Holtby best remaining goalie in the playoffs

edinson

May 11, 2012
Is there a site that you can find game 7 stats? I'm curious as to what Price's are. He's played 3 that I can remember and I think he has 2 shut outs.

He's 2-1, 1.67 GAA, .944 SV%, 1 SO.

Edit: The games are all against Boston, in 08, 11 and 14.

Edit again: got the SV% number all wrong.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's King and then the rest, he's a beast. Holtby has been great but I'd choose King every time, then price 3rd fighting against Crawford.

Speaking just playoffs.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He's 2-1, 1.67 GAA, .944 SV%, 1 SO.

Edit: The games are all against Boston, in 08, 11 and 14.

Edit again: got the SV% number all wrong.

Pretty damn impressive. For some reason I thought last year they beat Boston 3-0 but I guess I was wrong. My memory has deceived me lol.

.944 sv% in game 7's is pretty darn impressive. Not as good as the King, but something I doubt Tampa wants to test.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
It's King and then the rest, he's a beast. Holtby has been great but I'd choose King every time, then price 3rd fighting against Crawford.

Speaking just playoffs.
the difference between price and crawford is so profound that saying they perform the same job feels like a technicality. one has a middling track record and already got benched for a series this postseason and the other is the league MVP.

the best playoff goalies remaining are the best goalies remaining. price and lundqvist. holtby' s a notch below the conversation and bishop/crawford are so far out of it that they might as well be discussed in an arcane dead language

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
the difference between price and crawford is so profound that saying they perform the same job feels like a technicality. one has a middling track record and already got benched for a series this postseason and the other is the league MVP.

the best playoff goalies remaining are the best goalies remaining. price and lundqvist. holtby' s a notch below the conversation and bishop/crawford are so far out of it that they might as well be discussed in an arcane dead language

Crawford has his moments in the playoffs and a cup, + he plays in the west, but he is not close to Kings level.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Do you update those? Like after this playoffs would you go and change Lundqvist's stats? Also do you think you could you do one for Holtby?

Yep - my intent is to update each offseason (because I do more than mutual elimination games, but any game where a team can be eliminated, it would change too often otherwise).

Here's Holtby (through last night):

Situation | GP | W | L | Actual SV% | Expected SV% | S+/30
All Games|33|16|17|0.935|0.910|+0.75
Can Eliminate|9|2|7|0.918|0.910|+0.23
Can be Eliminated|5|3|2|0.924|0.910|+0.43
Mutual Elimination|4|2|2|0.911|0.910|+0.02

(These results form do not form a partition. Mutual Elimination games are included in all three "elimination" categories)

And Holtby's game sevens:

Game | Result | Score | Shots | Exp Saves | Actual Saves
4/25/2012 at Boston|W|2-1 OT|32|29.0|31
5/12/2012 at NY Rangers|L|1-2|31|28.2|29
5/13/2013 vs. NY Rangers|L|0-5|27|24.8|22
4/27/2015 vs. NY Islanders|W|2-1|11|10.1|10

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Crawford has his moments in the playoffs and a cup, + he plays in the west, but he is not close to Kings level.

Crawford, like most #1 goalies go from unreal to mediocre from time to time. They all do it, it's the length of the former that separates the elite from the good. Lucky for Crawford, his team in front of him can afford to cover up mistakes or poor play, whereas the Rangers, Caps and Canadiens cannot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Crawford, like most #1 goalies go from unreal to mediocre from time to time. They all do it, it's the length of the former that separates the elite from the good. Lucky for Crawford, his team in front of him can afford to cover up mistakes or poor play, whereas the Rangers, Caps and Canadiens cannot.

Absolutely, his 2013 run was great but still I'm not his biggest fan. I was just giving him credit and he plays in the west which is much tougher than the east, would like to see how good Price/Holtby would be in the west.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
We all have one goalie that we prefer over the others. I think the Price fans have been pretty levelheaded in this one. Except for TT1 but I'm asuming that was a joke.

The thread is about best remaining goalie in the playoffs, these current playoffs. There are 6 remaining goalies left right now and Price is #5 of 6. He's great and just had a great regular season with definite Vezina and probable MVP recognition, but he's #5 in these playoffs. Bishop and Andersen are closer to the discussion, but it's currently a 2 horse race with Holtby leading the way.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Absolutely, his 2013 run was great but still I'm not his biggest fan. I was just giving him credit and he plays in the west which is much tougher than the east, would like to see how good Price/Holtby would be in the west.

and the teams in the west ( and some of the teams left in the east) have a far better defense than the habs.

corey crawford is the definition of a system goalie, he's niemi part deux. in the hypothetical of win that one game or one series and you get to pick your goalie, the only people taking crawford are massochists.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The thread is about best remaining goalie in the playoffs, these current playoffs. There are 6 remaining goalies left right now and Price is #5 of 6. He's great and just had a great regular season with definite Vezina and probable MVP recognition, but he's #5 in these playoffs. Bishop and Andersen are closer to the discussion, but it's currently a 2 horse race with Holtby leading the way.

11 games, 5 so far against the team that led the league in scoring, 8 games 2 goals or less. 8.

you think that either bishop or freddy anderson or corey crawford/darling ( remember him ?) have played better than price ?

pshaw!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
and the teams in the west ( and some of the teams left in the east) have a far better defense than the habs.

corey crawford is the definition of a system goalie, he's niemi part deux. in the hypothetical of win that one game or one series and you get to pick your goalie, the only people taking crawford are massochists.

I'm not choosing Crawford, just saying that he had a great run in 2013 and was a big reason why they won, he wasn't Niemi.
For 1 game 7 I'd always take King, then Price, Holtby, Crawford out of these who are left.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You do realize he's had exactly zero goal support, yes? Price has been the only thing keeping Montreal from getting blown out half the time.

To be honest Tampa has been boring and that series has been boring.

Next round a different story.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

The reason this analysis is poor is that it's based entirely on a SV% that changes so much with one or two games. Plus there's zero context. Ranking Holtby first makes sense -- limited sample as it is -- but placing Andersen ahead of Price is ridiculous. Andersen faced Winnipeg (16th in scoring) and Calgary (7th), compared to Price who faced Ottawa (9th) and the #1 offensive team in the league, Tampa. And even against inferior offence, Andersen's SV% is only, what, four points higher?

Simply put, Price has had a much tougher job than Andersen so far. Now, if Andersen can maintain a plus-.925 SV% against Chicago, then you'll have a case. But right now, this 'best goalie' debate is clearly between Holtby, Price and Lundqvist, with any of the three subject to swapping places in the next 60 hours.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pretty damn impressive. For some reason I thought last year they beat Boston 3-0 but I guess I was wrong. My memory has deceived me lol.

.944 sv% in game 7's is pretty darn impressive. Not as good as the King, but something I doubt Tampa wants to test.

Carey Price est très dominant lorsqu’il fait face à l’élimination depuis un peu plus d’un an. Le gardien du CH possède une fiche parfaite de 7-0 lorsque son équipe doit absolument signer une victoire afin de ne pas subir l’élimination.
Price maintient ce dossier depuis son aventure aux Jeux olympiques de Sotchi avec la formation canadienne.

7-0 since the olympics in elimination games (Including Olympics.)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
So you're counting the three elimination round games that he played with Canada in the Olympics? That's not even a tiny bit misleading.

As long as he says what he's doing (which he does), I don't see the problem with it.

It'd be misleading if he said 7-0 without mentioning that he was including the Olympics. Although I did fact-check it, and I have to admit that it took me a few tries to realize what was being counted (I match when "elimination game" includes all games where Price's team can be eliminated).

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I still see too many questionable moments from Holtby when the heat is really turned up. I did not like either goal in the 3rd last night, did not like the goal in the Isles game, nor the Kreider goal in game 5 which I think was NOT deflected off Orpik's skate like some think. That said he is still young and that can change, I thought Lundqvist had a tendency to allow goals at bad times in the playoffs earlier in his career as well. The Fedorov goal in game 7, the tying and winning goals in game 7 in Buffalo in 09 or whatever were both not great, the Mike Green 50 foot slapper 3 or 4 years go late in game 4...he's been much better the last 2-3 postseasons.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I still see too many questionable moments from Holtby when the heat is really turned up. I did not like either goal in the 3rd last night, did not like the goal in the Isles game, nor the Kreider goal in game 5 which I think was NOT deflected off Orpik's skate like some think. That said he is still young and that can change, I thought Lundqvist had a tendency to allow goals at bad times in the playoffs earlier in his career as well. The Fedorov goal in game 7, the tying and winning goals in game 7 in Buffalo in 09 or whatever were both not great, the Mike Green 50 foot slapper 3 or 4 years go late in game 4...he's been much better the last 2-3 postseasons.
That Federov shot was an absolute snipe.

Not that it still haunts my dreams or anything...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->