Honest feeling about playoffs?

Habtchum*

he did an outstanding job as a backup goalie, which is what he is, a backup goalie.

All the points he got is what makes the difference between playoffs or fighting to make them at the last minute.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
All the points he got is what makes the difference between playoffs or fighting to make them at the last minute.

so why isnt Budaj in the net every game then? he's not a #1 goalie and wouldn't have 19 win by now, but he's one of the best backup goalie out there

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

I love what budaj has done but, that being said, if we went into the playoffs with him carrying the load, I don't know anyone who would not be concerned.

Has price been great this year, no. He's been okay but unlike years past the team is good enough to win games where he does NOT have to be stellar. I dont believe much in the notion that players who are underpreforming are " due" but I dont think price has lost what made him a great goalie.

I'm not convinced we are a cup contender this year, unless price gets on a streak, then I think we are as good as anyone. So I dont think our success in the playoffs is dependent on Price, but I'm pretty sure our ability to go deep is inextricably tied to him.

if he plays like he has been and we get an early exit, he will get more than his fair share of blame. if he goes white hot and the habs go deep, no one is going to remember the regular season performance ( which has not been bad or great, somewhere in between).

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I love what budaj has done but, that being said, if we went into the playoffs with him carrying the load, I don't know anyone who would not be concerned.

Has price been great this year, no. He's been okay but unlike years past the team is good enough to win games where he does NOT have to be stellar. I dont believe much in the notion that players who are underpreforming are " due" but I dont think price has lost what made him a great goalie.

So I dont think our success in the playoffs is dependent on Price, but I'm pretty sure our ability to go deep is inextricably tied to him.

If he plays like he has been and we get an early exit, he will get more than his fair share of blame. If he goes white hot and the habs go deep, no one is going to remember the regular season performance ( which has not been bad or great, somewhere in between).

Keep in mind that Price's record is better than what it would be since there haven't been any games against the western conference. How would he do against a strong western conference team instead of just against the weaker eastern conference?

In my opinion, all the eastern teams have better records than they would have if crossovers games were allowed.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Keep in mind that Price's record is better than what it would be since there haven't been any games against the western conference. How would he do against a strong western conference team instead of just against the weaker eastern conference?

In my opinion, all the eastern teams have better records than they would have if crossovers games were allowed.

So there have been no east west games but you get to presume that the west is better and that the east is therefore worse ?

There are bad teams in both conferences, we will see how good the west is vs the east in the SCF. As good as some of the teams have been, a healthy pittsburg ( unlikely but possible) at the very least is a concern for both chicago or anaheim

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's done a great job. Your posts though reminded me of the late 80s when some people started calling for Brian Hayward to get the starting gig.

Would you feel good about having Peter Budaj as your starting goalie going into the playoffs?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Tor vs Mtl in the first round would be awesome

no it wouldn't!

every missed passes, shots allowed, checks, every second in the defensive zone, fall, every missed shot, every goal, every game will turn most posters on here into degenerate, zoloft-addicted cry babies.

then, i'll rage like a madman, get infracted, banned, re-register with a new username, re-banned, hunt down overlords and throw coke cans at him, go to jail, meet a nice gentleman named bubba who only want to make me his friend and you know what?

it'll all be your fault...

dreamingofdrouin*

Glancing at the standings...we are looking at a very realistic scenario, in which montreal will face toronto in the first round.....and if we were to dump them.....we could very well face boston in round 2..that is if the rangers are the 6th seed and eliminate the caps.

Then quite posibly the rangers and blackhawks to follow that...what an original six extravaganza that would be. one can only dream.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
So there have been no east west games but you get to presume that the west is better and that the east is therefore worse ?

There are bad teams in both conferences, we will see how good the west is vs the east in the SCF. As good as some of the teams have been, a healthy pittsburg ( unlikely but possible) at the very least is a concern for both chicago or anaheim

Well, I do think that the west is better. The game records obviously don't show any difference since just as the east plays weaker vs weaker, the west in turn plays stronger vs stronger. If there was crossovers, you'd see more points with western teams and fewer for the eastern teams.

Chicago, Anaheim, Vancouver to me are stronger. Just about any of the top eight in the west would be tough match for the east.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Looks like a 401/20 series shaping up. It would be a rough, tough one for sure.

First series in how long for the Leafs? Toronto would come on like gangbusters. I think their fan base would demand if the Leafs don't win it, at the least a hard fought battle and draw blood.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Toronto is a team that will be gassed as the playoffs go on because Carlyle is a line-matching maniac. But in the first round, that won't hurt them as much because the hot stuff is just getting started and their stamina won't be burned out. They can strike quickly and efficiently since they have a talented top 6 and our defense is vulnerable to giving up grade A scoring chances.

That said, they are turnover machines if you hound them constantly.

In short, we're evenly matched with them.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Looks like a 401 series shaping up. It would be a rough, tough one for sure.

First series in how long for the Leafs? Toronto would come on like gangbusters. I think their fan base would demand if the Leafs don't win it, at the least a hard fought battle and draw blood.

We need three things to beat the leafs:

1)Fast-paced games: the leafs 4th line can't take a regular shift without geting burned, and we'd have homeice to boot. Gotta tire them out
2)Price to be really strong with our weakened D: he'll get a big workload he's gotta be up to it
3)Well balanced lines that spread Toronto's matchups: We need to exploit homeice and even out the TOI for stamina reasons.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
If we can get Diaz back I'm fairly confident against the Leafs as long as we don't goon it up. Put our best players out on home ice against Mclaren and Orr, see how much their toughness helps them then. Without Diaz back we can certainly still win but one of Beaulieu, Bouillion, or Drewiske is going to have to really step up.

My biggest concern would be Markov just getting worn down over the final stretch and a longer series. If Markov regresses we're in real trouble and we're basically at last season all over again where we only have one real pairing. We're going to have to keep Subban and Gorges out as much as we can (they're our thoroughbreds, they can handle the minutes), and keep Markov fresh so we can pounce on the power plays. The issue with the Leafs this year is that they actually have two good lines now, but as long as we can get Plekanec to shut down the Kessel-Bozak-JVR line (maybe put Bourque on the LW and move Ryder down to the Eller line) we should be in good shape.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
We need three things to beat the leafs:

1)Fast-paced games: the leafs 4th line can't take a regular shift without geting burned, and we'd have homeice to boot. Gotta tire them out
2)Price to be really strong with our weakened D: he'll get a big workload he's gotta be up to it
3)Well balanced lines that spread Toronto's matchups: We need to exploit homeice and even out the TOI for stamina reasons.

Toronto's game plan: physical, physical, and even more physical play.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Glancing at the standings...we are looking at a very realistic scenario, in which montreal will face toronto in the first round.....and if we were to dump them.....we could very well face boston in round 2..that is if the rangers are the 6th seed and eliminate the caps.

Then quite posibly the rangers and blackhawks to follow that...what an original six extravaganza that would be. one can only dream.

Lots of time for Boston to implode... I think we'll finish 2nd.... then

Rangers
Boston
Pit
Chicago

no matter what all roads lead through boston, whether 1st or 2nd round

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
who gives a **** who we play? gotta beat the best to move on anyway.
why is everyone terrified of the Leafs? suddenly Mclaren and Orr morph into first line players? where are the leafs so tough outside of their goons? the game will be played on special teams, speed, team D and goaltending.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
who gives a **** who we play? gotta beat the best to move on anyway.
why is everyone terrified of the Leafs? suddenly Mclaren and Orr morph into first line players? where are the leafs so tough outside of their goons? the game will be played on special teams, speed, team D and goaltending.

Um, I'm rather afraid of Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, and Grabovski. That's a skilled group right there, and we have been burnt by high-end skill this season.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I came over to Habs board for tickets thread, but..

Just wanted to let you guys know that from the games that I've seen, your forecheck is the 2nd best, 2nd to Chicago. Love watching that type of hockey.

Also, when a Leafs fan claims that he'd rather have his team face Habs than Bruins, it is not because we expect to outright win the series (I'd give 50-50 to each team at this point), but it is because we don't want to face the Bruins.

PS: at least one of Orr and MacLaren won't be playing in playoffs. There are skilled players who are sitting right now who'd replace them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad