Honest feeling about playoffs?

onemorecup*

Honestly, I think this year is a learning one for the youngsters who will experince the playoffs for the first time and will know what it takes to win it all next year.

I think next year is where we will have a legitimate shot.

we will get worn down in the playoffs , we can win a round , but I dont see a cup for us .

next year with 82 games , new format , who knows but we are not as deep or big as other teams , enjoy its gravy this year , totally unexpected

almostjesus*

People who keep pulling the size card are starting to get annoying.

Height has nothing to do with anything. It's all about weight. Some of our guys could stand to gain a few more pounds but aside from that we're on par with most other teams.

I predict we win the cup this year.

If we get more injuries we get to ECF.

Book it. Where do I place my vcash bets

Moroccan

Mar 16, 2013
HABS World
Going from 15th last season to the playoffs this season is more than what most of us expected. Of course I hope we can go far in the playoffs.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
This.

Nothing would shock me in the playoffs with this team.

Total crapshoot. Price could get hot like Roy in 1986. PK could play out of his mind like Doughty last year. Will Crosby be healthy? The team plays hard every night. We've got a solid goalie and a good PP. It's enough to win if everything falls right.

Funny how all these "smart" teams acquired proven playoff veterans. Recently teams filled with playof veterans like San Jose and Vancouver haven't won the cup. Whereas young upstart teams like Chicago and LA have.

This is why I'm glad we didn't overspend for trades at the deadline. Tinordi or Beaulieu could blow up just like Dipietro in 93. Who knows?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Please stop advertising for that clown, he embarasses Habs fans. Not to mention it's a giant jinx every year.

How does he embarrass Habs' fans? He made a corny song... and probably made a little bit of money off of it.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
The defensmen are too small and too fragile to hope for long cup run, IMO, and they can be very shaky as a group sometimes.

...but they can win one round, if not two...

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
With this sudden ''we're not calling anything unless its completely blatant'' reffing we've seen the last 2 games that is almost certainly going to continue in the playoffs based on recent history, I'm not confident at all in our chances.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I do not understand this post regarding Bourque.

He played 17 games and scored 5 goals.

So far through 38 games, the Habs have scored 120 goals. Honestly, Bourque has not been missed at all.

It is as if Rene Bourque has become a mythical figure of superstar hockey skills here on this board.

He is now a meme.

The bigger issue facing the Habs will be if Beaulieu can adequately replace Emelin.

No he brings more than just goal scoring. He's a Kostitsyn with some defense in him that's more than just goals. His addition with more ice time would be make a difference.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Well if we keep losing to inferior teams- something Boston seems to avoid more- then we'll get passed and finish 4th and possibly 5th if the Leafs stay hot and then we'd be playing them. Price has never been good against them, they own us in our own building and have looked impressive even with unprovens like Reimer and Scrivens in net. I don't think we could win that series sadly. They're much too physical for us. It'd go 6 or 7 but even if we win, we'd be out of gas for the next round. If we get 2nd we can draw the Isles or Rangers and not face quite as physically draining a series.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
We suck on defense... I'm not confident at all that we'll even make the playoffs anymore.

Dude... Do the math... We need 3 lousy points to make the playoffs AND NJ would have to run the table.
Try some Prozac and a calculator next time before you post!:shakehead

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
My quick take on our potential round 1 opponents:

WSH - Absolutely own us in Montreal. Probably winning their division anyway.
OTT - Getting 2, if not all 3 of Spezza-Karlsson-Cowen back it appears and already a matchup problem for us.
TOR - It would be a freaking circus and a total ''Toronto has nothing to lose'' type scenario. It would suck.
NJD - Facing Brodeur alone makes this :help: for me. And most of the team that went to SCF last year is still there.
NYR - Would hate facing Lundqvist. They are due to win in MTL too.
NYI - They absolutely own us. Even the game we beat them we did not play well.
WPG - The team I would most want to face, but even then, their arena would be a madhouse.

I'm fully prepared for a round 1 defeat. There's not a single team in there I would feel good about facing. This is awful. How the heck is this team leading their division and I am scared of most of the Conference?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
We might only need two wins to clinch a spot but are you confident that we can win even two games? I am not.

NJ has one game left against us.

:facepalm:

You're confident that every team below us will win ALL their games and that we won't even win 2 games? That's the only way we'll miss the playoffs, if both those things happen

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

OTT - Getting 2, if not all 3 of Spezza-Karlsson-Cowen back it appears and already a matchup problem for us.
TOR - It would be a freaking circus and a total ''Toronto has nothing to lose'' type scenario. It would suck.
NJD - Facing Brodeur alone makes this :help: for me. And most of the team that went to SCF last year is still there.
WPG - The team I would most want to face, but even then, their arena would be a madhouse.

I'm fully prepared for a round 1 defeat. There's not a single team in there I would feel good about facing. This is awful. How the heck is this team leading their division and I am scared of most of the Conference?

So basically we're already out of the playoffs before they've already began? Some habs fans I tell you, you would think pessimism is a requirement in order to cheer for this team :help:

The habs have surprised us all so far this season, there's no doubt in my mind they can surprise us in the post-season too.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
But that's why there is no X next to the Habs in the standings yet...

...because we haven't statistically clinched the playoffs yet? I said if we lose every single game by the end of the season I'm sure we'd finish 7th or 8th by the end of the season assuming only one of the teams below us lose 2-3 games (which is a more than realistic assumption).

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
If we slipped to 7th we're in for big trouble in round 1... Boston, of all teams. Sure, we can make it go to 6-7 games, and it looks winnable, but, even so, we can't go much further than round 2. And I sure don't want the Habs to finish the season at #6, after tonight's game.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So basically we're already out of the playoffs before they've already began? Some habs fans I tell you, you would think pessimism is a requirement in order to cheer for this team :help:

The habs have surprised us all so far this season, there's no doubt in my mind they can surprise us in the post-season too.

So who would you feel good about facing? I see bad matchups for our team in a 7 game series all over the standings.

What's even more bizarre is there are several teams that won't be in (BUF, PHI and TB) that I would dread facing too. :dunno:

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

I'll say it again.

Its the other clubs are leery of meeting Montreal.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
There will be no free lunch. Every series will be heart attack inducing to the bone, and probably go 6-7 games. Most likely, the Leafs or Isles would rout us cuz our defense is exploitable for the 10% in which they have to JUST...WIN...THEIR...BATTLES.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Losing Emelin, one of the leagues best hitters will hurt this team.

I understand the rational behind calling up Beaulieu but I think he's still way too virgin for playoffs.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So who would you feel good about facing? I see bad matchups for our team in a 7 game series all over the standings.

What's even more bizarre is there are several teams that won't be in (BUF, PHI and TB) that I would dread facing too. :dunno:

Maple Leafs - I'd feel confident against Toronto due to their lack of experience where it matters most (goalies) and their most productive center (Kadri) has no experience either and that will hurt them a lot.

Bruins - I feel confident against the Bruins too, I find its a matchup that can go either way...who took them to game 7 two years ago? We have a good track record against the Bruins, if we meet them I won't be disappointed even if we wind up with a loss but I certainly wouldn't expect one.

Rangers - They haven't scored a goal on us all season, I know they're bound to score some on us sooner or later but their offense isn't as good as it looks on paper, they're a team that has trouble scoring goals and we've done well against them in terms of scoring goals this season, so why can't it continue?

Jets - What has Winnipeg done to habs for them to be worried about them? if anything I'd like to have them as our matchup, i don't care if their arena is loud. If their crowd cheers hard then the bell center will cheer even harder...

Senators - Ottawa's Karlsson won't be ready for the playoffs imo, he's only started skating and the playoffs are way too close for him to make a return. Spezza has already been ruled out for the playoffs IIRC...that leafs Alfredsson, Anderson, Turris, Latendresse and a bunch of rookies or inexperienced players with no playoff experience.

Only team I would be worried about is the NYI, WSH and PIT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad