Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You don't pay for XBL or PS+?
You can't even play most games on consoles without a yearly subscription to their online service.
It's a scam and people fall for it. Multiplayer should be free like it is on PCs.

Wow, what have I been doing with my life. You definitely got me partner, you win. You are the superior game player.

Reactions: Coffey

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
then you have to install said part into your computer...

and I haven't bought a new console in 4 years and it functions as my home entertainment system
in any case, the best games are usually on consoles IMO then ported to computers later

Depends on what you are into really. Nintendo games are an experience you can't get anywhere else. People who play RTS games or MMOs probably want to be playing on PC. I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk and Elder Scrolls, both will be out on PC immediately, so other than the Switch I don't have much interest in a console atm.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Depends on what you are into really. Nintendo games are an experience you can't get anywhere else. People who play RTS games or MMOs probably want to be playing on PC. I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk and Elder Scrolls, both will be out on PC immediately, so other than the Switch I don't have much interest in a console atm.
fair enough MMOs aren't my thing and other than RTS' like Civilization 6, no true PC games is interesting to me

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That's what the internet is for, maaaaaaaan.
Yes, the internet is for discussing things... You, (presumably) an adult, are arguing with another (presumable) adult about what is the 'best' way to play a video game... I'm a HUGE gamer, but come on, maaaaaaan.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Yes, the internet is for discussing things... You, (presumably) an adult, are arguing with another (presumable) adult about what is the 'best' way to play a video game... I'm a HUGE gamer, but come on, maaaaaaan.
You are also spending your time telling adults what topics shouldn't be debated on.
Let's get out of the baby boomer mindset and just discuss anything, who cares what it is and don't shame others for it lol

Reactions: shmotz

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
You are also spending your time telling adults what topics shouldn't be debated on.
Let's get out of the baby boomer mindset and just discuss anything, who cares what it is and don't shame others for it lol
"Baby boomer mindset" ? wtf are you talking about? lol

It's 2018, we are more technologically advanced than we've ever been. Video games are more accessible than they've ever been. consoles are highly advanced, PC's are highly advanced. Every consumer knows the benefits and drawbacks of each. Arguing about what the "best" way to play a video game is like arguing about what color of the rainbow is the best...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You would literally die if you consume too much alcohol/drugs, sounds like a pretty major difference to me. But by all means, please educate us how video games are just as deadly.
Do you really need him to explain that something can f*** up your life even if it doesn't kill you instantly?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Who are you (or even the team owners, coaches or GMs of the NHL) to tell your players how to spend your free time as long as they show up in shape to training camp?

I wanted to quote this post again and bold this part right here.

Actually, it's in the power of the coaches and especially the GM to decide what personell they want on their team. If they think a couple of players are not benefical to the larger group, rightly or wrongly, they can trade, waive, buy out or simply not extend the contract with those players. So one could argue they are doing these guys a favour telling them to stop a behaviour that's gonna decrease their chances of staying with their team and maybe ultimately in the NHL.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Do you really need him to explain that something can **** up your life even if it doesn't kill you instantly?

I am sorry, I thought drugs and alcohol are actually more dangerous than video games, clearly I was mistaken and video games ruin just as many lives. Silly me.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And one is far more competitive and requires much more skills to play, and strategy when you attain higher levels.

Just because a game is competitive doesn't mean it isn't a shitty game some of the recent NHL games have been pretty shit but are still competitive at higher levels. Fortnite blows. Eventually Fortnite will fade away just like all other fad games. Meanwhile games with immersive storylines that are actually well thought out by developers and aren't just riding the recent wave of what's cool to casual gamers will continue to stick around for decades. The battle royal genre is somewhat fresh, especially to casual console gamers, so it is riding a wave right now. It will fade in time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just because a game is competitive doesn't mean it isn't a ****ty game some of the recent NHL games have been pretty **** but are still competitive at higher levels. Fortnite blows. Eventually Fortnite will fade away just like all other fad games. Meanwhile games with immersive storylines that are actually well thought out by developers and aren't just riding the recent wave of what's cool to casual gamers will continue to stick around for decades. The battle royal genre is somewhat fresh, especially to casual console gamers, so it is riding a wave right now. It will fade in time.
You make a mistake of assuming your taste is everyones taste and that the playability of Fallout and the likes is equal to Fortnite for casual gamers.

