the leading scorer and went on to score 36 points in 24 playoff games as the leading playoff scorer before winning the conn smythe on year. Hard to see CMD97 topping that.
I think it's totally possible if the oilers can get a team put around him for a deep playoff run. 113 points in the regular season doesn't have to be some insane season for McDavid that looks like it's going to be the norm for him. If the oilers ever go deep why wouldn't he be able to put up 36 points?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
the best players skate with their heads up.

No they don't, we had to legislate that in... A lesson learned to what we lost with Lindros and the gaps in Crosby's career.

What happened to Lindros was unfortunate. He was really a unicorn in terms of the talent he possessed to go along with his physical package. That was a huge loss, to me the first moment where you said is allowing some of this really worth not getting to see Lindros play. It was legal at the time, and I know people have a garbage take that Stevens wouldn't adjust he would he had the greatest timing in the game. But it is a hit that doesn't exist in the modern NHL for a reason. The cost was devastating.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
No they don't, we had to legislate that in... A lesson learned to what we lost with Lindros and the gaps in Crosby's career.

i guess they do things like this.....

classy

pretty sure this could do just as much damage, but it didnt so we wont talk about it......

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011

What happened to Lindros was unfortunate. He was really a unicorn in terms of the talent he possessed to go along with his physical package. That was a huge loss, to me the first moment where you said is allowing some of this really worth not getting to see Lindros play. It was legal at the time, and I know people have a garbage take that Stevens wouldn't adjust he would he had the greatest timing in the game. But it is a hit that doesn't exist in the modern NHL for a reason. The cost was devastating.

Crosbys concussions were bad luck and all stemmed from incidental contact hits moreso than skating with his head down. Concussions can happen to anybody it doesn't take much hopefully McDavid has better luck.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i guess they do things like this.....

classy

If you are looking for classy perhaps you're following the wrong sport.

Howe and Messier did things that would abhor most these days.

Lindros was cut from a similar cloth. In my opinion only Howe, Shore and Lindros can claim being not only the best player in the league but the most feared physical player in the league at the same time. Intimidation was a big part of who they were. Lindros got his justice for some, but again there is a reason you cannot do what happened there anymore.

But the point of Lindros was McDavid is the best young player I have seen since Lindros. He has a special potential to actually threaten Mount Rushmore for me.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
If you are looking for classy perhaps you're following the wrong sport.

Howe and Messier did things that would abhor most these days.

Lindros was cut from a similar cloth. In my opinion only Howe, Shore and Lindros can claim being not only the best player in the league but the most feared physical player in the league at the same time. Intimidation was a big part of who they were. Lindros got his justice for some, but again there is a reason you cannot do what happened there anymore.

nah lindros was a punk. sorry if you liked him but he was dirtier than anyone you mentioned. sorry for what happened to him but karmas a bitch. what lindros did there wasnt part of the game even back then........

lindros isnt near the mount rushmore. dunno why you love him so much tbh. dont forget crosby, malkin, ovi..... all came after lindros.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
-Needs Cups and way, way, way better playoff numbers. Mcdavid could win 20 Art Ross trophy, but his playoff numbers are dismal and as bad as Austin Matthews if thats even possible

If Mcdavid wins 20 Art Rosses he goes down as the best player in league history even if he never makes the playoffs again.

Quite the impressive post though. Keep adding your quality posts to the pile! It's bringing the whole place up a notch!

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Lol....I agree with you on Hall. Absolute stud but calm down boy, The Oilers did not have the 1st overall for 10 years straight. And McDavid in his first 3 years has now clearly demonstrated he is separate from the field and that gap will only widen. Please educate yourself before running rampant like a rabid chihuahua

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad