Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I know it was a big distraction with the Flames last year. There were so many nights where it would be like watching guys who hadn't slept for 24 hours before their game. I could name a few names but I'll leave it at that.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think this is incredibly dumb. yes video games can be a problem if someone gets addicted, but that's the case with pretty much any addiction. As far as ways to casually blow off steam, it's perfectly fine
Games trigger a dopamine effect similar to narcotics, especially games with a slot machine designed system that mirrors gambling.

Its easy to say don't do it so much but not everyone has the same level of impulse control. Its why gambling creates addicts, its why one beer is sometimes not enough, its why some people can't stop eating. I would be more on the other end of the argument for games being harmless but modern gaming practices have actually been banned in a lot of countries world wide including big portions of Europe that have raised the scrutiny of the loot box system and encouraging gambling to children.

Maybe that's where the extra addictive aspect of games comes into place, though i am not an expert on fortnite as i am not a big fan of the battle royale genre so maybe i am overstepping my bounds and how that game compares or if it uses a loot box system or similar.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Ban booze too then, right?
giphy.gif

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I think all teams have curfews? So essentially, yah.
You're missing the point. Manage the guys individually. If you have a player abusing curfew because they can't turn off a video game, deal with it individually. You can't tell the group, whelp dummy over here doesn't know how to manage his time appropriately on his video game so we are just going to go ahead and ban it for everyone, it's just easier that way. Stupid.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I would need to listen to the actual interview for the appropriate context, but that tweet doesn't really frame it as a team policy either.

Reads a lot more like a decision that the Canucks players made, and who are we to judge that they're stupid?

Reactions: Elvs

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You're missing the point. Manage the guys individually. If you have a player abusing curfew because they can't turn off a video game, deal with it individually. You can't tell the group, whelp dummy over here doesn't know how to manage his time appropriately on his video game so we are just going to go ahead and ban it for everyone, it's just easier that way. Stupid.
It's antisocial behavior, not conducive to building a team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad