Rumor: Horvat Rumblings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Name 9 players that have worn a Canucks sweater that are better goal scorers than 22-23 Bo Horvat.
Moving the goalposts in real time, huh? You said top 10 individual seasons.... just from forwards you have bure 3x, almo, naslund 3x, bertuzzi 2x, sedin 2-3x, sedin 2-3x, ep (this exact season), Kesler...then luongo who had multiple seasons that were better, QH, and you could argue other players like Linden, Schneider, McLean, maybe even Miller last season...more if you want to go back to the 70s and 80s. You could argue it's a top 20-30 season individually in a Canucks sweater if you are completely omitting team success from the picture and extrapolating his pace... but it's definitely not top 10. The fact you IMMEDIATELY moved the goal posts when challenged tells me you know that to be true

He's currently 22nd in scoring. Do we need to go down the list of Canucks that finished higher under your new definition? Scoring is just so much higher this season

Last edited:

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
So, unless I am missing someone, Vancouver media has indicated the following teams are interested in Horvat:

Boston
Buffalo
Calgary
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New Jersey
NYIslanders
NYRangers
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Washington
Winnipeg

And I bet if he does not get traded to one of those teams he will be locked up by the Canucks

GUARANTEED
VITAL information here !! :thumbu::laugh::P

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I think New Jersey should be aggressively chasing Hughes. They are really good. They should be pushing to win the Stanley Cup right now. Quinn Hughes would help them get that much closer to that goal, and let’s say they don’t win it this year but maybe win it next year or the year after that, they will have three brothers in the same lineup, and that is a pretty legendary thing. Stuff like that matters in the real world, if not on here where everyone is running around cosplaying Kyle Dubas.
NJ trading for Quinn Hughes is literally the last thing we need. We are loaded at D right now. As it stands we have Hamilton, Marino, Siegenthaler locked up long term & we have 2 more bluechip prospects in Luke Hughes & Nemec joining the team (Casey is also becoming a bluechip, Mukhamadullin, Bahl etc). On the other hand NJ is in a desperate need for a top 6 winger. Our cap space is running thin & there's only one more big move we can make & if we're doing it it's going to be for a big power forward. If we get Quinn we then can't acquire the player we desperately need. Besides we can just wait another 3 seasons and sign Quinn for free.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think New Jersey should be aggressively chasing Hughes. They are really good. They should be pushing to win the Stanley Cup right now. Quinn Hughes would help them get that much closer to that goal, and let’s say they don’t win it this year but maybe win it next year or the year after that, they will have three brothers in the same lineup, and that is a pretty legendary thing. Stuff like that matters in the real world, if not on here where everyone is running around cosplaying Kyle Dubas.

Their LHD side of their defense is set for the rest of the year. Graves, Siegs, Luke Hughes (after Michigan's season ends), Brendan Smith are already there. If Graves walks then a discussion begins about adding another LHD since rushing Luke Hughes into a top 4 role could be bad for him this early but if he destroys it in the playoffs then Graves will probably walk.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I agree in the thinking that LA is a better fit than most would think, with Kopitar's career winding down and Danault obviously being better suited as an elite 3C rather than a 2C. If Horvat went there, Danault could play 3C/wing (but take faceoffs) until either Kopitar retires or switches to wing himself, and Horvat could be a capable 1C until Byfield breaks out (hopefully). A deal of something like Grans + Kupari + cap dump (Arvidsson / Iafallo, to fit Horvat next year when Kopitar's 10M is still on the books) + lotto protected 1st in 23 or 24 would seem to make sense.

It would never happen, but things could get really wild if Demko comes with Horvat and Petersen (possible rehabilitation w/ Ian Clark?) goes the other way, but that would probably take too much from LA's side (you'd have to think Byfield / Vilardi swapping with one of those other pieces at that point).

LA has the prospect depth at wing and D that they could definitely add Horvat and compete throughout his prime without getting into too much cap trouble.
For Horvat and Demko I’d be more like Clarke, Byfield, and a first which is a lot but funnily enough LA would be the one team that could afford it and win another cup. That being said, would LA want to risk that much for a UFA and a goalie who has been injured all year? If it’s not a ridiculous offer pretty sure the Nucks just keep Demko.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
NJ trading for Quinn Hughes is literally the last thing we need. We are loaded at D right now. As it stands we have Hamilton, Marino, Siegenthaler locked up long term & we have 2 more bluechip prospects in Luke Hughes & Nemec joining the team (Casey is also becoming a bluechip, Mukhamadullin, Bahl etc). On the other hand NJ is in a desperate need for a top 6 winger. Our cap space is running thin & there's only one more big move we can make & if we're doing it it's going to be for a big power forward. If we get Quinn we then can't acquire the player we desperately need. Besides we can just wait another 3 seasons and sign Quinn for free.

Their LHD side of their defense is set for the rest of the year. Graves, Siegs, Luke Hughes (after Michigan's season ends), Brendan Smith are already there. If Graves walks then a discussion begins about adding another LHD since rushing Luke Hughes into a top 4 role could be bad for him this early but if he destroys it in the playoffs then Graves will probably walk.
I believe in being more aggressive than you guys seem to but I respect your posts.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Quinn is a fun idea as I joked earlier in this thread, but realistically it would also be too much an "eggs in one basket" type of trade. Him and Horvat would really deplete our A-level prospect pool. I assume a trade would be something like:

For Horvat (extended):
- 2023 1st + Kevin Bahl level player
And then for Hughes:
- 2024 1st
- Alex Holtz
- Simon Nemec
- Ryan Graves (or assets he receives going to another team)

We'd then have a hole at RD as there's no way we could fit extending Severson. I don't think Casey would ready to step in to a full time role so soon.

It would result in a good/great line up, but there would little room for error as we wouldn't have much depth beyond it. And if a guy like Horvat doesn't pan out and address the obvious hole we have up front, I don't know how much Q. Hughes can make up for that with what he brings.

It's Meier or bust for NJ. In a few years Hamilton comes off the books, Palat could be bought out, and then we could look to fit Quinn in NJ.

There's a balancing game to be had with contracts: you need some good young talent on cheap ELCs during some runs. That's why Nemec (and L. Hughes) are untouchable. To swap that some of that out for $16M+ worth of contracts (albeit good players) could backfire badly. Holtz and lower, and our next two years of 1st are game though. And those aren't getting Q. Hughes.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDuffz88

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Moving the goalposts in real time, huh? You said top 10 individual seasons.... just from forwards you have bure 3x, almo, naslund 3x, bertuzzi 2x, sedin 2-3x, sedin 2-3x, ep (this exact season), Kesler...then luongo who had multiple seasons that were better, QH, and you could argue other players like Linden, Schneider, McLean, maybe even Miller last season...more if you want to go back to the 70s and 80s. You could argue it's a top 20-30 season individually in a Canucks sweater if you are completely omitting team success from the picture and extrapolating his pace... but it's definitely not top 10. The fact you IMMEDIATELY moved the goal posts when challenged tells me you know that to be true

He's currently 22nd in scoring. Do we need to go down the list of Canucks that finished higher under your new definition? Scoring is just so much higher this season
Lol. Perhaps I wasn't fully accounting for multiples from one player, but an "individual season" can be highlighted by anything. I'd say goal-scoring is a pretty good one to focus on...

The fact that he's got 31 goals in 49 games extrapolates pretty easily to a top 10 individual performance for us.
There have only been 12 instances of a player hitting 40 goals in a season for the Canucks, 3 of which were Pavel Bure alone.

Anyways, my point was more that... the Canucks haven't had many elite individual seasons, and Bo Horvat is an absolute beauty who will leave a massive cleft in this team when he leaves.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Quinn is a fun idea as I joked earlier in this thread, but realistically it would also be too much an "eggs in one basket" type of trade. Him and Horvat would really deplete our A-level prospect pool. I assume a trade would be something like:

For Horvat (extended):
- 2023 1st + Kevin Bahl level player
And then for Hughes:
- 2024 1st
- Alex Holtz
- Simon Nemec
- Ryan Graves (or assets he receives going to another team)

We'd then have a hole at RD as there's no way we could fit extending Severson. I don't think Casey would ready to step in to a full time role so soon.

It would result in a good/great line up, but there would little room for error as we wouldn't have much depth beyond it. And if a guy like Horvat doesn't pan out and address the obvious hole we have up front, I don't know how much Q. Hughes can make up for that with what he brings.

It's Meier or bust for NJ. In a few years Hamilton comes off the books, Palat could be bought out, and then we could look to fit Quinn in NJ.

There's a balancing game to be had with contracts: you need some good young talent on cheap ELCs during some runs. That's why Nemec (and L. Hughes) are untouchable. To swap that some of that out for $16M+ worth of contracts (albeit good players) could backfire badly. Holtz and lower, and our next two years of 1st are game though. And those aren't getting Q. Hughes.
When Hughes called Canucks team and med staff over Pearson, i wondered if that put him in play.
And with Fitz saying he seeks a top 6 wing, concocted this on the plane: '23 1st, Mercer, Holtz, Mukaladine(sp?), Severson, Boquist for Quinn, Boesser.
No clue if either fanbase would think its fair enough. Sure would make Devils scarier opponent, and give Vancouver nice bits for retool.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
When Hughes called Canucks team and med staff over Pearson, i wondered if that put him in play.
And with Fitz saying he seeks a top 6 wing, concocted this on the plane: '23 1st, Mercer, Holtz, Mukaladine(sp?), Severson, Boquist for Quinn, Boesser.
No clue if either fanbase would think its fair enough. Sure would make Devils scarier opponent, and give Vancouver nice bits for retool.
Who knows what Cancucks Management will want. Fans want Nemec or bust in any deal involving Quinn to NJD. The only way I see Quinn being traded to NJD is if Jack and Luke go to Management and say they want Quinn on the team with the. Asap. Management will trade for him if their star forward and future star dman push for him. Gotta keep them happy.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Lol. You guys are awesome. "We don't need him! But he'll sign here for free before his contract even expires!"

• Haha
Reactions: Love and Canucks LB

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I really do wonder if he survives the nine day break here, I feel there’s a good chance he’s gone.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Lots of general managers, watching Columbus in Vancouver.

Leafs are apparently looking at Gavrikov

Reactions: Joel Ward

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
For Horvat and Demko I’d be more like Clarke, Byfield, and a first which is a lot but funnily enough LA would be the one team that could afford it and win another cup. That being said, would LA want to risk that much for a UFA and a goalie who has been injured all year? If it’s not a ridiculous offer pretty sure the Nucks just keep Demko.
No team gives up that much, come on dude.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
We will wait for Quinn for free
Vancouver can also wait for Jack Hughes for free. People think these high end players will walk for free without being traded and extended before hitting free agency. Maybe once Quinn hits 36 years old you will get him for free

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Vancouver can also wait for Jack Hughes for free. People think these high end players will walk for free without being traded and extended before hitting free agency. Maybe once Quinn hits 36 years old you will get him for free
You do realize Quinn only has 4 more years left right? You're in denial if you don't think he's walking away from that dumpster fire of a team. Quinn aint going to be in Van at age 36...Jack just signed an 8 year contact & will have his younger bro joining the team in a year, he's also on a team built to be competitive for the next 10 years. When Quinns contract is almost up he has all the power & if he's set on going to NJ to go win a cup with his 2 brothers then nothing is going to stop him. Just like no one could stop Fox from going to the Rangers.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
You do realize Quinn only has 4 more years left right? You're in denial if you don't think he's walking away from that dumpster fire of a team. Quinn aint going to be in Van at age 36...Jack just signed an 8 year contact & will have his younger bro joining the team in a year, he's also on a team built to be competitive for the next 10 years. When Quinns contract is almost up he has all the power & if he's set on going to NJ to go win a cup with his 2 brothers then nothing is going to stop him. Just like no one could stop Fox from going to the Rangers.
As long as you guys have 10 mil in spare cap space, meaning most of of your prospects have busted and aren't eating any.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
For Horvat AND Demko...we aren't talking chopped livers here. That's a starting goalie and a 1st line center. What do you think the return is? Just a 1st round pick?
One, Horvat isn't a 1st line C, he's a having a great year so far, but nobody thinks he's a 1st line C and he certainly wouldn't be on the Kings.

Two, no team gives up two blue chippers for a rental and a goalie, it doesn't happen and it certainly wouldn't here, rentals don't have that kind of value and there is far too much parody with goalies, hence why they don't get returns like that, not to mention a 1st on top of that.

Trades like this simply don't happen with returns like that.

If we traded both, Demko would have to be healthy and would have to show as much on the ice, and we would get good prospects (not blue chippers), 1st rounder(s), 2nd and 3rd rounders, some sort of mix of that.

StevensRocks

May 18, 2021
So your going to sign a 38 year old Quinn Hughes, thats
What about Luke?

As long as you guys have 10 mil in spare cap space, meaning most of of your prospects have busted and aren't eating any.
Hamilton rolls off…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad