How 'bout we talk coaching candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wouldn't mind eakins at all but i really wish ralph krueger was willing to coach again

guy is one hell of a coach

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
'There’s no better man for the job in Anaheim' -- Why...

Interesting... Sounds like a full vote of confidence from a former player.
Yes it does, and I like the way Eakins approaches things with the players.

Also, some interesting quotes from Eakins when I looked up his time with Edmonton (and the Taylor Hall incident):

Ex-Oilers coach Dallas Eakins is perfectly correct about exactly why he got fired

Oilers’ Dallas Eakins, Taylor Hall discuss what a difference 48 hours makes after Saturday embarrassment

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Definitely great, but one throwaway line I wanted to touch on:

Has anyone else noticed that this is one of the more oft-repeated stories about Eakins and is held as a shining example of why he is such a bad coach despite it having nothing to do with coaching? It kind of gives me the impression that the media was so outraged over this that their profiles might not be the most fair and accurate.

A while ago on spittin’ chiclets they were talking about Eakins reputation among players and the one main complaint players had was that he would try and micromanage their calorie intake and control every single bit of food they put in their body. I’m all about nutritional guidance but for someone to come in a try to tell a 10 year vet who knows their body at that point what will work for them is a bit much.

No idea if he’s still like that, hopefully he’s eased off a little if he’s going to be our next head coach.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A while ago on spittin’ chiclets they were talking about Eakins reputation among players and the one main complaint players had was that he would try and micromanage their calorie intake and control every single bit of food they put in their body. I’m all about nutritional guidance but for someone to come in a try to tell a 10 year vet who knows their body at that point what will work for them is a bit much.

No idea if he’s still like that, hopefully he’s eased off a little if he’s going to be our next head coach.

There is also the question if he is even in a position, or is educated enough to know what the hell he’s talking about. Diets should be tailored to the individual, and it’s certainly not something you’ll just know. It does require a level of training and education.

In other words... was he just thinking he knew better? And why?

I’m a big proponent of a coach trying to get the most out of his players, but thinking they need to eat better is a hell of a lot different than actually being informed enough to put a diet together for them.

Reactions: Duck Off and Dryish

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
It's also one of the main things that has me concerned whenever someone quotes young players saying he's an amazing coach. Sure, someone that is really young and inexperienced and doesn't generally know how to get the most out of themselves performance-wise may benefit from having someone be the authority for them.

But when it comes to players who have established routines, who have seen a lot and know what works for them and what doesn't, what are the chances of that coaching style working? Especially if Eakins' methodology is one of "I just know better because I'm the coach and follow the times" instead of a mixture of actual expertise and dialogue with his players.

It's a very fast road to utter disaster if he tries to micromanage proven NHL players the same way he would with less professional AHL guys and a bunch of kids. Sure, if done right it could make him one of the best coaches in the league. But if done wrong, things go from bad to worse.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’m a big proponent of a coach trying to get the most out of his players, but thinking they need to eat better is a hell of a lot different than actually being informed enough to put a diet together for them.

Does anyone actually know if he did that? Or was it more like telling them to stop with all the beer and pizza when you guys party until 5 in the morning. Because all night post game partying wasn't exactly the best kept secret.

But ultimately, I think the Ducks would be in a position to know better than any of us if he learned from his time in EDM.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Does anyone actually know if he did that? Or was it more like telling them to stop with all the beer and pizza when you guys party until 5 in the morning. Because all night post game partying wasn't exactly the best kept secret.

But ultimately, I think the Ducks would be in a position to know better than any of us if he learned from his time in EDM.

Yeah, I have no clue. I want to say it’s unlikely, because it seems foolish. Your description seems far more probable.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I’m only going off the spittin chiclets podcast where they interview shitloads of current/ex nhl players and go through all their nhl stops. The ones who did play under Eakins at various points said he micromanaged meals and calorie intake.

Weirdly every time they interview an ex duck I expect to hear way worse things about Carlyle but none I’ve heard come on the show so far complain about him all that much. Even Whitney who publically tweeted negatively about his rehire said a few weeks ago that he didn’t really have anything against him and was only there for a year so couldn’t remember how effective he was as a coach.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I believe that, kind of fits why Andrew Ference recently went to bat for him, as he's a pretty healthy guy as it is and that likely wouldn't bug him. I also imagine that's something he'd learn from, and as someone else said, BM would know whether he has or not.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I’m only going off the spittin chiclets podcast where they interview ****loads of current/ex nhl players and go through all their nhl stops. The ones who did play under Eakins at various points said he micromanaged meals and calorie intake.

Weirdly every time they interview an ex duck I expect to hear way worse things about Carlyle but none I’ve heard come on the show so far complain about him all that much. Even Whitney who publically tweeted negatively about his rehire said a few weeks ago that he didn’t really have anything against him and was only there for a year so couldn’t remember how effective he was as a coach.

Whits almost seemed to get a kick out of him, which I can understand knowing guys who seem similar to Randy, and even that tweet was more about how all the players hated him, which I assumed he backed off from after finding out that the former guys didn't have a problem with it at the time.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
When Carlyle was fired the 2nd time i immediately thought of Carlyle's look alike Harris Yulin in that Scene from ScarFace where he gets fired by Al Pacino, Carlyle looks exactly like Harris Yulin

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Eakins is getting it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It has to be Eakins. If they're not planning on going with one of the big names then you'd have to figure he easily has the inside track.
Yeah, easiest transition and a personality they know. You'd think he'd be the heavy favorite.

kesboss

Angels from Anaheim
Dec 4, 2017
I saw some article where Schenn praised Eakins. Told that RC gave him 2 options (retire or AHL) and that he took his confidence. Said that talking with Eakins and playing for him was great.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It better be Eakins or that Swedish guy, now that Q has signed with Florida.
Panarin has all but signed with the Panthers in the offseason now that his former coach is there.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Keefe is always one who jumps to mind. Seems like a guy who will inevitably get an NHL gig at some point.
Im pretty sure he just re-signed a deal with whatever AHL team he is coaching in the last couple weeks. Not sure if that takes him out of the running for NHL jobs.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Murray is so old school and a crony... he's going to go through all the motions but its gonna be Eakins... or some other old pal from his past... hes not the type to go for a progressive/extreme hire.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I really hope Eakins gets his shot.

He eared his first shot and then got the unfortunate situation in EDM.
He has earned a second shot, especially when a lot of guys he is having success with are making the jump next year or the year after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->