The industry is not defined only by the hardcore gaming type, it's defined by every one.

Also, it doesn't make you more of an authority on gaming if you play games with a narrower fan base.

Games like Fortnite, LOL, DOTA, CSGO, Overwatch, WOW, d2 d3, Smash, R6 will always have a bigger community than Fallout, on replayablity and on accessibility. It's been said many times about LOL, the game will die, and it's still about 80 million strong monthly to 20 millions raw sales for Fallout.

Reactions: LaVar

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Its funny becasue I have no idea what your even saying, but it sounds super lame.

I bet your a super fun guy to be around at parties though eh?

Yeah, PC gaming is sooooo much better with all the mature adults like that guy around. No ridiculous egos or childish insults on that platform, nuh uh.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
IF they play together... Five or six players staying in three different hotel rooms playing video games isn't team bonding. And it's not being banned. They can play when they are home.
It's banned on road games. Straight up.
Gaming being mainstream has nothing to do with anything we are discussing. I'm not saying gaming should be banned in society. I have been addicted to gaming myself, and I've always been skinny so I'm aware not all gamers look like that. Anyway, you can be skinny or normally built and be unhealthy. And recent studies in Sweden shows that 80 year olds are excersising more than young men (in Sweden).
Except it has everything to do with what we're discussing. Gaming being mainstream means that slapping the label "gamer" onto someone has become essentially useless, since such a large percentage of the world's population have become "gamers". You don't call people "TV watchers" or "music listeners" as well, right?

And I would like to see this study, because I have serious doubts that the lack of exercise of young men in Sweden has a causal link to video games alone. They might play a role in it, but I would be willing to bet A LOT of money that it's not the sole cause.

Pro gamers often have sponsors, so they have more spare time to excersice than your average gamer. And again, the study I'm talking about tells a different story about gamers. Well, actually about young men, but it's obvious that gaming is part of reason along with benchwatching tv series. I'm not saying normal gamers can't excersice. I'm saying regular gaming isn't beneficial for a pro athlete. I don't define playing some mario kart while riding the airpline "regular gaming".
Again, would be cool if you can link the study. I'm always willing to learn.

And I feel like we mostly agree on all points, but we just have chosen the opposite hill to die on in terms of definitions and minor details.
Defining a "regular gamer" is entirely subjective anyway. Is some dude who plays Hearthstone for an hour on his phone twice per day while he is riding the train to his workplace a "regular gamer"? Because he clocks in at at least two hours per day, but still might have a completely normal and healthy lifestyle otherwise.

If you bake an unhealthy obsession with video games into the definition of "regular gamer" already, it's obviously impossible to see it as something in any way healthy.
Bolded part is the key here. Players should show up ready and in good shape, not only for training camp, but for every practice, every game and every team meeting. In all likelyhood some of the Canucks players have failed to do so. I mean, why else would we be here? As you are saying, gaming isn't new and players have done it for years. Do you think Canucks management cares what games are being played, and they hate Fortnite more than other games so they must ban it on the road? That seems a little farfetch'd. This became a problem right now, and they decided to something about it.
I... agree? I have stated multiple times in this thread that doing something about someone struggling with signs of addiction is the right thing to do.
But I criticize HOW they are tackling the issue, not that they are recognizing it as a problem in the first place.

I still stand by my assertion that a flat out ban of a specific game on road games is not helping the locker room at all. As you very well know from your personal experience, when you are already addicted to something, you don't react too well to it being taken away from you.
Monitoring on road games (even if it means to ask the hotel to cut the power to his room at 22:00) should prove to be a lot more effective than banning the game for everyone.

We are not talking about offseason. We are talking about right now, when the Canucks are on the road trying to win games.
Then I'm not sure how stuff like "taking care of your family" even got brought up. When you are on the road, you probably don't have too much time for your family aside from the occasional Skype call.

But again, I agree with you on that something needs to be done if the behaviour of one or more players is starting to become worrisome.

I doubt Brent Burns does much WoW playing on the road to be honest. As for the bolded part I can see where you are coming from. But then on the other hand, the guys who aren't playing Fortnite that much probably won't suffer anyway. Especially since they can play it when they are home.
Yeah, that's fairly likely. But you never know, he might still log in half an hour each day to do some world quests.

And while I agree that it probably won't be a big deal to most players (hell, it seems to be a team decision anyway), but I still feel like that it shifts the blame towards the game instead of the behaviour of the individual, which I believe to be dangerous. Especially since the behaviour at home might escalate even further, as it's now his only way to play the game.

I wanted to quote this post again and bold this part right here.
Actually, it's in the power of the coaches and especially the GM to decide what personell they want on their team. If they think a couple of players are not benefical to the larger group, right or wrong, they can trade, waive, buy out or simply not extend the contract with those players. So one could argue they are doing these guys a favour telling them to stop a behaviour that's gonna diminish their chances of staying with their team and maybe ultimately in the NHL.
That's fair, but just because they are allowed to do it doesn't mean it's right that they are doing it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'd love to see an NHL player who played iRacing. Taking a wheel, pedals and rig all over the country with him.

Kosmo Kramer

Sep 10, 2014
Players decision, hopefully unanimous.

I would be pissed off as a member of the team that opposed it personally,
Not because of fortnite per se because that's not my jam.
But gaming in particular which is a terrific way to unwind and rest the muscles.

That said I have no problem shutting it off at bed time or going to work or working around the house.
For those that can manage it...I would be mad.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You make a mistake of assuming your taste is everyones taste and that the playability of Fallout and the likes is equal to Fortnite for casual gamers.

The industry is not defined only by the hardcore gaming type, it's defined by every one.

Also, it doesn't make you more of an authority on gaming if you play games with a narrower fan base.

Games like Fortnite, LOL, DOTA, CSGO, Overwatch, WOW, d2 d3, Smash, R6 will always have a bigger community than Fallout, on replayablity and on accessibility. It's been said many times about LOL, the game will die, and it's still about 80 million strong monthly to 20 millions raw sales for Fallout.

Oh for sure it sells but Justin Bieber sells millions of records doesn't mean he's great. Casual gamers are what's wrong with gaming today. They pump millions into shit games and the actual good features and games get put to the wayside so that gaming companies can cater to the millions of casual one-off gamers because it means more money for their shareholders and in their wallets.

I never said I was an authority on gaming, I just said Fortnite sucks. LOL is only 9 years old and it to sucks, get back at me when it has two decades of strong fans. Of course online games will always have more replayability the entire platform is built around replayability. Add to the fact that you have millionaires and sponsors throwing money at it by helping to set up competitive networks so they can get rich off it and no shit they are more popular. That doesn't mean they are better. For a time nickelback was one of the best selling bands in the country and regularly sold out huge shows. Doesn't mean they didn't make shitty music.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
"Baby boomer mindset" ? wtf are you talking about? lol

It's 2018, we are more technologically advanced than we've ever been. Video games are more accessible than they've ever been. consoles are highly advanced, PC's are highly advanced. Every consumer knows the benefits and drawbacks of each. Arguing about what the "best" way to play a video game is like arguing about what color of the rainbow is the best...

As a console player, and someone who lives near the poverty line, it gets the job done until I have enough money to invest in a rig (which I'll be using for reasons other than gaming too).

I know PC gamers have an unyielding hatred of consoles, but some of us are just poor. :laugh:

I'm still building skills that I'll carry over to the PC when the time comes.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Oh for sure it sells but Justin Bieber sells millions of records doesn't mean he's great. Casual gamers are what's wrong with gaming today. They pump millions into **** games and the actual good features and games get put to the wayside so that gaming companies can cater to the millions of casual one-off gamers because it means more money for their shareholders and in their wallets.

I never said I was an authority on gaming, I just said Fortnite sucks. LOL is only 9 years old and it to sucks, get back at me when it has two decades of strong fans. Of course online games will always have more replayability the entire platform is built around replayability. Add to the fact that you have millionaires and sponsors throwing money at it by helping to set up competitive networks so they can get rich off it and no **** they are more popular. That doesn't mean they are better. For a time nickelback was one of the best selling bands in the country and regularly sold out huge shows. Doesn't mean they didn't make ****ty music.
Yeah, you probably dislike it because you're bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad