Honest feeling about playoffs?

BobbyFischer*

Um, I'm rather afraid of Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, and Grabovski. That's a skilled group right there, and we have been burnt by high-end skill this season.

Also, it seems the leafs just have a knack for scoring all kinds of different goals on Price. IDK... Me scared.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Hey guys, coming in peace, just wondering your thoughts on a potential Habs / Leafs match up, seeing as it's currently set up that way.

I think it'd be amazing as both teams, no matter the rosters, ALWAYS seem to play close games. If it went to 7 games...that'd be something else.

Thoughts?

Btw stay in 4th cuz I wanna see this :naughty:

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Also, it seems the leafs just have a knack for scoring all kinds of different goals on Price. IDK... Me scared.

I'm pretty sure not a single Hab player is scared of the Leafs... thankfully its they who play the games, not HF posters.

MT has them in a great pro hockey mindset with an effective system in place.

Drop the puck.

May the best team win.

No hard feelings.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Hey guys, coming in peace, just wondering your thoughts on a potential Habs / Leafs match up, seeing as it's currently set up that way.

I think it'd be amazing as both teams, no matter the rosters, ALWAYS seem to play close games. If it went to 7 games...that'd be something else.

Thoughts?

Well, if I go by Leafs evaluation of their team, the Habs have no chance vs the best team in history of hockey and the second coming of Wayne Gretzky, Nazem Kadri.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Well, if I go by Leafs evaluation of their team, the Habs have no chance vs the best team in history of hockey and the second coming of Wayne Gretzky, Nazem Kadri.

Our fan bases are huge, surely you understand there's fans on both sides that make stupid comparisons. Kadri's been awesome this year, but he's not that good, obviously lol.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I came over to Habs board for tickets thread, but..

Just wanted to let you guys know that from the games that I've seen, your forecheck is the 2nd best, 2nd to Chicago. Love watching that type of hockey.

Also, when a Leafs fan claims that he'd rather have his team face Habs than Bruins, it is not because we expect to outright win the series (I'd give 50-50 to each team at this point), but it is because we don't want to face the Bruins.

PS: at least one of Orr and MacLaren won't be playing in playoffs. There are skilled players who are sitting right now who'd replace them.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, this echoes my sentiments exactly.

Any Hab Fan bravado about a Leafs matchup in the playoffs is surely missing the memory of the Leafs handling of the Habs in Montreal, and the current home winless record disproves there is any home arena mystique left in the current rivalry.

Leafs are a matchup I believe the Habs would want to avoid, insofar as a coin toss series seems not fitting for a team that has worked for a lofty reg season record, though I believe a collision is almost imminent. Habs pro scouts should be everywhere the Leafs are. Trying to build kryptonite for Lupul and Kadri.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Our fan bases are huge, surely you understand there's fans on both sides that make stupid comparisons. Kadri's been awesome this year, but he's not that good, obviously lol.

I just laugh at the overconfidence showed by a lot of Leafs fans, like it would be an easy series. There's rarely an easy series but hey, Leafs fans don't remember what playoffs are ;)

The Leafs are obviously a good team with an experienced coach and some very good offensive tools. The D is okay IMO but the question mark is in the nets. Even if Reimer has been good, the playoffs are a whole 'nother beast. I'd prefer the Habs to finish 2nd and play the Rangers (they have to finish 7th) than to play the Isles or the Leafs but I would still, objectively, consider the Habs favorite in a match up with the Leafs.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I came over to Habs board for tickets thread, but..

Just wanted to let you guys know that from the games that I've seen, your forecheck is the 2nd best, 2nd to Chicago. Love watching that type of hockey.

Also, when a Leafs fan claims that he'd rather have his team face Habs than Bruins, it is not because we expect to outright win the series (I'd give 50-50 to each team at this point), but it is because we don't want to face the Bruins.

PS: at least one of Orr and MacLaren won't be playing in playoffs. There are skilled players who are sitting right now who'd replace them.

We don't care.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Habs pro scouts should be everywhere the Leafs are. Trying to build kryptonite for Lupul and Kadri.

Sounds like a job for Plekanec. Our series vs. Pittsburgh in 2010, Crosby was held to 5 pts, and Malkin was held to 3. Plekanec is awesome at shutting guys down.

Jake5

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal, QC
Sounds like a job for Plekanec. Our series vs. Pittsburgh in 2010, Crosby was held to 5 pts, and Malkin was held to 3. Plekanec is awesome at shutting guys down.

the best part is now that we actually have some real scoring depth so Plekanec can really focus on shadowing opposing stars and not have to worry about trying to lead the offense at the same time!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Honestly, I'm more afraid of playing the Senators in the playoffs this year. We have a very solid group here and we're getting bodies back. While the Leafs would be fun, I'm not really afraid of them. The Sens scare the crap out of me though because everything about them screams spoiler this year.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
the best part is now that we actually have some real scoring depth so Plekanec can really focus on shadowing opposing stars and not have to worry about trying to lead the offense at the same time!

This is a very good point. Plekanec, Eller, and Halpern can all shut down rather well.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
leafs don't scare me one bit, the only team that scares me in the east is the sens, they always play us tough something about it, we don't seem to match up to well with them.

x15Kotkaniemi15x

May 22, 2011
Toronto
Honestly, its not that im scared of the Leafs (I think we'd win the series), its the fact that I live in toronto and if the leafs did win.........................................................

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If I ain't afraid of the Bruins I sure as hell ain't afraid of the Leafs. The thread on the main board is funny.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
as much as the trolling and flaming has begun, I think back to MT talking about respecting their opponents and being humble. After the 6-0 loss, this team grew and changed for the better. Bring on the Leafs.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Thoughts?

well since this is not the main board, my honest answer is that yes i am worried. not because you have a great team, frankly i was scared when you guys sucked balls. it's a matchup thing. same with us and boston (we always seem to do well), or us and islanders (always seem to do terribad).

but, matchup aside, the BIGGEST reason why i do not want this series to happen is because of what it would do to HF. the thread simply mentioning the possibility of a habs/leafs series is like swimming in an ocean of ****. if we lose the series, it turns the main board and this one into an insufferable pile of ****. i mean, the whining would be so dense, it would probably cause the servers to collapse on themselves and turn into a black hole.

on the other hand, a habs win would turn the main board into an insufferable pile of ****.

so it's kind of a lose a little/lose a lot scenario. like a furry orgy, no one walks out of it with any dignity left

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We will get to the Stanley Cup final, facing the San Jose Sharks and Gomez will score the game winning goal in overtime of game 7... seriously, how bad would that be ? :cry:

Those are my two favourite teams... so that's honestly the best case scenario for me! :handclap: I want my Sharks to have a cup too. :P

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
My honest feelings?

1) we've got a very fast and talented team with depth up front, and a solid goalie. We COULD potentially make some noise

however,

2) 3 very small forwards in the top 6, one of them being a rookie (albiet with great hustle), one of them being cold for most of the season.......i just dont see us matching up very well against a bigger team. we're not going to get nearly as many PPs in the playoffs and....i just dont see deshernais as a legit number 2 center in the playoffs, particularly against certain teams.

3) with emelin out, can't really predict how our D will hold up.

4) as someone mentioned above, its a crapshoot and anything can happen!

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
Ffs I don't want to play the bruins or the leafs. for the love of my heart, no

It's not that I don't think we can beat them, it's more just that rivalry games can go either way.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Look at the brightside; one of us will be in the second round! ha

Is there some myth out there that Habs fans want the leafs to do well or something. Maybe that "canadian team" nonsense? There is no bright side of the leafs making to the second round by beating us. You honestly would feel good about us beating you just cuz one of us is in the second round?:laugh:

I want 2nd back. Need a less intense (just even on the heart) series first, then fine, leafs or bruins later. The team really needs to cut out these Philly and Wash games. Oh right, we're playing buffalo next!

Why are we the only team that can beat the bruins?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad