GDT: Honda Presents Honda West Division @ Honda Center: Honda Avs @ Honda Ducks | 8 PM MT

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Toews has been awesome this year. Much better than I anticipated. The fact that he can PK is a real luxury for this defence. I actually wish we had a couple more years on that contract, but he’s a steal for 4 years at 4 million.

The top-4 is shaping up to be pretty special. If not this season, certainly next year at the latest.

This team would have a negative record without Toews, especially since Makar has been pretty pedestrian.

Our defense would’ve been:

Graves - Makar
Girard - Timmins
Gilbert - Cole

to start the season.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Toews and Girard clearly have chemistry. Everytime Makar was paired with Byram Makar looked dangerous. This seems pretty simple. Put Timmins back in the lineup with ...sigh.. Graves or Gilbert and now you have 3 pairings with atleast one guy who can move the puck. When EJ comes back you revisit the pairings if you must.

It’s crazy to think about, but if he can keep it up, maybe you do put Byram in the top-4. He was legit the teams best defenceman in the 3rd period.

You can put them in whatever order you want, but there really does seem to be a natural chemistry with Byram/Makar.

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
Graves - EJ

This would also be suitable while Byram gets more experience:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - Graves/Timmins

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
What is the current situation with expansion draft loss? Does it seem reasonable it is one of the defensemen, or is there a lot of exemptions? Does Makar need to be protected.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Toews-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Byram-EJ

What is the current situation with expansion draft loss? Does it seem reasonable it is one of the defensemen, or is there a lot of exemptions? Does Makar need to be protected.

Makar has to be protected. Timmins, Byram do not. So you protect Makar, Girard, Toews. Maybe EJ too, since there are hardly any forwards beyond the Big 3 worth protecting.

Reactions: Jaymond Flurrie

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm fairly confident once EJ returns we'll see:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Graves
Byram - EJ

As much as I want to see Timmins get into the lineup, I don't think Bednar trusts him very much whereas he's got a "known" commodity in Graves.

yoy guys are hyper obsessed with the D. Anaheim got all of two goals. Lots of throwing pucks towards the net and hoping. The problem remains the top 9. Those guys are making these games competitive with their ineptitude.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Toews-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Byram-EJ

Makar has to be protected. Timmins, Byram do not. So you protect Makar, Girard, Toews. Maybe EJ too, since there are hardly any forwards beyond the Big 3 worth protecting.

Protecting a forward can be advantageous for the team. Such as protecting Saad to force Seattle to take a player with salary. That way you get Saad off the books as a UFA and a player under contract getting a nice chunk of cap space. Seattle taking EJ seems unlikely.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Girard, Byram, and Makar with the primary assists and all three were great plays by them. The present and future is bright between them and Toews, whose only 26.

(And Pateryn)

And Toews/Girard are signed for four seasons for only 9 million combined. Hopefully that will allow the Avs to keep Byram/Makar long term as well.

Reactions: klozge

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Protecting a forward can be advantageous for the team. Such as protecting Saad to force Seattle to take a player with salary. That way you get Saad off the books as a UFA and a player under contract getting a nice chunk of cap space. Seattle taking EJ seems unlikely.

EJ has a NMC and I doubt he waives. We need to dump Compher on them somehow.

Welcome to HF

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Anyone have an angle on the Ducks second goal that shows it clearly in. I believe it was, but got caught up in an internet debate about it (spectating) and now I am curious.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
We won in OT? Jesus, when did this happen the last time?

I´ll take the Win and points, but man, beside our first line there is something wrong in denmark! If this mess goes on we arte in big trouble pretty soon. You can´t just rely on your star players to get the job done every night....

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Good teams tend to find ways to win games even when they're not playing well.

Avs managed to do exactly that tonight. Obviously they weren't playing well, but guys stepped up when needed, Grubauer played excellent, and they squeaked out 2 points.

Really need to figure things out at 5 on 5 here soon though. Cant keep relying on the PP and the Dmen to generate all of our offense.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
It’s crazy to think about, but if he can keep it up, maybe you do put Byram in the top-4. He was legit the teams best defenceman in the 3rd period.

You can put them in whatever order you want, but there really does seem to be a natural chemistry with Byram/Makar.

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
Graves - EJ

Should be like this. Makar and Byram with their offensive talents on the second line to make up for the current offensive ineptitude of second line forwards.

Important question, will all the regular season games be played strictly within the West division? If yes, i guess no Avs games for me this year, as that means 3-4 AM times for me...f*** such season. Continents cant collide fast enough.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Couldn’t comment last night, but Graves made me throw my remote twice.

He’s brain dead.

Simple, easy plays are there.

Retrieve the puck in your zone and fire it around the boards. Nope. Try to reverse it into traffic.

Stay in front of the net when the puck is in the opposite corner. Nope. Puck watch and drift away from the slot, leaving wide open one-timers on goal.

The opponent is clearly winning that puck, retreat and give up their blue line. Nope. Stand still like a f***ing pylon and wave your stick at the guy before giving up a clear odd-man break.

Every decision he makes is baffling.

What a stupid hockey player.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Should be like this. Makar and Byram with their offensive talents on the second line to make up for the current offensive ineptitude of second line forwards.

Important question, will all the regular season games be played strictly within the West division? If yes, i guess no Avs games for me this year, as that means 3-4 AM times for me...f*** such season. Continents cant collide fast enough.

Yes, all within division until "conference" finals.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t think Pateryn has been as bad as most people are letting on. He’s been better than Cole and even Graves who only looked good once this year and it was when he was paired with Girard who had the best game of his career.

I’d rather Timmins in general but with EJ down I have no issues with Pateryn filling in and playing 11 5v5 minutes like he did last night while eating the heavy PK minutes. Graves was the real problem on the back end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad