How can McDavid pass Malkin all time?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
They both have 2 Art Ross, both have a Hart, Ted Lindsay (CM most likely will win another this year). Malkin has a Conn Smythe (a DOMINANT one), and 3 cups on him.

What does McDavid need to do to pass Malkin all time?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Carve out a better career than Malkin.

Longetivity. More elite seasons. I don't know what to say. He's on the right track for sure. It's not like there's anything specific that would suddenly make him surpass a veteran all-time great like Malkin.

Reactions: TGWL

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I think he can. Unlike Malkin, McDavid needs to continue being healthy. When it comes to the regular season hardware, I’m confident McDavid will eclipse Malkin and relatively soon.

Playoffs are a different story as Cups are a team achievement and let’s be real: the Penguins are a better team than what McDavid has with the Oilers. There’s only so much an invidual can do for a team.

There’s also a certain pro Crosby everything guy who constantly mentions McDavids playoff performance, but considering he’s played only 13 games, it’s not a big enough sample size to determine if he’ll be successful or not, no matter what that guy says.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Remain healthy, and be on a few competitive teams that can compete for the Cup. He's already on track to surpass Malkin

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
At this point if McDavid doesn't pass Malkin it will be a disappointment almost.

He's clearly pacing ahead.

Crosby would be the harder target to reach imo. But that is certainly a possibility.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I think he can. Unlike Malkin, McDavid needs to continue being healthy. When it comes to the regular season hardware, I’m confident McDavid will eclipse Malkin and relatively soon.

Playoffs are a different story as Cups are a team achievement and let’s be real: the Penguins are a better team than what McDavid has with the Oilers. There’s only so much an invidual can do for a team.

There’s also a certain pro Crosby everything guy who constantly mentions McDavids playoff performance, but considering he’s played only 13 games, it’s not a big enough sample size to determine if he’ll be successful or not, no matter what that guy says.
when you try to argue against someone with only 13 games played, it's not worth arguing with them anymore because they lost all credibility

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Needs Cups and way, way, way better playoff numbers. Mcdavid could win 20 Art Ross trophy, but his playoff numbers are dismal and as bad as Austin Matthews if thats even possible

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
[QUOTEWhat does McDavid need to do to pass Malkin all time? ][/QUOTE]

Not being made of glass would be a start.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
He needs to either:

a) get traded to a better team then the Oilers
b) pray the owner smartens up, fires Chiarelli and gives the team an actual GM who can build a proper team

Reactions: yababy

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
By hfboards standards, stay healthy and keep doing what he's doing, basically.

By real world standards, he'll need to win a few cups and/or gold medals too.

Reactions: Mean Gene

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
By hfboards standards, stay healthy and keep doing what he's doing, basically.

By real world standards, he'll need to win a few cups and/or gold medals too.

So get traded to an actual hockey team and win team achievements and he's the better individual hockey player? Sounds about right for HF logic. :facepalm: Daver is that you?

Reactions: Zuluss

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I think Mcdavid surpasses Malkin and i hate this term but and it isnt even close.

Crosby is the one he is gunning for.

Jan 21, 2018

Wow even now we still hear excuses. The Oilers have a decade of lottery picks, several of them 1st overalls including one of them being a generational talent. McDavid has been given more talent to play with than any other star, don't blame the team. Blame the GM.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
At this point if McDavid doesn't pass Malkin it will be a disappointment almost.

He's clearly pacing ahead.

Crosby would be the harder target to reach imo. But that is certainly a possibility.
There's no chance he doesn't pass Crosby. If mcdavid doesn't get injured during his peak like sid then he will have the best career since peak lemieux. There's a chance that he might reach that level of dominance, his speed is such an anomaly when you put it together with his other hockey talents. The game where he scored 4 he had about 3 or 4 more open lanes/breakaways to the net where he didn't score. All just because of his speed

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Win more cups and Conn Smythe's than Malkin

He can easily pass Malkin's career accomplishments (or Ovechkin or Crosby for that matter) without either of those things. He can have two 50 goal seasons for instance and finish with 600 more points than Malkin when their careers are over, or win four more Ross' than Malkin. That would make his career better.

Regular season stuff is separate from playoff stuff, team stuff is different from individual stuff. Manning way better player than Brady for 16 games, Brady way better than Manning for the other 3 or 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad