Honest feeling about playoffs?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
4 teams are getting in from the NE. all hated rivals. deal with it.
people conveniently forget the last game vs. TO.
all they ****ing remember is the preseason game that ended by a
****ing goal and our worst game of the year.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Habs haven't faced much adversity this season. I'm curious as to how they will manage it in the playoffs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We don't know yet who the Habs will face, or what state of health they'll be in when they get to the playoffs. But I can't help thinking they've got a legitimate shot to win the Cup. I don't think I ever felt that way in the last 20 years, even in 2008 when they won the conference. This year, they're playing as a team and they've got great chemistry, which a Cup winner has to have. They don't have the best scorers, but they've got a lot of them with somebody stepping up every night, which makes them harder to predict and contain. They don't have the best defense in the league, but they're solid and move the puck quickly. Price can be insanely good when he's hot, and the coaching staff knows what they're doing. They've got depth.

So, I think the only question now is how healthy they'll be going in. If Emelin, Diaz, Bourque and Armstrong can be ready on opening night, the Habs can compete with anybody. Am I alone in thinking this team could actually win it all?

Price will need to play better in playoffs for Habs to go anywhere.

Oct 22, 2012
Habs haven't faced much adversity this season. I'm curious as to how they will manage it in the playoffs.

They have faced some adversity, overcoming the first two losses to the leafs with streaks of great play. The two gallys overcoming criticism and marking their respective spots. Hanging around in that Boston game with Budaji backstopping us to a win.

I think the biggest hurdles will be taking that energy to the next level and get everyone contributing. Really excited

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If the Habs play the Leafs in the playoffs (which looks more and more possible every day) then I think the entire hockey world will implode upon itself :laugh:

Give me a case of beer and a defibrillator for every game and I think I might be alright.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
4 teams are getting in from the NE. all hated rivals. deal with it.
people conveniently forget the last game vs. TO.
all they ****ing remember is the preseason game that ended by a
****ing goal and our worst game of the year.

They kept it close for about 45 minutes and then the floodgates opened and we won. But we couldn't keep Fraser Mclaren off the scoresheet and Grabovski was trying his hardest to be the hero but his teammates left him in the ditch.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Reasons I would dread facing Toronto:

- They play waaay too well in our building.

- Kessel is a Habs killer.

- All the pressure will be on our team with about 500 reporters covering the series reminding them of that everyday. If we lose, it's viewed as a choke job.

- Reimer seems to be at his best against us.

- Toronto has nothing to lose.

- Our defence right now is NOT suited to play teams with 3 lines of offence, which Toronto is. We absolutely need a Diaz in top shape to play this team.

- They will try to goon it up at certain points.

- Randy Carlyle may actually smarten up and play Jake Gardiner since we're a skating team.

- Refs at the ACC...you know the deal by now. Guarantee the Leafs average at least a 5 on 3 per home game.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Reasons I would dread facing Toronto:

- They play waaay too well in our building.

- Kessel is a Habs killer.

- All the pressure will be on our team with about 500 reporters covering the series reminding them of that everyday. If we lose, it's viewed as a choke job.

- Reimer seems to be at his best against us.

- Toronto has nothing to lose.

- Our defence right now is NOT suited to play teams with 3 lines of offence, which Toronto is. We absolutely need a Diaz in top shape to play this team.

- They will try to goon it up at certain points.

- Randy Carlyle may actually smarten up and play Jake Gardiner since we're a skating team.

- Refs at the ACC...you know the deal by now. Guarantee the Leafs average at least a 5 on 3 per home game.

I respectfully disagree. There's no need for preemptive excuses this early.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Still would love to face the leafs. It would lit up the rivality that faded a bit in the last years where both teams weren't at the same level of performance. Habs will have a good chance of winning that series as the Leafs would have a good chance to win it. Would be a better matchup in the first round that either Boston or the Pens, but a tougher one than against a team like Ottawa (without Karlson and Spezza) or Washington. Wouldn't like to face the Isles as they seem to have our number this year and the Rangers with their new acquisitions does seems like a team we'll get a tough time against.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
My honest feelings about the playoffs, is i dont know if i will be reading hfboards.

If its a Toronto/Montreal, this board will be unbearable

Brass

Nov 14, 2007
laurentides
To quote my boy Bergevin : Anything can happen in the Playoffs.

I'm not scared of anybody.

NO Excuses , as long as the boys dont go down without a fight.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Emelin is not Lidstrom but I felt much better having his physical presence on D, we do not have a suitable replacement and it will hurt us in the playoffs.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
My honest opinion?

Well, right now it looks more and more like we're going to face a big size teams and i don't like it one bit.

Half of our top 6 is under 5'9" (DD, Gionta, Gallagher)
Not feeling confortable against any big team right now

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I think losing Emelin hurt maybe a bit more than the average fan will realize. Even if he's not crunching people all the time just his presence back there was starting to impose respect. Something the Habs desperately needed. Not to mention his leaps and bounds this year in terms of playing with the puck, his speed (compared to Drewiske and Markov)...Just sucks to lose him right now. Would have been really interesting to see what this roster could have done in the playoffs.

Having said that, this team, this year has taught me by now that they can beat anybody. So I'm hoping for a long playoff run.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
series will be entertaining, this board will be unbearable to read

No no no, the board will be entertaining. All the flaming, the trolling, the whining,... it will be hilarious! God I can't wait

Gotta love the playoffs spirit

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
My honest opinion?

Well, right now it looks more and more like we're going to face a big size teams and i don't like it one bit.

Half of our top 6 is under 5'9" (DD, Gionta, Gallagher)
Not feeling confortable against any big team right now

Height is definitely overated here. What's much more important in the playoff is toughness, grit, heart and determination.

DD, Gionta and Gallagher are not in the top 6, but in the top 9. (the other 6 top 9 players are Plekanec, Bourque, Pacioretty, Ryder, Eller and Galchenyuk)

Now, compare what you see as our weakness in our top 9 with the weaknesses in the other contender's top 9. And tell me if you would be willing to trade DD, Gionta and Gallagher for one of the following trio of players :

Chicago : Stalberg, Bolland, Shaw
Pittsburgh : Cooke, Sutter, Jokinen
Boston : Peverley, Kelly, Campbell (or Horton if Bergeron is back from injury)
Anaheim : Bonino, Winnik, Cogliano
Los Angeles : Stoll, Lewis, Clifford
Vancouver : Raymond, Roy, Kassian
Washington : Erat, Johansson, Fehr
San Jose : Gomez, Wingels, Galiardi
St. Louis : Sobotka, Tarasenko, McDonald
Minnesota : Brodziak, Coyle, Clutterbuck
Toronto : Kulemin, Grabovski, McClement
Ottawa : Smith, Neil, Latendresse
Rangers : Pyatt, Brassard, Boyle
Detroit : Kindl, Ericsson, Abdelkader
-----
Montreal : DD, Gionta, Gallagher

Let's ask the question differently : Your team has a top 6 of Ryder, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller and Bourque. You need to add 3 players to complete your top 9 to go far in the playoffs. Which trio do you chose?

Habtchum*

This team will go as far as Price will bring them.

Habs are not physically built to have very long playoffs. Sorry.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only thing that comforts me of a series between the Leafs is that Reimer will be a young not-very-good netminder in his first play-offs in a city like Montreal and Toronto. Price is calm as a cucumber and is seasoned in the play-offs.

That could be the edge we need to win the series.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Height is definitely overated here. What's much more important in the playoff is toughness, grit, heart and determination.

DD, Gionta and Gallagher are not in the top 6, but in the top 9. (the other 6 top 9 players are Plekanec, Bourque, Pacioretty, Ryder, Eller and Galchenyuk)

Now, compare what you see as our weakness in our top 9 with the weaknesses in the other contender's top 9. And tell me if you would be willing to trade DD, Gionta and Gallagher for one of the following trio of players :

Chicago : Stalberg, Bolland, Shaw
Pittsburgh : Cooke, Sutter, Jokinen
Boston : Peverley, Kelly, Campbell (or Horton if Bergeron is back from injury)

Anaheim : Bonino, Winnik, Cogliano
Los Angeles : Stoll, Lewis, Clifford
Vancouver : Raymond, Roy, Kassian
Washington : Erat, Johansson, Fehr
San Jose : Gomez, Wingels, Galiardi
St. Louis : Sobotka, Tarasenko, McDonald
Minnesota : Brodziak, Coyle, Clutterbuck
Toronto : Kulemin, Grabovski, McClement
Ottawa : Smith, Neil, Latendresse
Rangers : Pyatt, Brassard, Boyle

Detroit : Kindl, Ericsson, Abdelkader
-----
Montreal : DD, Gionta, Gallagher

Let's ask the question differently : Your team has a top 6 of Ryder, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller and Bourque. You need to add 3 players to complete your top 9 to go far in the playoffs. Which trio do you chose?

In the playoffs ? I'd take the bolded before ours.

Also Kindl is a Dman:laugh:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I'd trade DD and Gio for Horton and Beverley in a heartbeat. Horton is a PROVEN playoff performer and Beverley is a two-way guy with speed. They aren't bad players to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->