Confirmed with Link: (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour) Part 2

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Went to post on the old thread @Scandale du Jour says post a new thread. I wanted to say I think a lot of us are agreeably meh on the trade. That said There is a chance this could really pan out for us. That is the hope here.

Panther know what they are getting and we are not till Math is on the ice. We trust Panther fans on their evaluation as it holds water, so I think it's ok to be cautiously optimistic and hope for the best. No really high expectations

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Went to post on the old thread @Scandale du Jour says post a new thread. I wanted to say I think a lot of us are agreeably meh on the trade. That said There is a chance this could really pan out for us. That is the hope here.

Panther know what they are getting and we are not till Math is on the ice. We trust Panther fans on their evaluation as it holds water, so I think it's ok to be cautiously optimistic and hope for the best. No really high expectations

Boldened is half of the issue. The best we can hope for is that Matheson plays up to a 2nd pair role - which would be playing to his contract. This isn't a scenario where taking a huge gamble (like trading for an underachiever with 6 years left on his contract) could pay off big time. We're gonna need prayers more than hope. His upside? Playing to his contract. Even then 'playing to his contract' is a big stretch when factoring the term (you really shouldn't commit so many years to bottom pairing dudes - Tanev); his downside is nightmareish.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the speed aspect is being underscored here. Most of the defense lacks this and most times are not racing back to retrieve puck and looking over their shoulders giving up any advantage being ahead of the attackers giving away the advantage. This is a huge advantage we only see from Letang. I'm actually intrigued with Matheson and how he'll shake out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team isn't going to miss Hornqvist outside of the powerplay, so it's really not a high bar for Matheson and Sceviour to reach for this deal to be worth it for the Penguins. If Sceviour is a solid 20-25 point 4th liner and Matheson can give you 30-35 points in a sheltered role while improving your transitional play and puck moving (aka be 2017-2018 Schultz), that's a net win for Pittsburgh.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
10% chance Matheson turns it up and makes himself useful.

I don't think you make a trade based on hoping a player bounces back. 6 years 5 million is a lot of money I am really hoping he can play with Marino and they can be that solid second pair we need. Still praying we can just give away jack johnson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A bad sign for Hornqvist's usage? Absolutely.

That's why some of us aren't that torn up about this deal. We got younger on the RW and on LD if we move out JJ.
I’m all about getting younger and faster, but that doesn’t mean you acquire Matheson. I think this deal looks even worse since it appears that horny didn’t demand a trade. It would be one thing if he wanted out, and told them what teams he’d waive his NTC, but the dude was blindsided.

I think it was probably time to move Horny, but not for a bottom pairing dman signed to an awful contract. It’s not like you can just trade horrible contracts easily, look at JJ.

Again, like with Toronto, we did Florida a favor.

Reactions: violaswallet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh boo hoo about Hornqvist being "blindsided" by a trade. I'm not going to feel sympathy for a guy being traded when he's being traded for not getting the job done in the playoffs. Want to not be traded? Do better than 2 points in the last 2 elimination series combined.

Complaining that the team did wrong to Hornqvist by "blindsiding" him with a trade is hilarious. It makes me wonder if you're even a Penguins fan or if you're just a troll that likes to complain about the Penguins.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m all about getting younger and faster, but that doesn’t mean you acquire Matheson. I think this deal looks even worse since it appears that horny didn’t demand a trade. It would be one thing if he wanted out, and told them what teams he’d waive his NTC, but the dude was blindsided.

I think it was probably time to move Horny, but not for a bottom pairing dman signed to an awful contract. It’s not like you can just trade horrible contracts easily, look at JJ.

Again, like with Toronto, we did Florida a favor.

Not really. But I mean, you’ve looked at everything negative since 2017 so.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not really. But I mean, you’ve looked at everything negative since 2017 so.
Because things started to go off the rails since 2017. We are still trying to find a 3C, our defense is a joke, and our bottom six continues to be below average.

JR has been chasing his tail for 3 years now, trying to fix his mistakes.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I really like the remark I read where the coaches are basically like Matheson just needs to realize that while he has superior skating that he needs to let the puck do more of the work. It sounds like a totally coachable deficit I am cautiously optimistic that he will be quite useful for us. I wish we didn't get Sceviour but tbh don't know much about him. But it's literally 1 year at 1.2m

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because things started to go off the rails since 2017. We are still trying to find a 3C, our defense is a joke, and our bottom six continues to be below average.

JR has been chasing his tail for 3 years now, fixing his mistakes.

That’s fine, but acting like Kapanen and Matheson are sure fire failures is not a good perspective. These two players could go a long way to address the issues we’ve had with this team.

Reactions: Factorial

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This trade screams that they're shipping out a Dman. I doubt they'll ship out JJ because he has no trade value and we have no picks. Although I wouldn't be opposed to dangling Murray so someone would take JJ.
For example, MM+JJ for a 4th round pick. If MM's true value 's a 2nd, then taking on JJ should be worth a 4th, IMO.

Reactions: The Old Master

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
That’s fine, but acting like Kapanen and Matheson are sure fire failures is not a good perspective. These two players could go a long way to address the issues we’ve had with this team.

I agree. They haven't even stepped on the ice yet. Matheson may fit nicely on the top 4. Alot of the worry is the contract but by the end of the deal I don't think he will lose his Speed. If this was JJ or Scuderi, Gudzilla on that contract sure because they don't have the potential Matheson does. Like @vikingGoalie stated his issues may be fixed by coaching. It'll be wait and see with that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would say a legit worry is that the knock on both Kap and Matheson are that they're dumb hockey players who rely on their physical tools.

One possible outcome is that we become an entertaining team but too high event at both ends to be successful come playoffs. Hopefully we can insulate them properly.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I really like the remark I read where the coaches are basically like Matheson just needs to realize that while he has superior skating that he needs to let the puck do more of the work. It sounds like a totally coachable deficit I am cautiously optimistic that he will be quite useful for us. I wish we didn't get Sceviour but tbh don't know much about him. But it's literally 1 year at 1.2m

Sometimes they can’t though.

8478466.jpg

They also knew the “real reason” why JJ was scratched.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I would say a legit worry is that the knock on both Kap and Matheson are that they're dumb hockey players who rely on their physical tools.

One possible outcome is that we become an entertaining team but too high event at both ends to be successful come playoffs. Hopefully we can insulate them properly.

Yeah we have enough high IQ types where that shouldnt matter. Im actually glad to add guys with pure talent now. We can do that after adding guys like Zucker, Tanev, Marino, Blueger, etc lately. While already having Sid, Jake, Rust, etc who all are cerebrial players.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad