Holtby best remaining goalie in the playoffs

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
When you want to win a game 7, you chose Lundqvist.

Quick is the only other goalie I would even consider, but would still take Lundqvist.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Yeah these two are just GREAT tonight......WHAT A CLINIC!!!!!

How about they take notes from Price last night!

I love how a 42-save win sprinkled with highlight reel saves isn't a good win.

So many fan boys in here.

Holtby and Henrik played great tonight, and like Elliot pointed out tonight, they're still a couple notches down from Richter/Brodeur of '97.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe lundqvist is the only goalie left in the playoffs who has NOT allowed 4 or more goals in a game. While i'm at it he's also only allowed 3 once the entire playoffs.

Not good enough to worth a mention though, right? :sarcasm:
(notice how i didn't go all LUNDQVIST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EVERYONE ELSE)

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
:laugh: No it's not.

Lundqvist is .921/2.26 across 620 GP. Price is .919/2.44 across 435 GP. Fairly close, yeah.

But... Lundqvist steps UP his game in the playoffs to the tune of .924/2.17 over a whopping 102 GP, while Price wilts under pressure in the form of .912/2.61 -- and that's playing practically half as many games. Larger sample size = more impressive.

Price has plenty of time to catch up. Sure. He needs it. Not even sure what numbers he'll need over his next 50 playoff games to catch up to Lundqvist but I know they're a lot better than what he's currently managing.

Then you come in here with all your real numbers and making sense and stuff lol ;)

Cheers

Reaganomics

Apr 13, 2013
Uppsala
I refuse to believe that even the most ardent Habs fan would consider Price to be a better playoff goalie than Hank. Hank's putting on a clinic out there and I expect him to continue it in game 7 (tip: take a look at his game 7 stats).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe lundqvist is the only goalie left in the playoffs who has NOT allowed 4 or more goals in a game. While i'm at it he's also only allowed 3 once the entire playoffs.

Allowed 4 in game 2 against Pitt. Including tonight's game, he's only allowed more than 2 twice.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
Haha so you're calling me a fanboy? Pot meet kettle etc
Nope, I'm not, just pointed out that you jumped to a conclusion after ignoring the smilie which indicated I'm not being entirely serious. Relax, gunner.

The King > Holtby/Price so far this playoffs. 3 of my 4 fave goalies. (Ramo being the other, has really impressed me)

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Nope, I'm not, just pointed out that you jumped to a conclusion after ignoring the smilie which indicated I'm not being entirely serious. Relax, gunner.

The King > Holtby/Price so far this playoffs. 3 of my 4 fave goalies. (Ramo being the other, has really impressed me)

Ok, my bad. I had just read "Chokeqvist" in the GDT and jumped to conclusions. I apologize.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I refuse to believe that even the most ardent Habs fan would consider Price to be a better playoff goalie than Hank. Hank's putting on a clinic out there and I expect him to continue it in game 7 (tip: take a look at his game 7 stats).

As a habs fan, I personally don't care. The only thing I dislike is looking at the career numbers. By the time Lundqvist played an NHL playoff game he was 24 and played 3. When Price was 24 he had already played 26.

Furthermore when you look at Lundqvist's numbers when he was 27 and younger they weren't really outstanding, much like Price.

The rest of course, if people want to say Lundqvist is more clutch now then I'm cool with it.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Allowed 4 in game 2 against Pitt. Including tonight's game, he's only allowed more than 2 twice.

Price has allowed more than 2 thrice. Same for Holtby.

Not using it as an argument for anything but it's not really surprising given that these guys need to be solid to reach 2nd round and further so it's normal.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Lundqvist and Holtby are tied for sure. The series between them has been an absolute clinic. Lundqvist has made more spectacular saves but Holtby is 8 years younger yet is always ahead of the play, I've been very impressed with his performance.

Reaganomics

Apr 13, 2013
Uppsala
Lundqvist and Holtby are tied for sure. The series between them has been an absolute clinic. Lundqvist has made more spectacular saves but Holtby is 8 years younger yet is always ahead of the play, I've been very impressed with his performance.

Even though they lost that game, I was really impressed with Holtby in game 5. Caps were giving up high-grade oppurtunities on a consistent basis and Holtby made several great saves. On top of that, he made it look easy. So poised and calm, playing like a battle scared playoff-veteran. Caps goalie issues are a thing of the past.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

While you are at it, look at who plays is front of them.

One of holtby or lundquist's season ends next game. Prices could as well. Irrespective of who lives, their playoff contributions go poof because no one lauds a player who played well enough to pose round 2 in 7 games.

It's the same insanity that causes many on this board to call price pedestrian or a bust when the habs couldn't score and went down 3-0.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Lundqvist is now 13-3 with a 1.42 goals-against average, a .955 save percentage and two shutouts in his last 16 games facing elimination. Since the start of last year’s playoffs, Lundqvist is 7-1 when the Rangers have been on the brink, saving 286 of 298 shots.

There’s no one else you would rather have standing between the pipes in a series-deciding Game 7. Lundqvist is 5-0 with a 0.80 GAA, a .973 save percentage, and one SO in his last five Game 7 appearances.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

if Price was on the Rangers they probably would have won a cup by now, you have to factor in their team aswell.

LyNX27

if Price was on the Rangers they probably would have won a cup by now, you have to factor in their team aswell.

Wait, so you're saying Price is better than Lunqdvist to the tune of he would have done better than him in the play-offs?

Not really sure where this is coming from. Lundqvist is widely regarded as one of the only reasons the Rangers have made the play-offs most years. He's dragged them kicking and screaming through some pretty offensively flaccid years.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY

Holy cow this post is laughable. And I absolutely can't wait for the follow up response.

Please state the year and give a well-reasoned argument when the Rangers would've won a Cup with Price in net.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lundqvist is now 13-3 with a 1.42 goals-against average, a .955 save percentage and two shutouts in his last 16 games facing elimination. Since the start of last year’s playoffs, Lundqvist is 7-1 when the Rangers have been on the brink, saving 286 of 298 shots.

There’s no one else you would rather have standing between the pipes in a series-deciding Game 7. Lundqvist is 5-0 with a 0.80 GAA, a .973 save percentage, and one SO in his last five Game 7 appearances.

Lundqvist is terrific, but this 'Mr. Game-7' balloon needs to be busted. All it means is that Hank loses series before they get to seven games. His final series in 2014 ended in five games. Again, this isn't a knock against Lundqvist himself, just the flawed game-seven meme that's used to artificially inflate him.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ

That really is insane

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
You don't want to face Lundqvist in game 7, you just don't. Too bad for Capitals fans, but the King brings it in these situations.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Is there a site that you can find game 7 stats? I'm curious as to what Price's are. He's played 3 that I can remember and I think he has 2 shut outs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad