GDT: Honda Presents Honda West Division @ Honda Center: Honda Avs @ Honda Ducks | 8 PM MT

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I’m just realizing that Rantanen scored on that Byram pass. I was way too pumped about the pass to even realize who scored. Mikko’s been awesome this season.

I really think the Avs have to make a trade for help in the bottom-9. Clearly Kaut isn’t going to do it, if Bednar has no faith in him to even play him. They might need to trade for two guys and really try to reshape that part of the roster.

I’m legitimately concerned about Bednar’s decision making. Girard was below 20 minutes for the 3rd straight game, while Graves/Pateryn each played close to 17 minutes. Like, did he not realize they were getting abused? EJ is going to be a huge upgrade when he bumps Pateryn out of the lineup.

What can say about Bowen Byram? He plays with a level of calm on offence and defence that is so rare for someone that age and fresh into the league. I really liked him next to both Makar and Girard.

Grubauer was the best player on the ice. Just excellent. I feel really good about him being the Avs number one.
Avs took 5 penalties tonight. That's 10 minutes worth of ice time. Graves and Pateryn play the PK, Girard doesn't.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m legitimately concerned about Bednar’s decision making. Girard was below 20 minutes for the 3rd straight game, while Graves/Pateryn each played close to 17 minutes. Like, did he not realize they were getting abused? EJ is going to be a huge upgrade when he bumps Pateryn out of the lineup.
Not that I disagree, but 4:20 of Pateryn's 16:44 came on the PK, while 6:48 of Graves' 17:40 came on the PK. Ryan Graves only played 10:52 of Even Strength tonight, by far the lowest on the team. Let's hope Bednar is starting to realize Graves sucks and needs to be given sheltered #6 minutes upon EJ's return.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Big reason Avs sucked today was the D wasn't playing well on top of the lack of depth. Personally I think it was mostly the Graves-Pateryn pairing and the team missing Timmins' quiet effectiveness.
I wasnt a fan of Timmins last game but I will take him over Guenin and Graves all day. Let Gilbert play another game and pair him with Timmins atleast that pair has one guy who can transition the puck.

Reactions: UncleRisto

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not that I disagree, but 4:20 of Pateryn's 16:44 came on the PK, while 6:48 of Graves' 17:40 came on the PK. Ryan Graves only played 10:52 of Even Strength tonight, by far the lowest on the team. Let's hope Bednar is starting to realize Graves sucks and needs to be given sheltered #6 minutes upon EJ's return.
And he was directly responsible for 2 goals in those 11 minutes.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
His skating and ability to play in any situation (or side of the ice since he’s been playing right too), piles up the minutes. He’s going to be such a key part of this team.

Toews has been awesome this year. Much better than I anticipated. The fact that he can PK is a real luxury for this defence. I actually wish we had a couple more years on that contract, but he’s a steal for 4 years at 4 million.

The top-4 is shaping up to be pretty special. If not this season, certainly next year at the latest.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Toews and Girard clearly have chemistry. Everytime Makar was paired with Byram Makar looked dangerous. This seems pretty simple. Put Timmins back in the lineup with ...sigh.. Graves or Gilbert and now you have 3 pairings with atleast one guy who can move the puck. When EJ comes back you revisit the pairings if you must.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Toews and Girard clearly have chemistry. Everytime Makar was paired with Byram Makar looked dangerous. This seems pretty simple. Put Timmins back in the lineup with ...sigh.. Graves or Gilbert and now you have 3 pairings with atleast one guy who can move the puck. When EJ comes back you revisit the pairings if you must.
I'm fairly confident once EJ returns we'll see:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Graves
Byram - EJ

As much as I want to see Timmins get into the lineup, I don't think Bednar trusts him very much whereas he's got a "known" commodity in Graves.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I think these road games showed that Avalanche has a reasonable chance to get to playoffs. They can challenge both Kings and Ducks to an even match. Goaltending needs to be really good in order to win those games though.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm fairly confident once EJ returns we'll see:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Graves
Byram - EJ

As much as I want to see Timmins get into the lineup, I don't think Bednar trusts him very much whereas he's got a "known" commodity in Graves.
Jared seemed to like Timmins in his post game talking about good young dman in the league. I think its a matter of when not if. Graves has a few more games like this and if Timmins continues to be solid thats going to change.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Toews has been awesome this year. Much better than I anticipated. The fact that he can PK is a real luxury for this defence. I actually wish we had a couple more years on that contract, but he’s a steal for 4 years at 4 million.

The top-4 is shaping up to be pretty special. If not this season, certainly next year at the latest.
Toews is doing everything I saw him do last year on the Island that made me excited when we traded for him. One thing that caught a little by surprise was his skating. I knew it was good but I didnt think it was as good as it has been.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Jared seemed to like Timmins in his post game talking about good young dman in the league. I think its a matter of when not if. Graves has a few more games like this and if Timmins continues to be solid thats going to change.

I think during regular season you should give chances to a lot of players and nail the lineup later in the season.

I can guarantee this team will suffer some injuries and it would be smart to be prepared for those and not have totally cold players. I like the rotation they have done so far.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad