How 'bout we talk coaching candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I think it's Gronborg, and I think this is why Murray took over behind the bench.
And why he's trying to extend Silf! :eek:

I like the thought of Gronberg, I feel like some fresh blood is needed in the league with all these recycled coaches. It's a bit of a gamble, and Murray would have to evolve somewhat to give a coach from Europe a roster that fits his style.

I've convinced myself it's Eakins though. That comment about not wanting to disrupt SD was Murray tipping his hand IMO.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm not lobbying for Eakins but I did do some thinking about him prior to Randy's leaving.

He was considered a pretty hot commodity while coaching the Marlies before going to EDM. No doubt he made mistakes in EDM and yes some didn't look so good in public. But it was his first NHL HC gig. There's a boatload more pressure in Canada than in SoCal. Who knows what management told him about how to do his job upon his hire. Regardless, I think he was/is young enough that he truly could learn from his experience and know some of the things not to do next time around.

After moving on he took the job in SD. I haven't heard any public criticism of him directly or indirectly (about players called up being properly prepared). He seems to be having good success with a talented team this year. Many of whom could become the core in ANA for some years to come.

I want to see Bob look everywhere for the right coach, but I don't think it would be a bad decision if Eakins ends up with the job. Many folks see him as a potential front runner and give the Ducks budget limitations that could play well in his favor also.

But I'm definitely in the camp that does not want any of the old recycled NHL coaches seemingly mentioned. It's time to move on and find a coach who can develop the new and improved Ducks that Bob said were going to evolve this year but didn't.

Reactions: pesko

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Is Mike Yeo the guy that Minnesota fired & they massively improved after Boudreau was hired ?

He's also the guy whom the Blues restructured their entire staff for as the coach-in-waiting when Hitchcock was nearing his retirement, took over in the 2nd half and led them to that fluke run in 2017 (Jake Allen was the only reason they weren't swept in the first round, much less won that series against Minnesota in 5 games), then was such a disaster that he got fired barely 2 seasons later.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Even if they really think its Eakins right now, a lot can change. It was always suspected that when Walrus came there was some kind of understanding about him taking BB's job, and obviously that didn't remotely happen. Especially if BM makes this a lengthy process and some surprise candidates pop up. There's a few very big names that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see fired this spring.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To add, Eakins should probably be the heavy favorite, maybe overwhelmingly so. Murray's such an overcorrecter that it seems like a good bet the person hired will be someone with "upside" and not have much of an NHL track record. At the same time I'd think Gronberg is very unlikely, it's really not Murray's style and might be a really tough sell to ownership.

Murray kind of boxed himself in by taking a risk on a more proven guy last time around, now he'll probably lean towards a safe pick with upside and Eakins just fits it so well. Wildcard is if someone else shakes loose but I'd probably put money on Eakins at this point and bet heavily against guys like Yeo, McLellan and the like.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I would think a national team coach would cost a lot of money. I also wouldn't exactly call Bob progressive. My money is still on eakins.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I would think a national team coach would cost a lot of money. I also wouldn't exactly call Bob progressive. My money is still on eakins.
Not necessarily. I think Grönborg would be hungry for an NHL job and jump at the chance to prove himself.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wish ralph krueger was willing to coach again

he actually managed to get something out of those horrendous oilers squads led by hall and RNH

Q isn't coming here and its not like ownership would be willing to pay him anyways, lol @ mclellan, yeo, or bylsma. i'll stop being a ducks fan if any of those guys are hired. i'd be fine with eakins in all honesty

Reactions: KaseMeOutside
Oct 18, 2011
Eakins probably deserves the opportunity he was seen as a top coaching prospect before joining the Oilers and I think that stint shouldn't weigh heavily against him plus the organization knows what he's about already.

Gronberg is not the type of coach this organization is going to hire. There is nothing progressive about this organization

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I was thinking Babcock too. That was a pretty good hire. Can thank Bryan Murray for that.

I don't know if Babcock was a star candidate or anything, I can't remember that far back. I do remember Randy was a bit. Neither was anything like Eakins, though. The Oilers stint understandably made people forget but I've never seen a coaching prospect hyped like he was, probably never will, which is for the best.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The coach should fit the complexion of the team...if GMBM is going for a serious youth movement then someone like Eakins makes a lot of sense. If it is going to be more of the same then the coach really doesn't matter too much.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't know if Babcock was a star candidate or anything, I can't remember that far back. I do remember Randy was a bit. Neither was anything like Eakins, though. The Oilers stint understandably made people forget but I've never seen a coaching prospect hyped like he was, probably never will, which is for the best.
Babcock wasn't. He was a sort of out of the box psychology guy that needed a platform. He needed a break with a team that wasn't facing big expectations.

Carlyle was a get, the guy who was viewed as having put in his time as an assistant and now had the big ideas. Amazing in hindsight, but Burke chose him over Babcock(!) as the guy who could get the team to play an uptempo high scoring game.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah carlyle was one of the hotter names on the market when he was hired in 05 if i remember correctly. two stints as HC of the manitoba moose and a couple seasons as an assistant with washington

babcock was pretty much a nobody when he was hired. he'd coached in the WHL for some years and then a couple seasons as HC of the cincy mighty ducks

looking back on burke's decision to bring in RC to replace babcock is laughable now but i guess it wasn't that crazy at the time. just a classic case of a new FO wanting to bring in their own guy

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Babcock wasn't. He was a sort of out of the box psychology guy that needed a platform. He needed a break with a team that wasn't facing big expectations.

Carlyle was a get, the guy who was viewed as having put in his time as an assistant and now had the big ideas. Amazing in hindsight, but Burke chose him over Babcock(!) as the guy who could get the team to play an uptempo high scoring game.
To be fair that was an era in 05-06 & 06-07 where most teams still had 1 to 3 enforcers on their rosters & a variety of Moen like goons that land hits & drop the gloves. Carlyle's style was more effective in that era.

It seems like ancient time ago when looking at the penalty minute producers who played on the 06-07 team: Fedoruk, Brad May, Shawn Thornton, Sean O'Donnell, Shane O'Brien, George Parros, Travis Moen, Rob Niedermayer. Strangely enough both Selanne & Scott Niedermayer had 80+ penalty minutes. Moen, O'Brien & Parros had over 100 PIM each.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad