How 'bout we talk coaching candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
One vote for cheap young coach ready for his first NHL coaching gig. Whoever that dude is.

Neutral on Eakins.

Pass on expensive Old coach Q.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
It was pretty obvious he wasn't Burke's guy at the time. When he became the GM he gave something like a one-year offer worth the same money for Babcock and gave him a week to decide. Burke was asked to give more time and put more money on the table, but he played hardball and Babs declined.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
To be fair that was an era in 05-06 & 06-07 where most teams still had 1 to 3 enforcers on their rosters & a variety of Moen like goons that land hits & drop the gloves. Carlyle's style was more effective in that era.

It seems like ancient time ago when looking at the penalty minute producers who played on the 06-07 team: Fedoruk, Brad May, Shawn Thornton, Sean O'Donnell, Shane O'Brien, George Parros, Travis Moen, Rob Niedermayer. Strangely enough both Selanne & Scott Niedermayer had 80+ penalty minutes. Moen, O'Brien & Parros had over 100 PIM each.
What? Babcock went 162-56-28 the 3 years in Detroit after leaving Anaheim, was the higher seed and debatably the better team in the playoffs, and went two the next two Cup Finals in 2008-09. Babcock left for a team with better owners.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What? Babcock went 162-56-28 the 3 years in Detroit after leaving Anaheim, was the higher seed and debatably the better team in the playoffs, and went two the next two Cup Finals in 2008-09. Babcock left for a team with better owners.
? I'm not debating who was better between them as we all know Babcock was superior.
Just saying Carlyle wasn't as bad in that era cause of the kinds of players that were more common in the league back then. As soon as things changed Carlyle was revealed for the Dinosaur that he is.
Its not surprising that the Leafs average the lowest amount of PIM per game under Babcock, it was like that on those Red Wings teams.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
? I'm not debating who was better between them as we all know Babcock was superior.
Just saying Carlyle wasn't as bad in that era cause of the kinds of players that were more common in the league back then. As soon as things changed Carlyle was revealed for the Dinosaur that he is.
Its not surprising that the Leafs average the lowest amount of PIM per game under Babcock, it was like that on those Red Wings teams.
Ohhhhhh, I misread that as “RC was a better coach than Babcock back then” rather than “RC’s style worked better back then”. My bad.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Another vote for Eakins what with the young guys coming up. But it's such a Bob move to hire someone like Kevin Dineen for a year or two because there will still be a lot of "veteran presence" and the Ducklings won't be seasoned enough.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
i wish ralph krueger was willing to coach again

he actually managed to get something out of those horrendous oilers squads led by hall and RNH

Q isn't coming here and its not like ownership would be willing to pay him anyways, lol @ mclellan, yeo, or bylsma. i'll stop being a ducks fan if any of those guys are hired. i'd be fine with eakins in all honesty

This is the issue. What makes anyone thing that Q wants to coach a rebuilding team or, for that matter, that he would be a good fit for that scenario Q is a great coach for a team competing for the cup.

yeah carlyle was one of the hotter names on the market when he was hired in 05 if i remember correctly. two stints as HC of the manitoba moose and a couple seasons as an assistant with washington

babcock was pretty much a nobody when he was hired. he'd coached in the WHL for some years and then a couple seasons as HC of the cincy mighty ducks

looking back on burke's decision to bring in RC to replace babcock is laughable now but i guess it wasn't that crazy at the time. just a classic case of a new FO wanting to bring in their own guy

My recollection was that Babcock left to take his "dream job" in Detroit. Did Burke run him off? I don't recall hearing that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
This is the issue. What makes anyone thing that Q wants to coach a rebuilding team or, for that matter, that he would be a good fit for that scenario Q is a great coach for a team competing for the cup.

My recollection was that Babcock left to take his "dream job" in Detroit. Did Burke run him off? I don't recall hearing that.

no but if i remember correctly burke offered him a measly 1 year deal likely out of courtesy and babcock obviously turned it down and immediately began negotiating with detroit

burke brought carlyle to instill an "offense first" plan

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Another vote for Eakins what with the young guys coming up. But it's such a Bob move to hire someone like Kevin Dineen for a year or two because there will still be a lot of "veteran presence" and the Ducklings won't be seasoned enough.

What's wrong with Dineen?

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
What's wrong with Dineen?
I don't think there's anything wrong with Dineen, it just seems like such a meh move. I would just rather see Eakins be given a shot if the roster is going to be younger since he's had a chance to grow with kids as well. Plus I don't think it's a bad thing having a coach that's a fitness junkie.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To be fair that was an era in 05-06 & 06-07 where most teams still had 1 to 3 enforcers on their rosters & a variety of Moen like goons that land hits & drop the gloves. Carlyle's style was more effective in that era.

It seems like ancient time ago when looking at the penalty minute producers who played on the 06-07 team: Fedoruk, Brad May, Shawn Thornton, Sean O'Donnell, Shane O'Brien, George Parros, Travis Moen, Rob Niedermayer. Strangely enough both Selanne & Scott Niedermayer had 80+ penalty minutes. Moen, O'Brien & Parros had over 100 PIM each.

If you think that was something you need to just go a couple seasons past that. For all the talk about how the game has changed, those years were actually when it changed. That Ducks team was far from the norm and that's why they stood out.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
No, Burke just wasn’t ready to give him an extension. He didn’t boot him out the door though.

Burke pretty much did. He offered him a one year extension, mostly just to say he did, knowing Babcock would never take it.

It goes to show that quite often managers value their own guys or making their own choices more than anything objective(although it was quite fair at the time to be skeptical of Babcock). It's a big reason I'll probably always be a proponent of Murray's, theres a really good chance that if he goes then guys like Madden do too.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Based on Bob's contract extension comments, it sounds like retirement will be his next team. Can't see him starting over somewhere else now. Of course I can't see him ever getting fired here either so there's that too.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

"To be fair" about what?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Selanne seems too emotional to be a HC. Scotty seems better suited, though neither have shown much interest I think.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
We don't need to start a good old boys club here. Neither Teemu or Scotty have coached before, and both seem quite happy with enjoying their retirement. No to both other than an occasional consultant type role.
If they're going to start a boys club with players from the Cup team then the staff behind the bench should be Pahlsson-Moen-RobbyNieds. Let's keep Scotty in his off-ice role.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marchant transition to the coaching side.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If they're going to start a boys club with players from the Cup team then the staff behind the bench should be Pahlsson-Moen-RobbyNieds. Let's keep Scotty in his off-ice role.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marchant transition to the coaching side.

I kind of would because I think he might be the next GM. I've wondered if they've been grooming him a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad