Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
I've only played one match. Didn't to amazing, didn't do bad. Instantly hated it.
So you're saying a game blows after only playing one match?

How does your opinion mean anything then?

I've never played Fallout, but at the same time would never call it trash without even giving it a chance.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So you're saying a game blows after only playing one match?

How does your opinion mean anything then?

I've never played Fallout, but at the same time would never call it trash without even giving it a chance.

I think one match is a fair chance. More than enough time to form an opinion about a game that is built around the same formula that every game seems to be built on lately. I can play one game of NFL and tell you whether I like it or not as well. It's not that deep of a game. Even though the people that love it seem to think it is.

It's a garbage game cashing in on a fad.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
I think one match is a fair chance. More than enough time to form an opinion about a game that is built around the same formula that every game seems to be built on lately. I can play one game of NFL and tell you whether I like it or not as well. It's not that deep of a game. Even though the people that love it seem to think it is.
When did you play that one match? How long did it last? No way you could've experienced all the game has to offer in ONE single match. The game has literally evolved so much even over the last couple months, let alone past year.

Fortnite is much, much different than any other type of shooter/BR game, too. So I don't know how you can say it's built around the "same formula".

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
This is like me watching a period of hockey inattentively and coming to the conclusion that hockey is garbage.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is like me watching a period of hockey inattentively and coming to the conclusion that hockey is garbage.

I've watched the game played many many many times. I've just only played it once. Ive seen enough of it to form an opinion.

Haha everyone's Rust/DayZ/H1Z1 clones with drop ins are "super original" truth is they are a fad that will die out when the new casual gamer bro fad comes out.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Sorry, but if you've literally played a game ONCE for probably <10-15 minutes, your opinion is irrelevant.

And whether you like it or not, Fortnite is here to stay for the unforeseeable future. It being free on ALL platforms, there now being cross-platform capability across ALL platforms, in addition to weekly updates keeping the game fresh, it having an aspect that differs from any other shooter/BR (building).... saying it will die by next year when it had a record number of players last month -- ~80 million -- is laughable.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sorry, but if you've literally played a game ONCE for probably <10-15 minutes, your opinion is irrelevant.

And whether you like it or not, Fortnite is here to stay for the unforeseeable future. It being free on ALL platforms, there now being cross-platform capability across ALL platforms, in addition to weekly updates keeping the game fresh, it having an aspect that differs from any other shooter/BR (building).... saying it will die by next year when it had a record number of players last month -- ~80 million -- is laughable.

Blah blah blah Fortnite sucks. I bet you listen to lil pump too while you play it.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
There are better local multiplayer games.

Rocket League
Mario Kart
Splatoon
Bomberman

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I think the reason reason why Fortnite and other multiplayer games are so popular is that they don't require much of an attention span, they hinge more on your reflexes rather than you pondering a solution to a problem in a singleplayer RPG like The Witcher 3. They also offer more visual rewards and more often, even if your match didn't go very well.

Now I have no idea if Fortnite sucks or not compared to games of its type, since I don't enjoy multiplayers at all, I know already that I wouldn't like it, so no point in even trying, while there are a ton of quality singleplayers out there.

Reason why gamers such as myself are concerned about the popularity of Fortnite and its ilk, is that we fear the industry starts putting their money and focus solely on multiplayers while neglecting singleplayers.

Reactions: Jamin

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I have a couple takeaways in reading through the responses here. To be completely clear up front: I don’t think gaming is inherently bad and I definitely think it can be a very social activity.

My thoughts:

1) Having said the above, to those who see no difference between gaming and chess or reading books: I disagree. Screen time – all of that light exposure – absolutely affects your circadian rhythms and sleep. A key element of treating sleep disorders – which are increasingly common – is absolutely staying away from screens/ phones as you approach the time you would sleep. These guys hop between time zones, exert themselves to extremes physically, etc., so sleep is particularly important. Several hours of chess or reading won’t have the same degree of impact. Gaming is different – and this can be an issue even for people who wouldn’t be classified as having a gaming addiction.

2) Games can be a “time suck” in a way that few other activities are. The biggest gaming fans will talk about how much fun it is to get sucked in and how readily they lose time, so I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing. But in terms of how a team wants to conduct itself, how it sees its obligations on the road, having players get lost in any activity to that degree makes it entirely up for question on how to handle it. (Same thing would apply if they got sucked into constant poker games to the exclusion of other activity.) When you add in #1 above, you might have something non-hockey that is too consuming within the team (again, this is before even considering possible addiction).

3) Related to #2, this is a young team trying to forge a post-Sedin identity. Making the effort to do varied activities together while on the road, buy in to team codes of conduct, etc. could be constructive for a group at that stage. We’re talking about a handful of words from a possible future team captain and I’m choosing to take them in that vein. I don’t see it as hating on gaming at all.

4) And this brings me to my final point: a few here that seem bothered by this seem REALLY bothered. It seems out of whack. It’s a professional team trying something out amongst their guys for reasons that are their own. But a few here are taking it as if it’s a personal attack. I remember being on work trips/ training exercises when I was younger where we were asked to refrain from drinking for the duration of the trip. The vast majority of people didn’t care at all or didn’t care much beyond grumbling. A couple people protested, talked about their “freedom”, etc. At later dates, I know that one of these guys was in rehab and another was a very obvious problem drinker who couldn’t keep his act together at work. I’m absolutely not suggesting that everyone who questions this decision from the Canucks has a gaming addiction, because of course that’s NOT the case. But if your shorts are really in a knot on this and you’re bothered because this sounds like feedback you’re getting in real life, maybe that’s worth some reflection.

I now await my Abe Simpson fist-shaking pic.

Just quoting this to make sure it's being read again.

How one can be so personally offended at a decision somebody makes that doesn't affect you in the least is something to behold.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Just quoting this to make sure it's being read again.

How one can be so personally offended at a decision somebody makes that doesn't affect you in the least is something to behold.
Thanks for quoting that fantastic post.

I really don't care about gaming either way, I'm just trying to understand why some posters are taking a decision that has no effect on them whatsoever so personally.

"You" can still play video games.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Thanks for quoting that fantastic post.

I really don't care about gaming either way, I'm just trying to understand why some posters are taking a decision that has no effect on them whatsoever so personally.

"You" can still play video games.
Do you have an opinion about the Tom Wilson suspension? Why do you have an opinion about that? “You” aren’t suspended 20 games. “You” aren’t an NHLer and don’t have those circumstances, so why would you have an opinion about what’s happening?

This is posturing, nothing more. You’ve seen examples of other NHLers playing video games and being successful in their careers, you’ve seen NHLers with other kinds of leisure hobbies, drawing a bright line around this specific activity and then suggesting that anyone else having an opinion about it is the real problem reveals the lack of content of the argument.

What position was taken on the Dougie Hamilton story? Was it “why do people have an opinion about something that doesn’t affect them” or was it “these damn millennials and their museums”?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Do you have an opinion about the Tom Wilson suspension? Why do you have an opinion about that? “You” aren’t suspended 20 games. “You” aren’t an NHLer and don’t have those circumstances, so why would you have an opinion about what’s happening?

This is posturing, nothing more. You’ve seen examples of other NHLers playing video games and being successful in their careers, you’ve seen NHLers with other kinds of leisure hobbies, drawing a bright line around this specific activity and then suggesting that anyone else having an opinion about it is the real problem reveals the lack of content of the argument.

What position was taken on the Dougie Hamilton story? Was it “why do people have an opinion about something that doesn’t affect them” or was it “these damn millennials and their museums”?
I guess i react differently to things i have no control over.

My most active threads are with subjects where i basically ask why are you so mad abour this.

Dougie hamilton in all liklihood is a stand offish punk who nobody likes, whether he eats at moxies or goes to museums.

The wilson example is a good one though, no one wants to see players get hurt and i would have been upset with a light sentence. Thankfully the league got it right

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
There is real Fallout and there Is TES with guns. The latter can still be pretty good, but it’s not really Fallout. Either way though, they are purely solo games so it’s completely different appeal than a game like Fortnite.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Battle royal PvP. It’s basically replaced Overwatch and PUBG as THE PvP game right now. If PvP isn’t your thing it’s probably not going to hold your interest for long.

I know what it is. I've played it, I just don't find it very enjoyable.

I've been playing multiplayer shooters since the original counterstrike. Overwatch I enjoy more.

Fortnight is just meh to me. I don't get why it's so popular lol

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Fortnight is amazing. Anyone that says otherwise is old and probably shouldn't be playing video games anyways.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Was the speculation that the prospect with the videogame addiction being juolevi ever debunked?

Would make sense as to why the organization is so gungho about it.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Was the speculation that the prospect with the videogame addiction being juolevi ever debunked?

Would make sense as to why the organization is so gungho about it.

1) the organization didn’t decide anything, it was a collective decision by the players themselves

2) the reporter who broke the video game addiction specifically said it was Juolevi.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
1) the organization didn’t decide anything, it was a collective decision by the players themselves

2) the reporter who broke the video game addiction specifically said it was Juolevi.
Oh wow, he came out with the name then.

So sure the players came up with it, but the relation from one to the other seems too strong to ignore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad