Confirmed with Link: (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour) Part 2

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Guentzel - Crosby - Kap
Granlund - Malkin - Zucker
McCann - Tierney - Fast
Tanev - Tb - Rust

We have 2 top lines and 2 lines that can deploy to Sully's system. I am just picturing Rust actually scoring on all the generated chances Tanev / Tb produced.

Murray for prospect,2nd
2nd,JJ for Tierney
Sign Fast
Granlund 1 year prove it deal. His best point totals came playing with Zucker.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Some posters appear to be bigger Hornqvist fans than Penguins fans.

To go from:
Standing_Outside_The_Fire_%28Garth_Brooks_single_-_cover_art%29.jpg

...to this:
Chris_Gaines_-_Lost_in_You_single.png

..might make anyone question what fanhood really means.

Do you have to support Jim Rutherford to be a Penguin fan now?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Guentzel - Crosby - Kap
Granlund - Malkin - Zucker
McCann - Tierney - Fast
Tanev - Tb - Rust

We have 2 top lines and 2 lines that can deploy to Sully's system. I am just picturing Rust actually scoring on all the generated chances Tanev / Tb produced.

Murray for prospect,2nd
2nd,JJ for Tierney
Sign Fast
Granlund 1 year prove it deal. His best point totals came playing with Zucker.

Great line up but I don't think it fits. 3 new FA contracts...probably not.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t see a 2nd and Johnson getting us Tierney. A 2nd alone might not be enough to dump Johnson for nothing. And Rust on the 4th line? Guy was over a PPG.

Reactions: ownal

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like what is that supposed to prove except Garth Brooks was always a noodle armed fake cowboy?

He was always much closer to being Chris Gaines than he was Garth Brooks.

Also I think at this point I've come around to finding this going-on-a-week bellyaching about this trade more funny than justified.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He was always much closer to being Chris Gaines than he was Garth Brooks.

Also I think at this point I've come around to finding this going-on-a-week bellyaching about this trade more funny than justified.

Man, the whole Affaire de l'Hornqvist is just a... saga. :laugh: Imagine trying to explain this to someone who is not a Penguins fan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Here is Friedman's clarification on 31 Thoughts.

23. Back in November 2005, Anaheim traded Sergei Fedorov to Columbus. The Blue Jackets then put Todd Marchant on waivers, where he was claimed by the Ducks. At the time, then-GMs Brian Burke and Doug MacLean claimed there was nothing fishy — “just a coincidence!” — but they are bad liars. Plus, they’ve now admitted it was set up to get around Marchant’s no-trade. Patric Hornqvist realized that Pittsburgh could have put him on waivers, and Florida was going to claim him. The Panthers wanted him badly. Hornqvist is one of Florida assistant GM Paul Fenton’s best draft picks, and it wasn’t a surprise Fenton would go after the winger.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Oh, ahahahaha. I was like "Okay, 'I've Got Friends' was pretty good, but man.. talk about a mediocre career."
I don't like Garth Brooks. I don't even really care for I've Got Friends, but isn't he the biggest selling country act of all time and one of the biggest regardless of genre? I wish I had that mediocre of a career :(

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't like Garth Brooks. I don't even really care for I've Got Friends, but isn't he the biggest selling country act of all time and one of the biggest regardless of genre? I wish I had that mediocre of a career :(

I mean, Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime" is like the 3rd or 4th highest selling single of all time, and it's still better than Garth Brooks.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

23. Back in November 2005, Anaheim traded Sergei Fedorov to Columbus. The Blue Jackets then put Todd Marchant on waivers, where he was claimed by the Ducks. At the time, then-GMs Brian Burke and Doug MacLean claimed there was nothing fishy — “just a coincidence!” — but they are bad liars. Plus, they’ve now admitted it was set up to get around Marchant’s no-trade. Patric Hornqvist realized that Pittsburgh could have put him on waivers, and Florida was going to claim him. The Panthers wanted him badly. Hornqvist is one of Florida assistant GM Paul Fenton’s best draft picks, and it wasn’t a surprise Fenton would go after the winger.

Hornqvist was between a rock and a hard place to help the team then.

Accept the trade which brings in a bad contract or get waived giving JR more cap to sign a bad contract :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This doesn't sound like "JR threatened to put Hornqvist on waivers" like Friedman initially said.

Reactions: SEALBound

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
lol. I just mean people are really overreacting about this trade and how we treated him.

The treatment is whatever. JR didn’t want him on the roster so it’s either accept the trade and go to Florida or get waived and probably go to Florida but maybe end up somewhere like Detroit (ewww).

Trade wise if it was a one off people would be more accepting but it’s just another potential bad deal that JR is collecting

4gtymg.jpg

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As a child of the 90s with country music-loving parents...this last page has been very triggering for me. Oh, Y108, my oldest enemy.

I worked with an old country bumpkin dude when I was in college who literally glued the radio tuner in place on Froggy 104.3. :laugh: Didn't want nobody messing with the radio on the off chance that Charlie Daniels might come on.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Florida would have to have trusted that Horny falls to them though. That's a very tradeable asset. If I'm Ottawa, I claim him and then trade him to whoever for whatever the highest bid was.

So while, perhaps there was the chance of it happening, Horny would have the choice of "Florida or any team ahead of Florida in the waivers list". Like Emp said, I doubt the JR discussion with Horny was "if you don't waive your NTC, we'll waive you". I'm sure that's just a circumstance that is known as a possibility. I'm sure Horny's agent discussed that possibility with him too.

I would always caution people against assigning malice to intentions of people you do not know because you yourself are upset.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida would have to have trusted that Horny falls to them though. That's a very tradeable asset. If I'm Ottawa, I claim him and then trade him to whoever for whatever the highest bid was.

So while, perhaps there was the chance of it happening, Horny would have the choice of "Florida or any team ahead of Florida in the waivers list". Like Emp said, I doubt the JR discussion with Horny was "if you don't waive your NTC, we'll waive you". I'm sure that's just a circumstance that is known as a possibility. I'm sure Horny's agent discussed that possibility with him too.

I would always caution people against assigning malice to intentions of people you do not know because you yourself are upset.
It sounds like hearsay to be honest...The way he words it is speculation...which I don't buy.

I can't see JR putting so much positive value on Matheson that you give up cap space...

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What do you mean give up cap space?
I mean, you took on Matheson and Sceviour's contracts which give you less cap space than before Horny. I could see him liking Sceviour for PK, but Pittsburgh added over 6M in cap this season. Got to think you could do better than that in free agency or buying a better cap dump...

I interpreted this trade as over-priced asset for over-priced asset

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad