Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
What's funny is that Vancouver will still be a bad team and then people are going to troll them and say: "maybe you guys should be playing more video games"

Basically the approach to all of this was dumb by Bo. Bad optics and I'm sure he regrets answering the question the way he did and letting what goes on inside the lockerroom, leak out

Yeah that's really going to hurt their feelings.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Because its been badass fun ever since we started playing Golden Eye with buddies on N64, and we hate keyboard + mouse for gaming? Couches + big screens are more comfy. I could go on.
You didn't make any point. KBM is superior to thumbs.
And I can play KBM on the couch too lol

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Superior like how lol? Like you have more fun playing the exact same game that I do using kb + m? Thats a pretty bold claim son :laugh: :thumbu:

Also there seem to be more elitist nerds on computer. I just wanna causally jump into a game and not get berated by a bunch of neck beards living in their moms basements sometimes, ya know?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
There is no wisdom in this and may end up being dis-engaging versus engaging.

I can see that you're trying to do the right thing, but this is work at the end of the day. They can encourage to not play Fortnite, but banning it seems dictating versus leading.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Superior like how lol? Like you have more fun playing the same game than I do using kb + m? Thats a pretty bold claim son :laugh: :thumbu:

Also there seem to be more elitist nerds on computer. I just wanna causally jump into a game and not get berated by a bunch of neck beards living in their moms basements sometimes, ya know?
Funny how you think that comment applies to PCs. You're just gonna get berated by edgy 14 year olds or douchey bros on console.
Console plebs must love getting scammed into paying to play online too. What a joke.

plus, you don't have to spend a ton to upgrade your video card and RAM every other month in order to play a game
Please don't discuss the topic if you have zero knowledge in it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Awesome response by Laine. Bo Horvat shouldn't have mentioned this because now they're going to face a lot of smack talk from opposing players, and it's probably going to get on a lot of people's nerves.

Banning video games on the road isn't a bad idea at all, though. If you're travelling around the country (whether you're an athlete or average Joe), go see sites and experience the cities when you get time. Gaming should be the last thing on your mind when travelling.
There’s such little time that players get to do things on the road. You’re not practicing on game days. Majority of road trips contain 1 set of back to backs. Some sleep doctors recommend teams to stay in the same city rather than tying out and getting into the new hote room close to 3 am, especially if they have an off day the next day. So teams get back to their hote by 11pm and the players should be hitting the bed by 11:30. They would practice the next morning before grabbing lunch and hoping on a plane.

You land and go to the hotel and soon it’s dinner time. You might get that evening free to play if you want. We’re talking about 35 days where you are asked not to play over a 6 month period. It’s not a huge ask.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is so dumb, are these people incapable of exhibiting self control? You're a damn professional athlete, you shouldn't have to be told "no video games on the road" :laugh:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Funny how you think that comment applies to PCs. You're just gonna get berated by edgy 14 year olds or *****ey bros on console.
Console plebs must love getting scammed into paying to play online too. What a joke.

Please don't discuss the topic if you have zero knowledge in it.

Its funny becasue I have no idea what your even saying, but it sounds super lame.

I bet your a super fun guy to be around at parties though eh?

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

Lol I play on PC too, but are you really claiming to play split screen games with your friends with kbm? :laugh: That's when I break out the controllers and we have a blast.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Lol I play on PC too, but are you really claiming to play split screen games with your friends with kbm? :laugh: That's when I break out the controllers and we have a blast.
Nah I'm saying for people that always mention that controllers are a bonus cause you can play on the couch.
Split screen is controllers for everyone of course.
I know, I'm a nooooooooooob
Spoilers: You can upgrade a part every few years and it's usually cheaper than buying a whole new console.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Its funny becasue I have no idea what your even saying, but it sounds super lame.

I bet your a super fun guy to be around at parties though eh?
You don't pay for XBL or PS+?
You can't even play most games on consoles without a yearly subscription to their online service.
It's a scam and people fall for it. Multiplayer should be free like it is on PCs.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Spoilers: You can upgrade a part every few years and it's usually cheaper than buying a whole new console.
then you have to install said part into your computer...

and I haven't bought a new console in 4 years and it functions as my home entertainment system
in any case, the best games are usually on consoles IMO then ported to computers later

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
then you have to install said part into your computer...

and I haven't bought a new console in 4 years and it functions as my home entertainment system
in any case, the best games are usually on consoles IMO then ported to computers later
Well yea, if you mean dumbed down graphically and interface wise, then yea... You would be right.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
My point is, that bonding doesn't necessary need to be done in a very specific, old-boys-club-approved way. You can bond just as well by playing games together, take it from someone who has met some of his best bar hopping friends over the cord of a Gamecube controller and in MMOs. I seriously doubt that banning a fairly common hobby is in any way productive for a good locker room atmosphere.

IF they play together... Five or six players staying in three different hotel rooms playing video games isn't team bonding. And it's not being banned. They can play when they are home.

Your data might be a tad bit outdated in this regard. Especially since most people that are 30 or under are playing video games to varying degrees. Especially since smartphones came around. The "average gamer" isn't looking like this anymore. Gaming as a hobby has been mainstream for a LONG time, the industry is even more lucrative than the movie and music industries COMBINED these days.

Gaming being mainstream has nothing to do with anything we are discussing. I'm not saying gaming should be banned in society. I have been addicted to gaming myself, and I've always been skinny so I'm aware not all gamers look like that. Anyway, you can be skinny or normally built and be unhealthy. And recent studies in Sweden shows that 80 year olds are excersising more than young men (in Sweden).

Even pro gamers, or moreso ESPECIALLY pro gamers, tend to be in shape since it's also benefitial to their mental abilities and reaction time. You barely ever see obese pro gamers these days. Normal gamers are essentially equivalent to normal people. They might be working out at the side, go for a jog each morning and even try to eat healthy. Just like a non-gamer might do those things.

Pro gamers often have sponsors, so they have more spare time to excersice than your average gamer. And again, the study I'm talking about tells a different story about gamers. Well, actually about young men, but it's obvious that gaming is part of reason along with benchwatching tv series. I'm not saying normal gamers can't excersice. I'm saying regular gaming isn't beneficial for a pro athlete. I don't define playing some mario kart while riding the airpline "regular gaming".

Uhm. Yeah. But that's kinda my point as well.
Who are you (or even the team owners, coaches or GMs of the NHL) to tell your players how to spend your free time as long as they show up in shape to training camp? If they don't have a family to take care of and don't want to bother with a degree yet, why shouldn't they be allowed to spend their time how they like to?

Bolded part is the key here. Players should show up ready and in good shape, not only for training camp, but for every practice, every game and every team meeting. In all likelyhood some of the Canucks players have failed to do so. I mean, why else would we be here? As you are saying, gaming isn't new and players have done it for years. Do you think Canucks management cares what games are being played, and they hate Fortnite more than other games so they must ban it on the road? That seems a little farfetch'd. This became a problem right now, and they decided to something about it.

There's nothing wrong with choosing to play video games in the off season instead of spending the time at a beach somewhere or going for a long fishing trip. You are acting as if playing video games is inherently incompatible with raising a family, living a healthy lifestyle or getting an university degree. It's not. Believe me. Otherwise my generation will more likely than not be the last generation alive on this planet.

We are not talking about offseason. We are talking about right now, when the Canucks are on the road trying to win games.

They have. Brent Burns has pretty much said that he plays World of Warcraft, numerous players play the NHL games by EA, the Blackhawks play Mario Kart on the road IIRC. If it becomes an issue, monitor the players with the problem instead of outright banning it for everyone. It's not that hard.

I doubt Brent Burns does much WoW playing on the road to be honest. As for the bolded part I can see where you are coming from. But then on the other hand, the guys who aren't playing Fortnite that much probably won't suffer anyway. Especially since they can play it when they are home.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00