Confirmed with Link: (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour) Part 2

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Choosing Bylsma over a coach that had a playstyle for a stacked team was Shero's biggest mistake by far. Bylsma succeeded with an overachieving team that had lots of grinders but then Shero did his job and made our team way more skilled and it stopped working. We played a game suited for grinders when we had a full back catalogue of young cheap PMD ready to make an impact and instead we had Orpik (who could have been traded for that top 6 RW at any time) and Eaton and Murray chipping the puck off the glass every shift and our only breakouts were stretch passes and hoping that Sid and Geno could do everything. Our best runs in the Bylsma era after the cup was whenever guys like Orpik were injured and we were "forced" to play guys like Dumoulin, Maatta, Niskanen and Despres in minutes they were ready for. And whenever they made clever plays they got benched.

The whole plan was develop loads of PMD so that we can trade defensemen, but Bylsma and/or Shero were so attached to every crap D-man that the trades stopped happening after the cup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Choosing Bylsma over a coach that had a playstyle for a stacked team was Shero's biggest mistake by far. Bylsma succeeded with an overachieving team that had lots of grinders but then Shero did his job and made our team way more skilled and it stopped working. We played a game suited for grinders when we had a full back catalogue of young cheap PMD ready to make an impact and instead we had Orpik (who could have been traded for that top 6 RW at any time) and Eaton and Murray chipping the puck off the glass every shift and our only breakouts were stretch passes and hoping that Sid and Geno could do everything. Our best runs in the Bylsma era after the cup was whenever guys like Orpik were injured and we were "forced" to play guys like Dumoulin, Maatta, Niskanen and Despres in minutes they were ready for. And whenever they made clever plays they got benched.

The whole plan was develop loads of PMD so that we can trade defensemen, but Bylsma and/or Shero were so attached to every crap D-man that the trades stopped happening after the cup.

We likely sign Trotz if Shero stays and I bet we win a cup relatively soon after because Kessel would be a similar target for Shero.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
We likely sign Trotz if Shero stays and I bet we win a cup relatively soon after because Kessel would be a similar target for Shero.
LOL. There's more of a chance Shero would have gotten bit by a radioactive spider and developed super powers than there is of him trading for Kessel.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Penguins showed their top assists of the season. First one is from a goal by Hornqvist.

200.gif

That's what they can do with themselves posting that shit. f***ing with my emotions.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Why is that exactly?
Ray was always drawn to the high character, 2 way players. Phil had a lot of baggage and a history of problems. He was a great 2 way player during the '16 run but that was the exception. I just don't see Ray paying the price and putting in the extra effort to make that deal with Toronto. Especially after the issues they had with Neal. I do think he would have been shopping for a high end wing, just not Phil.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ray was always drawn to the high character, 2 way players. Phil had a lot of baggage and a history of problems. He was a great 2 way player during the '16 run but that was the exception. I just don't see Ray paying the price and putting in the extra effort to make that deal with Toronto. Especially after the issues they had with Neal. I do think he would have been shopping for a high end wing, just not Phil.

Weird take. Shero associated US teams were big on Phil and I’d argue the US connection would have had Shero salivating especially considering he could have absolutely reamed the Leafs in a trade.

I think they honestly would’ve taken Phil is EJ and Staal were off the board in 06 over Backstrom and Toews too.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Weird take. Shero associated US teams were big on Phil and I’d argue the US connection would have had Shero salivating especially considering he could have absolutely reamed the Leafs in a trade.

I think they honestly would’ve taken Phil is EJ and Staal were off the board in 06 over Backstrom and Toews too.
Yours is weirder! :D:help:

IDK. I don't think the US was in a position to turn down a player as talented as Phil and having him around for tourneys is different than years in a locker room where you're trying to improve the culture. If he did decide to give it a go, I bet he would have paid like half of what JR did. Some good old Shero hardball. :laugh:

I wouldn't have been surprised if he drafted him. That's picking the apple straight from the tree without the additional 10 years of baggage.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yours is weirder! :D:help:

IDK. I don't think the US was in a position to turn down a player as talented as Phil and having him around for tourneys is different than years in a locker room where you're trying to improve the culture. If he did decide to give it a go, I bet he would have paid like half of what JR did. Some good old Shero hardball. :laugh:

I wouldn't have been surprised if he drafted him. That's picking the apple straight from the tree without the additional 10 years of baggage.

Shero wasn’t involved with the World Cup team that didn’t take him.

In that insane Burnside expose from that 2014 team he made this note:

This is a team whose identity is about working its tail off, Ray Shero reminds the group. If the U.S. needs one chance to score, it may be that Phil Kessel and Bobby Ryan are going to be the guys who capitalize on that one chance.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Shero wasn’t involved with the World Cup team that didn’t take him.

In that insane Burnside expose from that 2014 team he made this note:

This is a team whose identity is about working its tail off, Ray Shero reminds the group. If the U.S. needs one chance to score, it may be that Phil Kessel and Bobby Ryan are going to be the guys who capitalize on that one chance.
Doesn't that kind of support my position? The US wasn't in a position to leave out someone so talented. They needed scoring. That doesn't mean Ray would want him in the Pens locker room for years or to be tied to his contract. Putting a player in a tourney is much different from committing to a guaranteed NHL contract and building a mix of guys that will be together 9 months out of the year for several years. I just don't see him doing it unless the price went even lower or there were no other options.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Doesn't that kind of support my position? The US wasn't in a position to leave out someone so talented. They needed scoring. That doesn't mean Ray would want him in the Pens locker room for years or to be tied to his contract. Putting a player in a tourney is much different from committing to a guaranteed NHL contract and building a mix of guys that will be together 9 months out of the year for several years. I just don't see him doing it unless the price went even lower or there were no other options.

A lot of assumptions here for someone that bled red, white and blue and made a lot of his management decisions accordingly.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Shero drafted Staal over Kessel for a reason.

He would’ve stuck with Bylsma forever and gotten more skilled grinders for wingers.
Why would you draft a winger in Kessel when your top best producing wingers were dinosaurs Recchi and LeClair in 2005-2006?

This wasn’t hindsight, it was incompetence. But but but grinders and best player overall, dog. The season after Staal was drafted, Recchi and Oulette were our shining wingers.

Just one of the dozens of reasons why shero is unemployed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm all for two-way hockey, but Shero took two-way forwards and offensive defensemen to an extreme. And not one of those offensive defensemen he drafted proved to be worth a shit.

f***in 9th overall pick and you pick Pouliot. It's still haunting. I don't think any sports franchise I follow has made a pick, everyone knew instantaneously it was awful, and it proceeded to be awful for the duration of the time the guy played for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad